dcsimg

My Bosch Axial Glide mods!

This topic contains 477 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  Hangman 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 478 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

First up, Kapex apron (dust boot) Part #471316 cost me $7. It is just a HAIR to big but it going to work REALLY well. It clips on the bosch tabs.

Here is a side by side. Festool on the left, Bosch on the right

Bosch is 3.5″ up

Festool is 2.5″ up, a full inch lower for those not paying attention.

This is one cut with the bosch. Sorry I the ruler’s in the way. But you can see a significant amount of dust. Stock blade on a 30* cut of 3/4″ oak about 4″ long.

Same cut with the Festool apron. Pretty impressive so far.

It’s Emma approved!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous

Cool, And if Emma likes it then it’s good enough for me.

You should bag up a little of that sawdust and send it to JohnS, He could sprinkle it around his basement for inspiration

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

bah. He started with all festool stuff. It prob doesn’t make any dust. Next up are some supports with a built in T track. I think. It might be slow going as harvest is just around the corner.

Prob get to the zero clearance insert first.

Brad T

redwood
    Pro

That dust boot may be the cheapest item you can buy from festool.

It’s a lot of those little things that makes the Kapex such a good saw.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That dust boot may be the cheapest item you can buy from festool.

It’s a lot of those little things that makes the Kapex such a good saw.

The guy told me that it’s probably cheaper to buy all the parts over the whole saw… kinda strange.

Brad T

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Awesome, That made a huge difference. Makes me wonder why the HECK they didn’t figure out that putting a bigger boot on the saw would have made it so much better, I’m glad you were able to hack it so easy! Looks like your dust extraction is pretty good too, my Kapex is a lot dirtier than that only because I have my old Shop Vac on it – I need to upgrade that some time soon.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

very cool. id say the big thing is as long as it doesnt interfere with the motion of hte saw or get fetched up in the blade your have the perfect fix for a poor dust collection design on the bosch.

i have the milwaukee, the dust chutes are very narrow but long behind the blade.. the dust bag on it is terrible and the rear dust slot cant have a vacuum hooked up to it.. however at least its aimed downwards so when cutting the dust doesnt launch up in the air.. you can sit a garbage bag under it

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

The guy told me that it’s probably cheaper to buy all the parts over the whole saw… kinda strange.

You’ve got to pay for for assembly when you buy the whole saw…

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

Very cool Brad! How nice that it clipped on to the factory location! You gotta love a simple, cheap improvement.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Great idea Brad! It works well. Love that little helper of yours. I bet she brightens your day every day.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Lon I would like to take credit but it was via BTP and Jason or Scott It’s a great little mod for sure.

Dust collection is via a 2″ shop vac hose with a reducer right at the saw.

Brad T

You will also like the zero clearance insert. I almost completely eliminates any tear out on the bottom of your cut.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Wow – that little $7 boot makes a huge difference. Definitely worth the investment! Did you have to physically modify the boot to make it fit on the saw?

I am now really curious if this boot will work on the 10” and 8 1/2” saws too… If so….

John S

Anonymous

I don’t think it’ll work on the 5312, But it looks like a vac could hook up to it. It comes with a little adapter of sorts for the bag but my vac won’t fit it…….yet

Hi Brad…so glad that this worked out for you! And, it is nice to see some before and after pics. I cannot take credit as it was someone on FOG that initially posted about it and so I just simply passed the info along to the BTP forum. You cannot go wrong with a $7 part. Very cool!

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Yup. It’s been great and is a must for this saw so far. I can’t wait for my new blade to show up and get the zero clearance insert installed.

Brad T

Yup. It’s been great and is a must for this saw so far. I can’t wait for my new blade to show up and get the zero clearance insert installed.

What blade did you end up going with?

Orange County, CA

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

FS Tool lm6400 ( I think that’s it). Industrial tooling company from canada. Came highly recommended from my saw shop. And internet reviews are pretty good.

Brad T

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great mod. I like modifying tools to work better.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Me too. It’s just odd that you need to mod a $600 tool tight out of the box

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 478 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 5.213 seconds