dcsimg

My accident

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I still see plenty of it here even with the new stiffer penalties.

It’s when I hear someone like a real estate agent say ‘it’s a risk I need to take and is the cost of doing business’. That kind of mentality just irks me.

South Florida has lots of tourists, unlicensed drivers, uninsured drivers, retirees who shouldn’t be driving at advanced ages. This makes us the highest auto insurance premiums in the USA, higher than New York City it Lid Angeles.

Not uncommon to see someone applying makeup or putting on mascara looking into the rear view mirror, steering with one hand, at 75mph on the highway, with a baby sitting in the back, all the while talking on the phone with speaker.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

One thing I have noticed is that it seems the new generation of drivers no longer use their turn signals.

I don’t know whether it is an act of selfishness, that using the turn signal is helping other cars nearby instead of the driver. Is that the thinking? Why do people signal less and less?

The other is cell phone use. You are on the left turn storage lane, light goes green, cars start turning, the car in front of you does not, he or she has the head down looking at the cell, and does not go until the light goes yellow or someone honks from behind. By then I am stuck behind the red light again.

The penalty for distracted driving (cell phone use) here in Ontario can be a $2,000 fine and a 7 day license suspension. Second offence goes to $3,000 and 30 days.

We don’t see a lot of drivers risking that anymore.

I still see plenty of it here even with the new stiffer penalties.

It’s when I hear someone like a real estate agent say ‘it’s a risk I need to take and is the cost of doing business’. That kind of mentality just irks me.

Does anyone really think that a licence suspension can be considered a “cost of doing business”? IMO it’s the thing to be avoided at all cost especially for someone like a real estate agent.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

CB
    Pro

I think they mean the fine is the cost of doing business…

Like Larry Ellison (former CEO and major shareholder of Oracle) used to pay a $350,000.00 fine every time he landed his private jet after curfew (which was quite frequently).

If the FAA said that he would lose his pilot’s license, and anyone else who pilot’s his jet would loose their pilot’s license… for violating a local airport’s curfew, then I think he would have re-evaluated how special he is over the sleep needs of everyone else in his flight path.

I suspect the real estate agents would have the same fear if they perceived the most likely consequence was immediate license forfeiture, rather than just a stiffer fine.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Would you believe I just got a bill for the 12 minute ambulance ride to the hospital? $1495.00 !!!!

Would you believe I just got a bill for the 12 minute ambulance ride to the hospital? $1495.00 !!!!

😲😲😲😯, I just fell down , wtf
    Yikes , hope you get some help with this matter.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That is just insane! Will that be covered by your claim against the woman who ran into you?

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I guess my health insurance will get stuck with it.
    I really only needed a ride… I didn’t want to buy the thing. They didn’t even blow the siren for me! lol
    When I send my insurance info I will include a note saying they should be ashamed of themselves !

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That’s huge.
    A trip at the hospital with an ambulance in Montreal is around $200 CAD.

Doobie

That is nuts! Here, the last time we had called one to our house when I thought my wife was having a stroke about a dozen years ago, ot was $45 which we got reimbursed by her group plan from her work anyways.

redwood
    Pro

Just reading this Ron, sorry about your mishap and hope for the best that everything else turns out in your favor.

The ambulance cost doesn’t shock me one bit. Outrageous, yes. Wait until you get the emergency room bill. God forbid anyone here requires to be airlifted by helicopter.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Was just looking, The ambulance charged more than the surgeon . Something just isn’t right.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

God forbid anyone here requires to be airlifted by helicopter.

Rerun was airlifted two years ago. The bill was over $42,000 for the ride. His wife arrived at the hospital less than 5 minutes after the chopper.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I also took an ambulance at the beginning of the year when I had a ruptured appendix and went to the ER. I went in at 6pm, they finally got around to do a cat scan on me at around midnight, and at 3am they told me I need to be operated on “immediately”. Only thing is, that hospital did not have a surgeon on duty at that hour, and they didn’t have someone coming in until 7. So in order for me to be operated sooner, they need to transfer me by ambulance to another hospital several blocks away. I said I could drive myself, OH NO SIR you can’t, we can’t discharge you and you must take the ambulance. So they ordered an ambulance, but since it’s not immediately life threatening, the ambulance didn’t come around till 5:30am, and I got to the other hospital at 6am, and had to go through transfer papers etc… and by the time I saw the doctors over there and schedule the surgery, it’s already 8am…I could have just wait in the original hospital. They charged me $750 for the ambulance. That CAT SCAN was more expensive. Thanks for Obamacare, my annual deductable was $9000, so that’s my out of pocket for that ordeal. I also end up staying at the hospital an extra day (very expensive) because of their mistakes. My ambulance didn’t have sirens on either, may be with sirens on it’s another $700.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Oh man that is crazy!

That is nuts! Here, the last time we had called one to our house when I thought my wife was having a stroke about a dozen years ago, ot was $45 which we got reimbursed by her group plan from her work anyways.

A few years ago one of daughters was taken from one hospital to another hospital. It was about 30 minute ride for $45. Another time my youngest daughter was rushed from one hospital to another hospital 1 hr away. That ride cost $85. The hospital parking bill for 5 days was alot more. I can’t remember how much it was.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

God forbid anyone here requires to be airlifted by helicopter.

Rerun was airlifted two years ago. The bill was over $42,000 for the ride. His wife arrived at the hospital less than 5 minutes after the chopper.

Jesus that’s crazy

@roninohio maybe the driver of the ambulance was moonlighting and his real job is a surgeon that’s why he charged so much 🤔😊☺️

Just kidding. It’s insane really.

Doobie

Sorry, gotta say it….what’s so bad about universal health care then? Every time I hear such stories I just can’t help but think it’s really all about effective lobbying propaganda by self interest helth care industry folks profitting at the expense of everybody else. And no, don’t read about silly stories about wait times here. That’s 99.9 % a load of bunk. I just never understood this.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Sorry, gotta say it….what’s so bad about universal health care then? Every time I hear such stories I just can’t help but think it’s really all about effective lobbying propaganda by self interest helth care industry folks profitting at the expense of everybody else. And no, don’t read about silly stories about wait times here. That’s 99.9 % a load of bunk. I just never understood this.

I sure wish we could go to your system !

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Going to seethe surgeon today for the follow up. I hope he puts a removable splint on instead of what I have now. It would be nice to take a shower without a trash bag over my arm.

Doobie

Going to seethe surgeon today for the follow up. I hope he puts a removable splint on instead of what I have now. It would be nice to take a shower without a trash bag over my arm.

When they recast me, I opted for a fiberglass cast partly for that reason. See if they’ll do that. That was something I had to pay out of pocket for to upgrade to, but it wasn’t a lot. Can’t recall, but something like 20 or 50 bucks at the most.

I also went and carved out holes in mine with my OMT so it could breath better and to deal with itches. Mine looked like a Swiss cheese cast once I was done with it.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I got lucky and got nothing put back on. I was told not to lift anything at all with it. My wrist is very stiff and he wants me to exercise it to try and get it moving again. I hope I can get the movement back. Still hurts but will do what he says.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.537 seconds