dcsimg

Nail gun Vs work boot in slow motion

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

check out this video of nail guns vs various objects in slow motion.

http://video.us.msn.com/watch/video/the-dangers-of-a-high-powered-nail-gun-in-slow-motion/ph01p9l

redwood
    Pro

I found it interesting that the angle the nail leaves the gun is not inline with the gun pin.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow Cool, I like watching that kind of stuff. I see steel toes can pay off, It’s so weird how that nail flexes like that. Thanks for the link

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

That’s quite an educational video. I hope that the people who need to see it will.

Pat

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

That is pretty cool, but I do wish they had noted somehow that they disabled the safety features of the gun, this is the kind of video my family members would see and then get anxious about when they see someone using a nail gun. For all of the disabling of safety features I’ve seen, I haven’t seen someone in real world use disable the safety on a framing nailer.

For all of the disabling of safety features I’ve seen, I haven’t seen someone in real world use disable the safety on a framing nailer.

I’m sure it has been done with good and scary results, but I’d bet it has been done… I wonder if there are any legal ramifications if something goes wrong when that is disabled?

Anyways, definitely a cool video – thanks for posting it!

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen springs come off of safeties allowing a gun to fire with just a trigger pull and also seen t he safety pulled back to allow trigger firing.

It is necessary to over ride the safety for artwork

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNgd4PU7ZY

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I haven’t seen someone in real world use disable the safety on a framing nailer.

The safety spring on a framing gun only slows me down and makes for difficult toenailing! Here’s a pic one with the safety spring and one without.
    On these older guns all you have to do is pull that spring out and work the safety with your index finger and pull the trigger with your middle finger. I use this all the time to tack things that may need to come apart.

Attachments:
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

makes for difficult toenailing!

Nice pun.

Its wild how those steel toes make the nail look like a wet noodle. The only problem is that darn steel toe is so small that there is a lot more flesh to hit. I wonder if a composite toe can fend off the nail as good as aluminum.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Well you guys proved me wrong, people will disable the safety on a framing nailer in real life. Although the mona lisa thing is hilarious even though it’s a fakeout 🙂 No way I would have been hanging around there if a guy started nail painting on the job site.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have seen carpenters pull back the safety and shoot at sparrows on sites. Odds of hitting one I would say are one in a million. Never seen one hit.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I always take off the safety spring on my framing guns too.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have seen carpenters pull back the safety and shoot at sparrows on sites. Odds of hitting one I would say are one in a million. Never seen one hit.

I’ve killed a myna bird from 30 yards from a roof top. I just wanted to break up the fight but he went down and all the other birds jumpped back took a look and flew away. I do have a witness!

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

So you were establishing a little bird justice?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The only problem is that darn steel toe is so small that there is a lot more flesh to hit

Most everytime I see a foot shot is when the person is nailing the roof or subfloor off. At this angle they always hit the side of their shoe. There is no steel toe on the roof. A lot of the time they just shoot the shoe to the ply and need a nail puller. some times they hit the meat of the foot and then they need a paper towel and duct tape.

Thatkid
    Pro

That scared me a little bit as I have been putting probably a 1000 nails a day through my gun lately. It seems like sometimes we forget the power that something has when we use it every day but everyone I know that has shot them selfs with a framing nailer said they just pulled the nail out taped it up and got back to work. Worst one I heard about was with a bostrict gun with the metal wire that holds the strip of nails together. I heard that if you shoot yourself with one of those the wire will act like barbs and you have to clip off the head of the nail and pull it through.

Does removing the spring from the gun really make it work faster because on mine you can just pull it out. Had one guy tell me that for nailing sheathing it is a lot faster but don’t do it because it’s not as safe. I may give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Does removing the spring from the gun really make it work faster because on mine you can just pull it out. Had one guy tell me that for nailing sheathing it is a lot faster but don’t do it because it’s not as safe. I may give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes

Sounds like you’ve got the old Hitachi gun? Yes it’s the only way to go! I never use the spring it just gets in the way. It’s heck for toenailing. It’s as simple as this, hold the trigger down and jam it on your self and get shot! If it were a hand gun,, point it at your self and pull the trigger and whats gonna happen?? Kinda simple right?

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

The title of this thread made me a little nervous 🙂

Every instance of someone getting hit wih a nail gun that I’ve heard about has the same root problem: carelessness. Either rushing to get a job done or not wanting to set up more staging ect. Not saying this is the case every single time, just all the ones I’ve ever heard of.

I know it was because of rushing that I shot myself 😉

Roofing nailer to the upper thigh. Very minor.

Thatkid
    Pro

Sounds like you’ve got the old Hitachi gun? Yes it’s the only way to go! I never use the spring it just gets in the way. It’s heck for toenailing. It’s as simple as this, hold the trigger down and jam it on your self and get shot! If it were a hand gun,, point it at your self and pull the trigger and whats gonna happen?? Kinda simple right?

thanks I used it with out the spring to nail off a roof today and it worked a lot better than having the spring in.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

thanks I used it with out the spring to nail off a roof today and it worked a lot better than having the spring in.

Yup! Just remember hold the trigger down and bump yourself with the gun and you’ll have a nail in you! The first thing I do when I shoot myself is look around and see if anyone saw it happen? Then I pull it out. They say to not pull it out because the dam thing could be in a major artery and then the blood could spurt out like a water hose. That is messy!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.668 seconds