dcsimg

Multiples of the Same Tool

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

Do you have more than one of a certain power tool? How many do you have and how are multiples useful to you?

Dan

danpattison.com

I have a myriad of multiples for hand tools purely for convenience, but not so much on power tools yet. I can store them in different locations for prioritizing my ease of use / access

John S

I have at least 2 of each, sometimes more on hand tools. i have like three tool pouches with the same tool in each. I do it just incase i get another job(spur of the moment) i can leave one with my helper i can just take off to get it estimated and sometimes complete it on the spot. Power tools is great cause i have different brands. i need to charge different batteries all at once. im tryin to stay with one brand. but its hard to do that

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I have at least two of most power tools. I normally keep one in my trailer and one in the shop. Most times I will have my trailer with me, so I could get away with one, however I like to keep all my trailer tools in the trailer. This way I know I will always have the tools with me when I need them. When I first started I would always leave something in the shop. Now I don’t have to worry about that.

woodman_412

I keep all my tools in the shop and load them in the truck as needed when I’m working on site but I do have multiples of different tools. I have multiple routers and drills which I find save time because you can have different bits mounted in them so when you are doing a job that requires more than one set up there is no switching back and forth. I have 2 drill presses and 2 bandsaws, one small one of each and one floor model of each. The small ones are nice when you need it on the job site or as a backup if the full size one is out of commission for some reason.

Dan

danpattison.com

Dan and others – I imagine that most of the multiples that you do have consist of tools you originally bought separately; with one being older and then the newer model “replacing” the old (though never getting rid of it)… correct? Or have you guys simply bought two of the same thing for the explicit roles of home vs. portable or convenience??

John S

woodman_412

John, most of the multiples that I have are due to buying another of the tool for improved features or more capacity, and since there is nothing wrong with the other tool, I keep it since it’s a useful tool to have more than one of. I’ve never gone out and bought 2 identical tools at the same time just because it’s more convenient to have multiples.

Dan

danpattison.com

I have bought many a hand tool for upgrades or as secondary junkers I am willing to part with / destroy, but I normally do not buy more than one at a time unless it happens to be some garage sale killer price

John S

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I have multiples of a lot of tools. Mostly hand tools but also some power tools. I don’t even want to think about how many hand tools I have multiples of!

woodman_412

I have quite a few multiples of hand tools as well. Most of them have a specific place they are kept and specific purpose though. Most of them are a little different from the others too.

Dan

danpattison.com

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Multiples on routers (no time wasted changing bits), saws( already set up with the specific blades that you might want), sanders (variety), drills, hand tools…. Oh heck everything!
    I like to go to yard sales and buy the guys entire shop, that is where you get the best price.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

hand tool wise i have 3 or 4 of most things.. at last count i think i had close to a dozen fat max tape measuers and 10 chalk lines.

power tool wise. some things i have one of others i have 2 or 3 of, some of which because one is really beat up and i want the 2nd kept for precise work, others because i just have an addiction

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

lol admitting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery Jeff 🙂

Although who wants to be cured from a tool addiction, tools are great fun! I think that’s a record for fat max tapes though, at least of everyone I know.

Dan

danpattison.com

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

“Hello my name is Jeff and I’m a tooloholic” 😉

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

exactly
    i buy the fatmax tapes when they go on sale, the 2pk of the 25′ and 16′ for 19.99, the rona that just closed had them down to $13.75 for clearance so i stocked up lol. i carry the 25 for framing and icf, 16 for trim and siding

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

Measuring tapes last me for years so I never really buy new ones. I’ve had my Stanley powerlock for about 14 years and just keep it in my truck now for a spare. My 25′ fatmax and 10′ cabinet makers tape are my most used tapes.

Dan

danpattison.com

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

When we work in the field I only get a couple of years from a tape measure which is about how long my power saws last.
    I lose most tapes by giving them away to co-workers and I get a little joy out of seeing them use the tapes I’ve given them.
    I always put a company logo sticker on my tapes so they are easy to see.

Yes, the little white Makita drills, the 12v (or really the 10.8v ones)

I have 6 of them, plus the aqua drill driver kit, so 8 total. In cabinet making, there are a million bits to keep switching out, so I have pretty much all of the torx bits covered, plus woodcraft bits, shelf drilling bits, pocket hole bits….I can’t stand changing and changing all day long.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I like to collect tapes and Hammers. If I need a tool fix, I will either buy a new Fatmax or a different hammer.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Kent, I thought I was the only one who felt that way.
    I hate to stop and change bits. I want to grab the tool and work!

Brian, I have to be careful about Hammers or I would try to get one of every kind.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 250 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.803 seconds