dcsimg

Nail Set. Spring Loaded & Not Loaded

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t like having a hammer on me when trimming so it would be nice to have on me and not need a hammer to set a few nail.

That’s what I like is the no hammer to carry around.

Well this could solve my no tool buying lull I have been in. It will be small but will have to do..lol!

Yea when I’m jollying the base board around I don’t like to carry the hammer and If I don’t set the nail it may never get set. The painter are no good!

staker
    Pro

Never heard of them before, I will have to keep an eye out for them.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Spring tools had a Booth at the International Builders Show last week in LasVegas. they have a set of letter and number stamps that work with the springs also.

http://springtools.shptron.com/

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t have a spring loaded but I want to try one.
    In the mean time I use this Wiss

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

they have a set of letter and number stamps that work with the springs also.

That sounds interesting. Guess I’ll check those out too.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I have the Spring Toosls set, they work well. My wife likes them also for when she is filling nailholes on trim. It is much easier for her to use than a standard ail set. This is my favorite nail set however. It is a lot easier to hold and mire ergonomic than a standard nailset.

Kurt, where is that nail set from? Looks a bit like the Japanese style, but haven’t seen one like it before. Do you have to adjust the hammer swing because the nail set is so low?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Spring tools had a Booth at the International Builders Show last week in LasVegas. they have a set of letter and number stamps that work with the springs also.

What kind of things do you use the numbers and letters for?

yellaD
    Pro

i’ve seen these around home depot and what not, i was using them with a hammer to mark spots i want to drill on annealed steel. I switched to a spring loaded marking tool. I didn’t realize they were using to set nails below the surface

There are spring loaded center-punches also, they have a point. The nail setters have different diameter flats or concaves.
    I have not used spring loaded nail setters before, my touch with it would prolly be way rough.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive used the spring loaded nailset.. its a good idea however its overpriced and the steel is too brittle on them.. the one i had chipped away after less than 100 nails..

as for a set i dont use actual nail sets.. i use machinist punches because they are the same diameter for about 1 1/2″ whereas a set is tapered.. it allows to punch nails through materials at times when you cant pull them

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the Spring Toosls set, they work well. My wife likes them also for when she is filling nailholes on trim. It is much easier for her to use than a standard ail set. This is my favorite nail set however. It is a lot easier to hold and mire ergonomic than a standard nailset.

Kurt, where is that nail set from? Looks a bit like the Japanese style, but haven’t seen one like it before. Do you have to adjust the hammer swing because the nail set is so low?

I got them at Berland’s House Of Tools in Chicago about 20 years ago. I think they are easier to hit and easier to see what you are doing as your hand is out of the way.

lI have not used the letters or number stamps, I just saw them. I do have a set of stamps that i use to label keys and other soft metal or wood objects.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I have only used standard sets myself

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Never tried the spring loaded nail setter, not sure if they have enough power. My Stanley set already have mushroomed tip from hammering.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Maybe to put your name on your tools? I used to use manual punches to mark key blanks…these would be much easier to use.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never tried the spring loaded nail setter, not sure if they have enough power. My Stanley set already have mushroomed tip from hammering.

Was wondering the same thing myself. Sometimes it takes 2 strikes to get a good impression.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have never used a spring loaded nail set, may have to order one. I have always used the tradition straight nail set but have recently upgraded to the Japanese style nail set from Lee Valley.

I’ve seen the Japanese style nails sets, they look good, but I haven’t used one. What do you like about them? Why do you consider them an upgrade over traditional nail sets.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

the japanese sets are really nice actually.. i have a couple.. i primarily use them for tight quarers since its more of a anvil style on one end..it works wonders when you have to set gun nails when your in the final few rows of hardwood when doing flooring

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I think I might have to try a Japanese style but in truth I rarely use sets any more unless the gun fails

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have never heard or seen spring loaded nail punches before . I must be getting old 🙂 I have several regular punches that I often use.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I think I might have to try a Japanese style but in truth I rarely use sets any more unless the gun fails

I thought you were a metal framer??

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

heres the japanese nail set. i buy mine through lee valley

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=40379&cat=1,53193&ap=1

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.519 seconds