dcsimg

Nail guns – compressors vs

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

What kind of siding are you talking about? Most fiber cement siding can be installed with a framing gun.

Hardy used to recommend fastening with a coil roofing nailer, but has changed to recommending the coil nailers such as the Hitachi coli siding nailer. I have never seen a recommendation for a framing gun.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Are you buying these all at once or waiting buy them as you need them? As you mentioned you wanted to spend up to $800.
    As you mention you returned your Dad’s framing nailer & air compressor. I would replace them right way. If you use those 2 tools the most you. You want buy a pretty good quality tools. This way they would last much longer. Then buy the other nailers mention as you need or when you see a deal on them.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Are you buying these all at once or waiting buy them as you need them? As you mentioned you wanted to spend up to $800.
    As you mention you returned your Dad’s framing nailer & air compressor. I would replace them right way. If you use those 2 tools the most you. You want buy a pretty good quality tools. This way they would last much longer. Then buy the other nailers mention as you need or when you see a deal on them.

I will probably wait to buy as needed – I don’t do very much framing or siding at the moment, so it’s not urgent, but I want to be prepared so that when the time comes I don’t have to just buy whatever is local.

And my dad is actually letting me keep the framing nailer, so that’s one less thing to worry about right away. It’s a pretty clunky beast but it works and I can make do with it so really all I need is the compressor and then possibly a siding nailer if I come to another project that requires it. I’d like to replace the framing nailer eventually, but that’s more of a wish than a need now.

Charlie

Instagram

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I used screws to fasten my fiber cement Hardie planks on my shed build. I just didn’t want to deal with any cracked boards and simply like screws better although they take much longer to fasten. But from all I’ve read, most use a gun and nails to fasten it.

Yea, that might work on a personal shed project, but it’d never fly on a job.

You’d burn all your profit doing something like that. 😆

Last time I did fiber-cement, we were using coil roofers.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie

I used screws to fasten my fiber cement Hardie planks on my shed build. I just didn’t want to deal with any cracked boards and simply like screws better although they take much longer to fasten. But from all I’ve read, most use a gun and nails to fasten it.

You’d burn all your profit doing something like that.

That’s what I figured. Just too labour intensive. I even have a coild roofer too, but preferred to screw regardless.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

In case any of you were wondering, I did end up getting a compressor. The price was right and the reviews decent so I picked up a Porter Cable pancake compressor. I was impressed by how light it was in store and I’ve seen this same model around for years and the reviews sounded like it will do everything I need it to. I was hoping to get something a little less loud, but that’s not a huge issue really. And now that I’ve had it for a couple projects I’m actually pretty impressed with it. It fills pretty quickly, can keep up with framing really easily, isn’t as loud as I was worried it would be, and on the whole seems to be a pretty solid tool.

Charlie

Instagram

In case any of you were wondering, I did end up getting a compressor. The price was right and the reviews decent so I picked up a Porter Cable pancake compressor. I was impressed by how light it was in store and I’ve seen this same model around for years and the reviews sounded like it will do everything I need it to. I was hoping to get something a little less loud, but that’s not a huge issue really. And now that I’ve had it for a couple projects I’m actually pretty impressed with it. It fills pretty quickly, can keep up with framing really easily, isn’t as loud as I was worried it would be, and on the whole seems to be a pretty solid tool.

Congrats Charlie , looks like a diaphragm compressor ? Hard to tell I’m on my phone.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Congrats Charlies! Nice you see you got a compressor.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

I’m a little late to the topic but I would highly recommend Paslode cordless nailers . No issues with full day use at all . Been using them my whole trade life and air tools .

But now you have the compressor so congrats . I would just watch the Home Depot , lowes adds for deals on nailers you want to go along with your air tank .

Always willing to learn .

CB
    Pro

What kind of siding are you talking about? Most fiber cement siding can be installed with a framing gun.

Really? I have never tried that – do you just dial down the pressure and use shorter nails?

Hardy used to recommend fastening with a coil roofing nailer, but has changed to recommending the coil nailers such as the Hitachi coli siding nailer. I have never seen a recommendation for a framing gun.

I have the Hitachi Coil Roofer with the James Hardie “Pit Crew” Power Set Head enhancement… which essentially amounts to nail gun body riser castings that increase the volume of air in cue to drive the piston.

My nailer didn’t come set up this way… I ordered the Hitachi Power Set parts, and when they arrived I disassembled my nailer, installed the parts, and reassembled it to where it now matches the nailers that Hardie distributors used to make available exclusively to loyal and high volume installers of Hardie products.

The normal Hitachi coil roofing gun typically costs $270. The Power Head version of the same gun was $605, and not widely available. One can still special order it. Cheapest price I found online was about $550. I don’t know why the price difference is so great, especially after taking the gun apart and rebuilding it with the power set parts, which are priced at just under $200. $270 for the normal gun plus $200 for the power head parts is still only $470, not $600. Strange.

I found one parts kit online where there was only that one left. It had to have been either misdescribed (it was called a power “cord”, not a power “head”) or mispriced, as it was only $22, not $200. I figured, what’s the worse that can happen? Be out of pocket $22? So I ordered it.

What arrived was an older looking package with Hitachi’s name and Japanese writing on it, and inside that box was everything needed and then some to convert a regular Hitachi coil roofing gun into the super duty James Hardie Power Set “pit crew” version to make a more powerful head assembly. New castings, new longer bolts, new seals and orings… everything but instructions. And there are NO instructions, anywhere. Not even authorized Hitachi servicing dealers had them.

But I’ve rebuilt enough stuff like this to figure it out, so considering that I bought the brand new coil gun for $70 off simply due to it having the original Hitachi name, plus the $180 savings on the Power Head kit, plus the $130 savings for installing the kit myself instead of ordering the gun built that way for $600, that’s $380 saved on what could arguably the most powerful roofing nail gun ever made… that can pierce Hardi fiber cement, in situations were the wider head (up to .375″) of a roofing nail is desired for better surface area capture around the penetration point, when nailing into a plywood or OSB substrate off stud.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

A little late to this discussion but I’ll throw in my two cents anyways.

In my trailer I have 2 compressors, air coil nailers (Bostitch 2″-3-1/4), an air stick nailer, and 2 paslode cordless framing nailers.

My air tools hardly ever come out. I do feel they have a time and a Place, and will never get rid of them however we just do t pull them out often.

My paslodes however have Built 3 houses, a few sheds, decks, and Currently are being used to frame a 6000sqft 4plex, all without running a single air hose.

The nail packages that come with fuel cells are a great value in my opinion. I might spend $30 more in nails over the course of a framing job, but to not run air hoses it’s still a win to me.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here most of the bigger track work is all steel studs. The trim is nailed on with the ET&F T-Nailer and the lap boards are screwed on with the super drive on the battery screw gun.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here most of the bigger track work is all steel studs. The trim is nailed on with the ET&F T-Nailer and the lap boards are screwed on with the super drive on the battery screw gun.

I like the second picture.
    The movement, the colors, the scene, everything.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.377 seconds