dcsimg

Mud soaked wood?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

The ancient Hawaiians would soak their wooden tools and weapons in wet mud ponds too harden them. Hawaiians around here still do it to their poi boards http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/C7tyhReGYAE/hqdefault.jpg (this one doesn’s seem to be soaked yet). From my understanding they choose the soft kinda silt based mud sitting in water that your foot can sink really far down into if you step into it, they let it soak for about 3 months, and I guess the moisture in the wood gets replaced by the mineral rich moisture and the cells become filled mineral deposits. As a result the wood becomes very hard, heavy and can withstand high impact as well as last a century with no sealer or finish coats required. I can’t for the life of me find a single source of info on this online (might not have the right terminology), but I’ve seen and felt the results in person. The closest I’ve found online is river logs that have soaked for 20+ years but that’s only slightly similar and takes 80x longer to achieve. Anyone familiar with this technique?

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This is a good one for @dirtywhiteboy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

This is a good one for dirtywhiteboy

Red being born here is like my son gets a lot more of the Hawaiian culture. I have not heard of this one.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Red being born here is like my son gets a lot more of the Hawaiian culture. I have not heard of this one.

I guess it’s up to me to give it a try and share results then.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

It does make sense as some of the cells will get filled with the minerals from the water / mud which would replace air with something harder and denser.

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

how long have you been in Hawaii @dirtywhiteboy

It does make sense as some of the cells will get filled with the minerals from the water / mud which would replace air with something harder and denser.

There’s certainly proof of concept on the island, they make their poi pounders out of lava rocks and poi is made by smashing up a a dense tuber root and adding water over time. So the wood gets constantly hit by water and pounded rocks and holds up perfectly, I’m guessing they pick n choose harder woods with high cell counts but I really don’t know. I bet it’d make the meanest cutting board of all time though if done right.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

here is an article about “super wood”that I came across the other day. It involves compressing the wood to make it denser.

https://www.constructionequipment.com/new-super-wood-stronger-titanium-tougher-steel?eid=216521905&bid=2000833

here is an article about “super wood”that I came across the other day. It involves compressing the wood to make it denser.

https://www.constructionequipment.com/new-super-wood-stronger-titanium-tougher-steel?eid=216521905&bid=2000833

Hmm that’s pretty neat, I wonder what it’s like cutting if it’s that hard. Imagine what the wood shaving’s would look like if you used a really nice Japanese hand plane. It’s a shame they didn’t show pictures of the wood surface other than through a microscope.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

how long have you been in Hawaii @dirtywhiteboy

I came for Florida in 1986,,, So that makes me a main land Haole. Red I would guess is a local Haole,, there is a huge difference.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

Wow, that is very interesting, I wish they showed more pictures of the wood going through the process.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.393 seconds