dcsimg

NAIL GUN SAFETY

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Don’t framing guns come with a safety spring in them?

They do but some can be set to be bump fired. Easy to have your finger on the trigger and accidentally hit the tip off someplace it’s not supposed to be.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

They do but some can be set to be bump fired. Easy to have your finger on the trigger and accidentally hit the tip off someplace it’s not supposed to be.

I guy I know did this, had his finger on the trigger while climbing up a ladder. Accidentally shot the heal of someone else at the top.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

A friend of mine did this a couple of weeks ago. He posted this on Facebook.

glad that he didn’t damage nerves or anything else in there. clean shot

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No he actually drove to the hospital where he said they pulled it with a vise grip. I guess without a lot of blood, the nail pretty much sealed itself in the hole. I probably would have just pulled it and went for the paper towel. possibly a couple of butterfly bandages and then some ice.

I think it was in his hand for probably close to an hour. I could not be that patient to get it out.

I have done stuff like that and pull it right out. It’s not that bad that day but the next day it hurst like heck and is all stiff.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that should teach them to keep their finger off the trigger! Kinda like a real guy don’t put your finger on the trigger till you want to shoot something.

Dirty

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

No he actually drove to the hospital where he said they pulled it with a vise grip. I guess without a lot of blood, the nail pretty much sealed itself in the hole. I probably would have just pulled it and went for the paper towel. possibly a couple of butterfly bandages and then some ice.

I think it was in his hand for probably close to an hour. I could not be that patient to get it out.

i am surprised they didn’t cut the tip of it off, looks like there is a ridge on it and would cause more damage coming out . wow.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

i am surprised they didn’t cut the tip of it off, looks like there is a ridge on it and would cause more damage coming out . wow.

NO you yank it out and go back to work, no time for crying!! Those guys are the first to go!

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@r-ice stop quoting me for points !….Stay away from me!

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I always yanked it right out and went for the duct tape and paper towel.

It’s not that bad that day but the next day it hurst like heck and is all stiff.

I’m the duct tape and paper towel kind of guy too. You’re right though, not too bad the first day but the next day it smarts for sure.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I had one nail gun injury and it required a trip to the ER but I have pulled a finish nail out before too.

For 99% of my injuries I grab the paper towels and tape as well. If I get really crazy I might squirt some Neosporin in it later that night…lol!

The biggest nail gun safety item to remember is to keep your finger off the trigger when not firing a nail. This prevents the accidental bump fire.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very good advice right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Duct tape.. the universal bandage. If I go to the hospital it better be something bad.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have pulled 2 nails out of my hand – one 18 gauge brad and an 8d ring shank. Both time I cleaned the wound up with the first aid kit, wrapped it with a chunk of paper towel/tp and some electrical tape and back to work. Dirty is right, they didn’t hurt much that day but the next day it hurt like the blazes and I could barely move my finger.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have pulled 2 nails out of my hand – one 18 gauge brad and an 8d ring shank. Both time I cleaned the wound up with the first aid kit, wrapped it with a chunk of paper towel/tp and some electrical tape and back to work. Dirty is right, they didn’t hurt much that day but the next day it hurt like the blazes and I could barely move my finger.

I put an 18 ga through a finger and out the nail. It had gone astray through the side of a joint I was holding.

You’re right, it doesn’t start to really hurt til the day after. Sure taught me to keep my hands well away from the work. It may take a little longer to clamp or secure some other way but worth the extra effort.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve had two hits with my old 18ga, both were when the nail deflected and came out of the wood somewhere I didn’t anticipate…so my fault. The one that hurt the most was actually my 23ga nailer. It went nearly all the way in…so far that I had to pull it through my finger on the opposite side of entry…and I’m really thankful that it was a headless nail. FWIW, I’m a paper towel and tape guy too. If not that then I use superglue.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Closest I’ve ever come is a 2″ 16GA curling back through a piece of baseboard and just nicking one of my fingers.

When my garage was being built the framer put a nail through his hand and continued on for the rest of the day. No framing the next day.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Once the swelling sets in and you let it relax overnight, then the pain and stiffness get you. When you first do it your adrenaline carries you for quite a while.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Closest I’ve ever come is a 2″ 16GA curling back through a piece of baseboard and just nicking one of my fingers.

When my garage was being built the framer put a nail through his hand and continued on for the rest of the day. No framing the next day.

Framing for 30 years, and so far just a sheathing staple to show for it. I have been the one on the pulling end a couple of times though.

Two incidents, first one I was making a headboard, while squeezing two pieces of pine together, was near the end of the day, put a 2 inch 18 gauge through one finger and into another, yanked my hand back, good thing it didn’t hit the bone lol.

Second time, again with the 18 gauge, trimming around face high, the Fricken nail went into the wood, hit a knot or something, kinda looked like a horse shoe shot right out and hit me about 1/2 inch below my eye, since then, I wear my safety glasses.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I never even think of using the bump trigger on my guns .I have nailed my fingers 3 times at least without it .I don’t need any extra help 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.424 seconds