dcsimg

My accident

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Thanks everyone. Some lady crashed her car into my truck and was just going to leave. She didn’t know I was in it! I jumped out of the truck to stop her but fell on my face. Another guy was in his truck and came to my rescue . Stopped the lady and called a ambulance. Cops couldn’t charge her because it was on private property. Doctor said 6-8 weeks to heal.

That’s awful! I can’t believe they can’t charge her just because it’s private property!

It’s some kind of nonsense she can walk away as if nothing happened. Nonsense!

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks everyone. Some lady crashed her car into my truck and was just going to leave. She didn’t know I was in it! I jumped out of the truck to stop her but fell on my face. Another guy was in his truck and came to my rescue . Stopped the lady and called a ambulance. Cops couldn’t charge her because it was on private property. Doctor said 6-8 weeks to heal.

That’s awful! I can’t believe they can’t charge her just because it’s private property!

It’s some kind of nonsense she can walk away as if nothing happened. Nonsense!

It is nonsense.

Last fall my was rear end at traffic light while she was stopped and turning left. My wife got the woman who hit turn hotel parking lot. The woman couldn’t wait around for the police to come so she left. She did give my wife her driver lic and insurance info before left.
    There was my wife trying report this to police and call her boss as she was on her way to a conference.
    People do not care about people anymore and everybody seem to be in hurry to go no where. Anymore I hate to drive on the roads.
    Couple weeks I pulled out into the fast land while driving in town when a older lady started blowing her horn. When I looked in my side mirror she was throwing her hand up in the air. I am really not sure what her hurry was as there was several cars ahead of me.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You can still file a police report even if an accident happened on a private property. Sometimes the police will refuse to come out if it’s a minor thing and they are short staffed for emergency response. You can still go to the station and file one there.

With the police report the insurance companies can go to work on their “blame assignment” process LOL. But it’s hard to believe the police won’t come out if it involves a hit n run and severe bodily injuries. I mean some police will come out for a mailbox post got tilted five degrees.

Police did come and make a report. They just couldn’t site her.
    I called my insurance company and they are going after the lady. If I pay the deductible my insurance will fix my truck right away, I opted to wait on the lady’s insurance to pay.

Still healing with lots of bruising. Broken right arm still casted and left hand very bruised and can barely use it . Feel pretty helpless with no use of hands. Can type with 1 finger ! lol Bored to tears.

Doobie

Still healing with lots of bruising. Broken right arm still casted and left hand very bruised and can barely use it . Feel pretty helpless with no use of hands. Can type with 1 finger ! lol Bored to tears.

Not good man. That sucks.

I would guess you can’t even drive right now anyways?

I can only imagine the basic everyday things that are near impossible for you to do right now.

You should be able to run the TV remote with just 1 finger. 🙂

Sorry to hear you are so sore. Sure takes longer to feel better when we get older. Hang in there Ron.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

You can still file a police report even if an accident happened on a private property. Sometimes the police will refuse to come out if it’s a minor thing and they are short staffed for emergency response. You can still go to the station and file one there.

With the police report the insurance companies can go to work on their “blame assignment” process LOL. But it’s hard to believe the police won’t come out if it involves a hit n run and severe bodily injuries. I mean some police will come out for a mailbox post got tilted five degrees.

I called my insurance company and they are going after the lady. If I pay the deductible my insurance will fix my truck right away, I opted to wait on the lady’s insurance to pay.

It must be some comfort to know she will be held responsible at least. I’m thinking about you, Ron, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

It must be some comfort to know she will be held responsible at least. I’m thinking about you, Ron, and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Yeah I’m hoping she regrets and understands what she did.

Thinking about you Ron , get better soon Bud.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That is nice to see that lady’s insurance will be fixing your truck. One less thing to worry about. I am sure it is tough not able to do alot.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What about the medical bills for you? Will her insurance cover that or no?

I could see “legally” she is not responsible since you made the choice to jump out to go after her and fell in the process.

On the other hand these are all happening together and if she didn’t run off you wouldn’t be jumping out to run after her.

CB
    Pro

People do not care about people anymore and everybody seem to be in hurry to go no where. Anymore I hate to drive on the roads.
    Couple weeks I pulled out into the fast land while driving in town when a older lady started blowing her horn. When I looked in my side mirror she was throwing her hand up in the air. I am really not sure what her hurry was as there was several cars ahead of me.

I turn on my turn signal 1 full mile before the exit, to get over to the right lane, then everyone has to suddenly speed up. So I slow down, and then everyone behind me has to get around me, choosing the lane that I’ve signalled my intent to get into to do so.

This goes on for about a half mile or so, and then I decide enough is enough and I just start moving over. People aren’t very kind these days, but they are good at something. Being selfish.

They quickly do the math, and see that in a battle between their 4,500 lb Toyota versus my 16,000 lb F-550 loaded with tools, they might not win.

Yes the horns are blaring, but the lane is finally clearing, just as my exit approaches.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

Doobie

I could see “legally” she is not responsible since you made the choice to jump out to go after her and fell in the process.

On the other hand these are all happening together and if she didn’t run off you wouldn’t be jumping out to run after her.

I wondered that as well and is why I suggested maybe a consult with a lawyer as none of us here are lawyers that I’m aware of.

See, if for example you had to jump out of the way a car barreling towards you and you broke your foot in doing so, yea, there’s a genuine causal relationship. But in this case, Ron was just trying to engage with the driver after the accident was over and hurt himself in doing so. Where does that stand?

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I turn on my turn signal 1 full mile before the exit, to get over to the right lane, then everyone has to suddenly speed up. So I slow down, and then everyone behind me has to get around me, choosing the lane that I’ve signalled my intent to get into to do so.

This goes on for about a half mile or so, and then I decide enough is enough and I just start moving over. People aren’t very kind these days, but they are good at something. Being selfish.

They quickly do the math, and see that in a battle between their 4,500 lb Toyota versus my 16,000 lb F-550 loaded with tools, they might not win.

Yes the horns are blaring, but the lane is finally clearing, just as my exit approaches.

Your right people aren’t that kind these days.
    There is a section of 4 lane highway near where I work. There was 2 accidents in same day. The road crew had just clean up the road from the first accident when the next one happen. From what I heard a SUV hit a parked road crew work truck. There was couple having domestic dispute in the SUV.

Greg

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

One thing I have noticed is that it seems the new generation of drivers no longer use their turn signals.

I don’t know whether it is an act of selfishness, that using the turn signal is helping other cars nearby instead of the driver. Is that the thinking? Why do people signal less and less?

The other is cell phone use. You are on the left turn storage lane, light goes green, cars start turning, the car in front of you does not, he or she has the head down looking at the cell, and does not go until the light goes yellow or someone honks from behind. By then I am stuck behind the red light again.

Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

Hope your healing up well.

Luckily I’ve never had a major injury(since I was 3 and had a Husky play a tittle rough, ending with 3 a bunch of stitches in my face), knock on wood; but in my line of work, These days, I’m more likely to either lose a body part or get AIDS/hepatitis, rather than a flesh/bone wound.

Hopefully one of these days I’ll get out of that nightmare.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

One thing I have noticed is that it seems the new generation of drivers no longer use their turn signals.

I don’t know whether it is an act of selfishness, that using the turn signal is helping other cars nearby instead of the driver. Is that the thinking? Why do people signal less and less?

The other is cell phone use. You are on the left turn storage lane, light goes green, cars start turning, the car in front of you does not, he or she has the head down looking at the cell, and does not go until the light goes yellow or someone honks from behind. By then I am stuck behind the red light again.

The penalty for distracted driving (cell phone use) here in Ontario can be a $2,000 fine and a 7 day license suspension. Second offence goes to $3,000 and 30 days.

We don’t see a lot of drivers risking that anymore.

Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

The penalty for distracted driving (cell phone use) here in Ontario can be a $2,000 fine and a 7 day license suspension. Second offence goes to $3,000 and 30 days.

Yeah it’s still pretty bad here in Montreal
    I think it’s something like 600 dollars and 6 or maybe slightly more demerit points.

Doobie

I still see plenty of it here even with the new stiffer penalties.

It’s when I hear someone like a real estate agent say ‘it’s a risk I need to take and is the cost of doing business’. That kind of mentality just irks me.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You should be able to run the TV remote with just 1 finger. 🙂

Sorry to hear you are so sore. Sure takes longer to feel better when we get older. Hang in there Ron.

Actually it hurts to use the remote! lol Both hands are a mess.
    Cant even open a bottle. Couldn’t open the back door to go sit on the deck.
    I hope everyone sees when I hot the thank you button. It means a lot to me that you all care and send good wishes. Thank you

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I will be covered by my health insurance for the hospital bill.
    I am letting my insurance co. for the truck handle going after her. I figure they know best. They did ask about what hospital I went to so maybe they will get something. I kinda feel it was my fault I fell. Now everyone is teasing me and saying to stop chasing cars !

I wondered that as well and is why I suggested maybe a consult with a lawyer as none of us here are lawyers that I’m aware of.

See, if for example you had to jump out of the way a car barreling towards you and you broke your foot in doing so, yea, there’s a genuine causal relationship. But in this case, Ron was just trying to engage with the driver after the accident was over and hurt himself in doing so. Where does that stand?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

In Florida the distracted driving is only when one is operating the vehicles. So texting at a red light is not illegal, which now creates the red light fools.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.543 seconds