dcsimg

Multimeters

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Boschmanbrian 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jaftwo
    Pro
    San Diego, California

I’ve been looking for a general purpose multimeter and noticed quite a large range of prices between the brands I used back in my aerospace days (Fluke) and the new one’s that are in the $30 – $70 price range. I don’t need it to be certified, but I don’t want a “throw away” meter either.

Would the Fluke 117 be worth the extra cost?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I’ve been looking for a general purpose multimeter and noticed quite a large range of prices between the brands I used back in my aerospace days (Fluke) and the new one’s that are in the $30 – $70 price range. I don’t need it to be certified, but I don’t want a “throw away” meter either.

Welcome to BTP Jerry , aerospace , may I ask what company ,
    We’ve had plenty of good experiences with fluke plus Klein and the lower end MasterCraft was not bad for the price (for personal home use ) but definitely for more options and wider range fluke and Klein.

CB
    Pro

Depends on what you use the meter for. Sometimes, cheap, featureless, simple meters are not only all that is necessary, but are actually preferable due to being “throw away”. They can be dropped, kicked, cracked, crushed, or stolen without much regret, and still manage to measure voltage and current.

If it really doesn’t matter whether the line voltage is 119 VAC or 120 VAC, a fine resolution root mean square meter might not be worth exposing to the hazards of construction, so you’d want a cheaper meter anyway to save the good meter for when required.

If DC control board instrumentation depends on a tenth of a volt difference, you’ll want a quality Fluke meter. I’ve measured up to two tenths of a volt difference dc from meter to meter between brands/types.

jaftwo
    Pro
    San Diego, California

Thanks,
    I was with Singer-Ling, CAE, Hughes, Reflectone, Raytheon, and L3 Communications.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks,
    I was with Singer-Ling, CAE, Hughes, Reflectone, Raytheon, and L3 Communications.

Haha I’m with CAE built military cabinets and consoles for L3
    Flight simulators for CAE and now back in the military side

Do you happen to know a Carl Page

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I have small Greenlee muiltimeter. It was bought at Electrical supply place for around $50.00 several years ago. I have had good luck with it.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Kevin6
    Pro

Here’s a good overview of the Klein lineup – features and price level https://bestmultimeterreviews.org/klein-multimeter-review/

jaftwo
    Pro
    San Diego, California

No, don’t know him. I was in the Navy’s S-3A/B simulator programs and later the Air Force F-15 Trainer Software Support Center.

I finally settled on the Fluke 87 — used a lot of Fluke equipment over the years. Was tempted when I saw you can still buy Simpson 260 meters (think it’s been about 40 years since I last used one!)

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Was tempted when I saw you can still buy Simpson 260 meters (think it’s been about 40 years since I last used one!)

Simpson makes a very good meter, it has been a while since I used one as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

No, don’t know him. I was in the Navy’s S-3A/B simulator programs and later the Air Force F-15 Trainer Software Support Center.

I finally settled on the Fluke 87 — used a lot of Fluke equipment over the years. Was tempted when I saw you can still buy Simpson 260 meters (think it’s been about 40 years since I last used one!)

Yeah it was a Long shot , but I figured I’d ask
    That’s a pretty cool simulator
    Sounds like you had a pretty wide range of tasks

Good choice on the fluke

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.280 seconds