dcsimg

Nail Set. Spring Loaded & Not Loaded

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Could not find the thread on these baby’s.. Merge if needed.

I find when doing trim that a nail set is a must have. I wish it weren’t but it is.. I’ve been using the spring loaded ones and they work good for me. As long a you don’t pull them into tomorrow and break the spring. I use the Spring Tools nail sets that made in the USofA
    http://springtools.shptron.com/
    Now I see these from Hart a TTI chinese company and I’ve sure these are made in china too. I see the clown selling them never says how well they work. Pure sales pitch.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I have never used a spring loaded nail set, may have to order one. I have always used the tradition straight nail set but have recently upgraded to the Japanese style nail set from Lee Valley.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I always thought they were BS till you recommended one a while back Dirty. I have looked for one a few times with no luck finding them. Now that Hart is making one it might just end up is some stores.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i’ve seen these around home depot and what not, i was using them with a hammer to mark spots i want to drill on annealed steel. I switched to a spring loaded marking tool. I didn’t realize they were using to set nails below the surface

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I always thought they were BS till you recommended one a while back Dirty. I have looked for one a few times with no luck finding them. Now that Hart is making one it might just end up is some stores.

Ron the ones Dirty recommends can be purchased at his link. They are not very expensive either.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Ron the ones Dirty recommends can be purchased at his link. They are not very expensive either.

Yea I just hate ordering anything online. I want to touch it first. lol

Ron

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Where I was tonight I wasn’t allowed to touch it

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Where I was tonight I wasn’t allowed to touch it

That’s why I don’t like shopping at those places ether.

Ron

I am still just a regular nail set guy too. I have seen the spring loaded ones in my Sherwin Williams but thought they seemed like a gimic. For no more than they cost I may try one. I don’t like having a hammer on me when trimming so it would be nice to have on me and not need a hammer to set a few nail.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Traditional nail set for me also. I think some of the spring loaded ones are too gimmicky.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I am still just a regular nail set guy too. I have seen the spring loaded ones in my Sherwin Williams but thought they seemed like a gimic. For no more than they cost I may try one. I don’t like having a hammer on me when trimming so it would be nice to have on me and not need a hammer to set a few nail.

I keep forgetting that SW has them. Going to have to try to remember next time there.

Ron

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have both types… But unfortunately All of my Spring tools nail punches are broken! After a short period of light use they all started to crack at the tips. Apparently they have a lifetime warranty…. But the manufacturer is impossible to contact. They don’t return calls or emails, so the warranty is kind of bogus.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am interested in the spring loaded nail sets. Never seen one but sounds interesting. I like my spring loaded center punches.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Could not find the thread on these baby’s.. Merge if needed.

I find when doing trim that a nail set is a must have. I wish it weren’t but it is.. I’ve been using the spring loaded ones and they work good for me. As long a you don’t pull them into tomorrow and break the spring. I use the Spring Tools nail sets that made in the USofA
    http://springtools.shptron.com/
    Now I see these from Hart a TTI chinese company and I’ve sure these are made in china too. I see the clown selling them never says how well they work. Pure sales pitch.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/TPUx0WP2yUY?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

First time I have seen these. Gotta get some for sure! Thanks DWB

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I have both types… But unfortunately All of my Spring tools nail punches are broken! After a short period of light use they all started to crack at the tips. Apparently they have a lifetime warranty…. But the manufacturer is impossible to contact. They don’t return calls or emails, so the warranty is kind of bogus.

Never used the spring loaded nail setters, just the traditional style,
    At work in sheet metal for center punching a starting point hole, we used the spring loaded styles, bought the Starrett products, they last long time, and the tips can even be changed.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Never used the spring loaded ones either.

Having nail guns really has made it so I don’t need a nail set as much. Just occasionally. So I stick will the old fashioned type nail set.

I could see where a spring loaded set would come in handy if you were a painter. Having just the nail set in your pocket when prepping instead of lugging a hammer around also.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I’ll go ahead and vouch for the Spring Tools sets.
    They’re great…been using them for the last 3+ years now. Broke one in that time, and someone lost another one (that was promptly replaced by them).
    I still have my traditional nail sets, but the spring set is with me at all times (thanks to the amount of storage in a pair of Blakladers).
    All I’m missing to round out the useful collection is the hinge pin popper.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have the Spring Toosls set, they work well. My wife likes them also for when she is filling nailholes on trim. It is much easier for her to use than a standard ail set. This is my favorite nail set however. It is a lot easier to hold and mire ergonomic than a standard nailset.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I don’t like having a hammer on me when trimming so it would be nice to have on me and not need a hammer to set a few nail.

That’s what I like is the no hammer to carry around.

I don’t like having a hammer on me when trimming so it would be nice to have on me and not need a hammer to set a few nail.

That’s what I like is the no hammer to carry around.

Well this could solve my no tool buying lull I have been in. It will be small but will have to do..lol!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.514 seconds