dcsimg

My Bosch Axial Glide mods!

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 478 total)
  • Author

I had to special order my kapex dust chute too for the glide.
    Cost me around 6 USD with tax. not too bad at all.

Way to go Alex, for 6 bucks, who cares.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I had to special order my kapex dust chute too for the glide.
    Cost me around 6 USD with tax. not too bad at all.

Way to go Alex, for 6 bucks, who cares.

That was a cheap fix.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Hooked up the DC to my Glide today. The stepped adapter from Lee Valley (same as the ShopVac but much cheaper) is friction fit both ends. The 1 1/2″ end fits the elbow and 2 1/2″ hose fits the other very nicely.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=62620&cat=1,42401,62620

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Hooked up the DC to my Glide today. The stepped adapter from Lee Valley (same as the ShopVac but much cheaper) is friction fit both ends. The 1 1/2″ end fits the elbow and 2 1/2″ hose fits the other very nicely.

How is the dust collection now?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It’s too bad that nobody has the DC that the Kapex has.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

How is the dust collection now?

Just used it to cut some 8/4 maple to length and, sadly, it’s still not worth a shit! Enough suction at the chute to pick up tennis balls but cuttings from the blade spray everywhere.

I added the inner tube mod last week, thought that would help a bit.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Dust collector or Vacuum?

This saw needs high suction. The Festool and Bosch vacs aren’t enough IMO. A dust collector isn’t even worth hooking up to such a small port.

I’ve had this saw for over a year (might be closer to 2?? ) and I have it hooked up to my rigid “screamer” with the festool apron and I am more then pleased with the results cutting everything from 12″ plywood to 8/4 hardwoods.

Could it be better, sure, they all could, including the Kapex.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

I find the piece for 8 bucks plus 8 shipping from festool. I guess I’ll wait for something I’m gonna buy from festool so can get it shipped for free

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Dust collector or Vacuum?

This saw needs high suction. The Festool and Bosch vacs aren’t enough IMO. A dust collector isn’t even worth hooking up to such a small port.

I’ve had this saw for over a year (might be closer to 2?? ) and I have it hooked up to my rigid “screamer” with the festool apron and I am more then pleased with the results cutting everything from 12″ plywood to 8/4 hardwoods.

Could it be better, sure, they all could, including the Kapex.

The 1 1/2 HP DC is enough to suck the sides of the inner tube shroud closed until I trimmed them back a bit. I don’t know how much more suction I could add to it. I’ll do some more playing around but so far it’s not doing too good a job.

I wonder if just putting something like this

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_1088209112?hei=245&wid=245&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

behind the blade travel would work. Just prop it up in back out of the way. That particular one may not fit, just put it there as a reference.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Kamster
    Pro

If you have access to the Ridgid pro-grade hose (orange) that was part of the car cleaning kit then you can direct fit that hose to the axial glide if you take off the 90 degree connector.

The OD of the Ridgid hose is 1 and 3/16 inches but its marketed as 1 and 1/4 inch (EDIT: fixed size). The hose is snug fit inside the dust chute.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I wonder if just putting something like this

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_1088209112?hei=245&wid=245&op_sharpen=1&qlt=85

behind the blade travel would work. Just prop it up in back out of the way. That particular one may not fit, just put it there as a reference.

I know what you mean, Jim, I was thinking of some sort of shroud behind the saw to catch the spray of sawdust.

I may also try the Kapex shroud, too, can’t hurt.

My setup is close to 100% collection

I run the bosch 35mm hose (Vac005) to a dust deputy, which then run to my 6.5hp (marketing hp) Ridgid vac

Collection is the Festool dust chute on the 12 inch axial glide

Here it is cutting 2″ Cedar. Gets everything. I could barely even smell the cedar

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I have nearly the same set up.

Clear Vue CV06 Cyclone + 6.5 peak hp Ridgid Shop Vac (probably the same you have) + Kapex chute.
    I used in the past few month a 44T Freud blade and the dust doesn’t fly straight up into the chute like in your case/video. Mine flies straight towards the back, below the chute.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Clear Vue CV06 Cyclone + 6.5 peak hp Ridgid Shop Vac (probably the same you have) + Kapex chute.
    I used in the past few month a 44T Freud blade and the dust doesn’t fly straight up into the chute like in your case/video. Mine flies straight towards the back, below the chute.

Maybe thats the difference.

I use a 96 Tooth blade (Freud LU85R012 12-Inch 96 Tooth ATB Crosscutting Saw Blade with 1-Inch Arbor and PermaShield Coating)

Maybe mine, having more teeth, turns it to fine dust instead of big chips. Might affect the dust collection

The number of teeth on the blade may make a difference that I have not accounted for.

Will

The number of teeth on the blade may make a difference that I have not accounted for.

What kind of blade are you using?

I tried an old (but sharp) blade for fun last night – Not sure of the tooth count (long since rubbed off and I didnt count) but it looked almost like a rough cut or ripping blade, so probably around 40 teeth on a 12 inch.

Sure enough, it made much bigger dust, almost chips. And it all got tossed below the dust chute, with very little going into the vac.

As far as I am concerned, Im always crosscutting with my miter saw, and if I care about dust, I also want a very clean cut. May as well always run a high tooth count blade.

The crap blade can be for 2x4s cut outside. No sense gunking up a good blade

I had the original (60 tooth?) Bosch blade on for some cedar 4x4s and it was not doing well, I often use an 80 Tooth blade for hardwoods, but I may be convinced to look for a really high tooth count blade if it will improve dust collection in addition to smoothness of cut, even if it is pricier.

Will

I had the original (60 tooth?) Bosch blade on for some cedar 4x4s and it was not doing well, I often use an 80 Tooth blade for hardwoods, but I may be convinced to look for a really high tooth count blade if it will improve dust collection in addition to smoothness of cut, even if it is pricier.

Hows dust capture with the 80? Wonder where the cutoff is before we lose dust collection. Dont want to be stuck with just expensive 96 tooth

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

What kind of blade are you using?

I tried an old (but sharp) blade for fun last night – Not sure of the tooth count (long since rubbed off and I didnt count) but it looked almost like a rough cut or ripping blade, so probably around 40 teeth on a 12 inch.

Sure enough, it made much bigger dust, almost chips. And it all got tossed below the dust chute, with very little going into the vac.

As far as I am concerned, Im always crosscutting with my miter saw, and if I care about dust, I also want a very clean cut. May as well always run a high tooth count blade.

The crap blade can be for 2x4s cut outside. No sense gunking up a good blade

Based on experience here, I am planning to shop for a higher tooth count blade. I am using the supplied 60 tooth blade and, while it cuts cleanly, it sprays chips, too.

I’m using a DC stepped down to a 2 1/2″ hose rather than a shop vac, but I think I’m getting about as much suction as I can manage.

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 478 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.873 seconds