dcsimg

Multigrip Reciprocating Saw GSA18V-125N Review

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve had my GSA18V-125N multi grip recip since I redeemed for it last November to upgrade from my older Bosch corded RS7. With a reciprocating saw (like I used to be with pretty much any saw) I was worried that going from corded to cordless I would miss out on the power of a corded tool and be constantly in danger of running out of available run time from relying on stored battery power. But the kit I got came with a Core 6.3 Ah battery and, having used this tool for almost a year now, I have yet to find myself scrambling to feed the energy needs of the motor. Now, I’m not doing all day demos, but I’ve torn apart pallets, cut through metal bolts, rough cut 2x material, pruned trees, ripped through drywall, chewed through counter tops and put it through its paces time and time again and have yet to have to run out of juice, so I have been happily surprised and impressed! Part of that is that I don’t typically use it solidly for a ton of time, part of that is having plenty of batteries, but it’s also rare that I drain even one full battery because of the newer brushless motor technology and how well this tool was designed! When I’ve really needed to just eat through material the orbital action vastly speeds up the cutting process, so I’m not wasting battery power cutting slowly and carefully, but if I need to cut through lighter material (like thin aluminum for example) going without the orbital gives a lot more control and a finer cut edge.

I was also a little worried about the unique design of the handle making it awkward to hold, as I’ve used the standard handle orientation for years on other corded and cordless models, Bosch as well as other brands, but the only thing I’ve found to be at all cumbersome is the safety release on the trigger in some grip positions, but overall it’s been nicer to have more real estate to choose from to hold onto for navigating tricky situations.

The one complaint I’ve had with it is with the blade holding mechanism. On mine I’ve had to push pretty hard to get blades to really seat properly in the locking mechanism. I always make sure to fully retract the release lever, but I still have to grip the blades and push harder than I’d like to get them to engage enough that they don’t pull out during a cut. I haven’t been able to find anything jamming the opening, but there could be something going on I’m not aware of, so that may be a problem unique to my tool and not a design issue, but I can’t be sure.

I really like the rafter hook on it – I’ve used it on branches and ladder rungs, as well as 2x material and it’s perfectly balanced to hold the tool securely.

This is a great tool, one I’m exceptionally happy to have been able to add to my arsenal and I am so thankful for BTP for allowing me to redeem for it!

Charlie

Instagram

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Thanks Charlie. This one is on my radar screen as my old one is soon in need of replacement. I have not decided for sure which one to get, but this one is in the running.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

@cmeyer25 great review Charlie ,
    One thing I would like to have is those led lights on my older cordless Bosch recip
    I have had a little issue with my locking mechanism to , but I blew it out with my compressor and airgun , then slightly sprayed Teflon spray it’s okay now

Looks like it’s been servicing you well.
    The rafter hook would definitely be a nice to have.
    Thanks for the review and info.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

great review Charlie ,
    One thing I would like to have is those led lights on my older cordless Bosch recip
    I have had a little issue with my locking mechanism to , but I blew it out with my compressor and airgun , then slightly sprayed Teflon spray it’s okay now

That’s a good point Brian, I should definitely try lubricating it a little after blowing some air through it. That may be all it needs after all the different types of dust I’ve gotten in it 🙂

As far as the lights go, I ha ent really noticed that they’ve been all that helpful – all my recip use is usually rough cut and in well lit spaces, so it hasn’t really been something I’ve needed. Maybe that would be different if the lights were somewhere other than inside the neck with the blade though?

Charlie

Instagram

Doobie

The one complaint I’ve had with it is with the blade holding mechanism. On mine I’ve had to push pretty hard to get blades to really seat properly in the locking mechanism. I always make sure to fully retract the release lever, but I still have to grip the blades and push harder than I’d like to get them to engage enough that they don’t pull out during a cut. I haven’t been able to find anything jamming the opening, but there could be something going on I’m not aware of, so that may be a problem unique to my tool and not a design issue, but I can’t be sure.

I’ve found it finicky for sitting blades as well.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

all my recip use is usually rough cut and in well lit spaces

Wait till you get under a crawlspace!

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Looks bulky, and difficult to get into tight spots.

I have a Milwaukee M28 for a cordless, and some Milwaukee corded, and I find that most of the time that I’m using a SawZall, I look something like a contortionist with a death wish. 😮 😆

I don’t think I could get that thing into 90% of the places I use a recip.

Goin' Down In Flames........

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve yet to use a recip in a crawl space…that seems a bit beyond the kind of work I want to be doing, lol!

I have a Milwaukee M28 for a cordless, and some Milwaukee corded, and I find that most of the time that I’m using a SawZall, I look something like a contortionist with a death wish. 😮 😆

I have been pretty surprised myself – I had to cut some toilet flange bolts where the toilet was around the wall of the shower and it was tight enough that getting a hack saw in was too much of a fight, but this recip made it just fine.

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I’ve yet to use a recip in a crawl space…that seems a bit beyond the kind of work I want to be doing, lol!

I have been pretty surprised myself – I had to cut some toilet flange bolts where the toilet was around the wall of the shower and it was tight enough that getting a hack saw in was too much of a fight, but this recip made it just fine.

Charlie

Instagram

great review Charlie ,

That’s a good point Brian, I should definitely try lubricating it a little after blowing some air through it. That may be all it needs after all the different types of dust I’ve gotten in it 🙂

As far as the lights go, I ha ent really noticed that they’ve been all that helpful – all my recip use is usually rough cut and in well lit spaces, so it hasn’t really been something I’ve needed. Maybe that would be different if the lights were somewhere other than inside the neck with the blade though?

Yeah that’s one thing I found with my older Bosch cordless model , used it in poorly lit basement work before I had all these fancy cordless lights
    As I’m getting older I find I need more and more lights LoL.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Or, using it to cut a birthday cake while the lights are off so the candles can be captured for the perfect Kodak moment, a recip. saw light would help with cutting a perfect wedge.

Does this saw have an orbital option?

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Does this saw have an orbital option?

It does – and it makes a huge difference when cutting through thick stock.

Charlie

Instagram

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Thanks Charlie. This one is on my radar screen as my old one is soon in need of replacement. I have not decided for sure which one to get, but this one is in the running.

Jim I have the GSA18V-083B Bosch 18V Compact recip. I really like it. It seems to be the right size for doing jobs around the house. It is nice to handle and I like that it isn’t heavy.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Doobie

Jim I have the GSA18V-083B Bosch 18V Compact recip. I really like it. It seems to be the right size for doing jobs around the house. It is nice to handle and I like that it isn’t heavy.

I have it, and it is my first go to recip typically. For much smaller tasks I have the 12V model also. The bigger ergo model with a 1.25 inch stroke is my go to when needed, but it is heavier. But it is way more brutish also.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have it, and it is my first go to recip typically. For much smaller tasks I have the 12V model also. The bigger ergo model with a 1.25 inch stroke is my go to when needed, but it is heavier. But it is way more brutish also.

I would like to get the 12V recip saw. I think it would be great for those smaller jobs.
    How do you like your 12V recip saw Kevin?

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How do you like your 12V recip saw

I have one as well and really like it. The 12V line is a lot more powerful than people think.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

How do you like your 12V recip saw

I have one as well and really like it. The 12V line is a lot more powerful than people think.

Thanks Bill glad you like 12V recip. I am sure right the 12V line is more powerful then what people think. I happy with what 12V tools I have.

Greg

Doobie

I would like to get the 12V recip saw. I think it would be great for those smaller jobs.
    How do you like your 12V recip saw Kevin?

It’s been a handy little recip to have at times.

One of the reasons that spurred me to get it was when Eric, @montrealwoodworker a few years ago showed how he was using it with an old metal blade he sharpened on a grinder to a blade and he’d been using it to cut up big thickish cardboard for recycling. I still haven’t used it for that, but it’s another good potential use for it being an easier alternative than a standard cutter knife alone.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.473 seconds