dcsimg

Nail guns – compressors vs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Hey everyone, I’ve been using a HF framing nailer for the past few months here and there along with a Husky brand compressor (both borrowed from my dad as I get up and running on my new business).

Neither of them are great quality but both have worked adequately for the shed and closet I built but now it’s time to return them and I’m wondering – what do you all think of Paslode? I’m looking at the cost of getting a decent compressor that can run a framing nailer along with a decent framing nailer, and possibly a siding nailer too eventually and each piece runs about $300- $400 as far as I can tell. So I’m looking at $800 just to get started and I’m wondering if it’s worth it…

On the other hand, a Paslode framing nailer costs around $350 and I don’t have to worry about a compressor, I can factor the fuel into my project costs so that’s not an issue, and it’s lighter and quicker to set up.

It doesn’t get me a siding nailer though, or is there a Paslode (or comparable cordless brand) siding nailer I don’t know about? If not, I may have to go compressor route on the framing nailer anyway. In which case, what are your recommendations for a good compressor? I’m looking for low profile, light weight, but durable and long lasting for under $400….which might be impossible, lol.

TIA!

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Hey everyone, I’ve been using a HF framing nailer for the past few months here and there along with a Husky brand compressor (both borrowed from my dad as I get up and running on my new business).

Neither of them are great quality but both have worked adequately for the shed and closet I built but now it’s time to return them and I’m wondering – what do you all think of Paslode? I’m looking at the cost of getting a decent compressor that can run a framing nailer along with a decent framing nailer, and possibly a siding nailer too eventually and each piece runs about $300- $400 as far as I can tell. So I’m looking at $800 just to get started and I’m wondering if it’s worth it…

On the other hand, a Paslode framing nailer costs around $350 and I don’t have to worry about a compressor, I can factor the fuel into my project costs so that’s not an issue, and it’s lighter and quicker to set up.

It doesn’t get me a siding nailer though, or is there a Paslode (or comparable cordless brand) siding nailer I don’t know about? If not, I may have to go compressor route on the framing nailer anyway. In which case, what are your recommendations for a good compressor? I’m looking for low profile, light weight, but durable and long lasting for under $400….which might be impossible, lol.

TIA!

Unless you are just doing small projects, I would pass on the Paslode gas operated framing gun. It is very slow and would be frustrating to nail off sheeting on a project with one. I have seen it done but would never do it. We have had lots of discussions about compressors here, I can say I have had good luck with the Makita and Rolair.

As for a framing gun, the Paslode Power Master air gun is a good gun, durable but a little on the heavy side. We used to run a lot of Paslode guns as they would give them away free with a pallet of nails. They kept raising the number of boxes that they considered a pallet to the point that we quit using that promo. Most of what we use now are the Hitachi or now Metabo HPt guns. They are lighter than the Paslode which is nice when you are using them all day.

Check out the Lowes Website or your local Lowes store, they are running a clearance on all the Hitachi branded stuff to replace it with the new Metabo HPT branded items. Same tools, new name.

The Hitachi coil siding nailer is one of the best also if you are thinking of going that way. they are on clearance also.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

TIA!

Unless you are just doing small projects, I would pass on the Paslode gas operated framing gun. It is very slow and would be frustrating to nail off sheeting on a project with one. I have seen it done but would never do it. We have had lots of discussions about compressors here, I can say I have had good luck with the Makita and Rolair.

As for a framing gun, the Paslode Power Master air gun is a good gun, durable but a little on the heavy side. We used to run a lot of Paslode guns as they would give them away free with a pallet of nails. They kept raising the number of boxes that they considered a pallet to the point that we quit using that promo. Most of what we use now are the Hitachi or now Metabo HPt guns. They are lighter than the Paslode which is nice when you are using them all day.

Check out the Lowes Website or your local Lowes store, they are running a clearance on all the Hitachi branded stuff to replace it with the new Metabo HPT branded items. Same tools, new name.

The Hitachi coil siding nailer is one of the best also if you are thinking of going that way. they are on clearance also.

Thanks Kurt, I’ll have to take a look at that.

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

I like Kurts direction on this. I have a Rolair JC10 that’s maybe 10 years old and can’t say anything bad about it. It had a known issue early on with the air release valve and Rolair gladly provided one. Their customer service is well regarded by all I’ve ever read by others. They are USA based and their motors are high quality and nice and quiet. Makita would be another good choice from all I’ve read also and they now make some quiet models too.

Yes, Lowes is clearing out the old Hitachi guns since mid last year. I’ve been tempted to replace some of mine, but despite the deals, I just don’t need to. Been tempted to get a stick framer as I don’t have one of those, but my old Bostitch coil gun has been a champ anyways for my limited sporaidic needs over the years of a framing gun.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

You can get a Makita MAC700 for $200, and a Hitachi NR90AE for just under $200, and throw in a couple hoses, and you’ll be set for less than $500.

You’ll have a pro-grade setup, with ability to add more guns, siding, trim, roofing, whatever. Although the Makita compressor will be a little slow for production roofing.

I have the Hitachi NR90AE that I use along side a Max SuperFramer, and it’s a fine gun.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie

I’ve been tempted to replace some of mine, but despite the deals, I just don’t need to. Been tempted to get a stick framer as I don’t have one of those, but my old Bostitch coil gun has been a champ anyways for my limited sporaidic needs over the years of a framing gun.

I have the Hitachi NR90AE that I use

Think I stumbled on a good deal here in Canada for what might be an earlier generation of that same gun for $229.

https://www.ihlcanada.com/hitachi-nr90ads1-2-in-to-3-1-2-in-paper-collated-26822

This weighs substantially less than my old Bostitch coil nailer. Thinking about it. What do you guys think?

Aside from weight, I know one thing that it seems to suffer from versus my old Bostitch is toe nailing. The old Bostitch just has a blunt nose which makes that task a little more difficult versus a nose with some teeth which this Hitachi seems to have.

I have a credit on account with these guys of like $80 or something and I rarely buy from them, so this might be something good to use that credit up with.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

It looks exactly like my NR90AE.

It’s a great gun. Lightweight, toenails really well, and has a selector switch to go from bump-fire to sequential.

I got mine for about $170, though.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Just googled it.

Looks like it’s been discontinued already. :blink:

Have no idea what happened.

Maybe Hitachi is no longer making nail guns I don’t know.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Just googled it.

Hitachi is now Metabo HPT so they would be under that name and may have new model numbers under their new name.

It is now the NR90ADS1M in the 30 – 34 degree paper collated gun. They are $199.99 at Menards.com and they will ship anywhere in the us. This is the New Metabo HPT gun which is the old Hitachi gun with a new name.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Just googled it.

Hitachi is now Metabo HPT so they would be under that name and may have new model numbers under their new name.

It is now the NR90ADS1M in the 30 – 34 degree paper collated gun. They are $199.99 at Menards.com and they will ship anywhere in the us. This is the New Metabo HPT gun which is the old Hitachi gun with a new name.

Thank you. Didn’t know that.

Metabo bought out Hitachi?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

TIA!

What about a cordless one? A framer that is.
    It’s expensive but no more compressors and hoses and extensions and oil and…..
    I have a Campbell ( I think that’s the name), in the same range with your HF.
    As long as it’s oiled it doesn’t miss a nail.
    If I had to use more frequently I’d buy a Dewalt framing nailer. Cordless and brushless and expensive.
    But for now I’m good with what I have.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Just googled it.

Thank you. Didn’t know that.

Metabo bought out Hitachi?

yes and they are trying to lend credibility to the Hitachi tools by relabeling them and trying to leverage the Metabo name as Metabo is strong in the rotary hammer and grinding category.

I think it was actually Hitachi that bought Metabo then both were sold to someone else.

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hitachi-metabo-hpt/

and another one
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hitachi-power-tools-announces-name-change/
    and more
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hitachi-tools/

and the sale of Hitachi to KKR
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/hitachi-sold-to-lbo-firm-kkr/

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Thanks.

I see I should frequent this forum more often.

CB
    Pro

Makita often gives away free pneumatic nail guns if you buy a Makita compressor. Right now, a purchase of their 5.5 hp big bore includes a free roofing nailer, good till August 31, 2019. Previously, Makita was giving away their framing nailer with the compressor purchase.

A pneumatic nail gun will repeatedly rapid fire faster than any other type of “cordless” nail gun propulsion.

A cylinder drive pneumatic nail gun, like the Hitachi NR83A (versions 1 through 5, where 5 is the latest), or like Makita’s newest AN924, will rapid fire faster, and more reliably, than most other types of pneumatic nailers that operate at pressures below 120 psi.

There are a few nail guns that operate at higher pressures, (above 300 PSI) but they are not common, due to the higher price of the nail gun, the highe pressure air compressor, and the high pressure rated lines to connect them together.

Battery nail guns often rely on spring to drive the nail, and the battery operates a motor to recompress the spring. That is how rotary motion is converted into powerful percussive motion. Or how stored electrical energy is converted into stored mechancial energy. The point being, it takes TIME between firings to make that energy conversion.

Gas cartridge nail guns drain the wallet on gas cartridges. The electricity cost to compress air or charge batteries is cheaper, especially when running the equipment on the property owner’s meter. Even gasoline for one’s own generator to supply the electricity can be cheaper than what some vendors charge for cartridges.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’m not framing or sheeting big projects, so my needs aren’t about production mode so much as reliability and portability. I have a pretty limited amount of cargo space so a hulking compressor just won’t work for me. I’m thinking about 2 gallons is my max for compressor size.

Thanks for all the good info everyone, I’ll definitely be looking into Makita and maybe the new Metabo HP – does anyone know if they’re basically the same as Hitachi? Or have they changed them significantly with the brand change?

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

…and maybe the new Metabo HP – does anyone know if they’re basically the same as Hitachi? Or have they changed them significantly with the brand change?

I think it doesn’t amount to much more than re-badging by the looks of it.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

What kind of siding are you talking about? Most fiber cement siding can be installed with a framing gun.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

What kind of siding are you talking about? Most fiber cement siding can be installed with a framing gun.

Really? I have never tried that – do you just dial down the pressure and use shorter nails?

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

Really? I have never tried that – do you just dial down the pressure and use shorter nails?

I used screws to fasten my fiber cement Hardie planks on my shed build. I just didn’t want to deal with any cracked boards and simply like screws better although they take much longer to fasten. But from all I’ve read, most use a gun and nails to fasten it.

I’ve used the Hitachi nailers coil and stick , they are very nice light and work horses
    It’s as Kurt mentioned , I like the fact that the Paslode is cordless
    But like Kurt mentioned but it’s definitely not as fast for framing or sheathing
    If I had to choose again I’d go with the Makita compressor and Hitachi nailers

That being said
    I am very happy with my King Canada twin stack compressor and heavier framing gun
    They have been actually pretty reliable , the only thing I had to do is pin my fan on the shaft because of the spline on the fan was plastic and stripped , ten minutes and it’s working perfectly for a refurbished compressor at 80 bucks.

But like Sorin mentioned , there is always the cordless option , no more hoses and compressor to deal with
    That’s a great idea
    Especially if you are not going to be framing an entire house.
    Different types of tools for different reasons.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.525 seconds