dcsimg

Most Important Technology to Embrace

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    LaurenB
    Pro

Hi all!

I just wanted to get a feel for what all of you think is the most important technology to embrace on the job site. I know there is a lot of talk about how the construction world needs to join the digital age; what do you feel is the best place to start for those who are just beginning to incorporate modern technology and software?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Welcome @laurenb! Please visit the intro page and tell us a bit about yourself!

Exactly what kind of “modern technology and software” are you speaking of?

I’ll admit that I just typed out (and subsequently deleted) a long winded response that may have been a bit short sighted..basically stating that most of the worlds modern technology doesnt belong on a job site. Planning and office related stuff, sure technology is great, but it will never replace my table saw!@

Help me understand what you are getting at!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

my guess would be bluetooth integration in tools.. milwaukee started the movement with one key, dewalt has connect, and bosch has had it on the measuring lasers and now laser levels with more to come.

its definitely a game changer from simply pulling a trigger on a power tool

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just wanted to get a feel for what all of you think is the most important technology to embrace on the job site

I would like to have a remote for my radio.

Doobie

I just wanted to get a feel for what all of you think is the most important technology to embrace on the job site

I would like to have a remote for my radio.

Doesn’t the new BT pB 360s more or less offer that via an app.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

It might be different for different trades, also different for planning and design vs labor.
    The most useful for when trades hit the site are possibly smart and programmable tools, measuring and layout tools which communicate with apps, digital documentation and file sharing for renderings and specifications, time and data tracking apps.
    I always use time tracking and am constantly accessing digital renderings and drawings on my phone files. I use images for documentation and use markup quite a bit on the images. I also use a laser distance measure that works with a bosch app for recording or just making measurements. I use that almost daily and always for anything over 15’ or 5m.

j

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Applications of new technology on the jobsite leads me to think of brushless tools. Lighter weight, higher reliability, fewer replacement parts, greater power to weight ratio, longer battery life are huge improvements. Couple that with improvements in battery design and jobs go quicker and better.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Applications of new technology on the jobsite leads me to think of brushless tools. Lighter weight, higher reliability, fewer replacement parts, greater power to weight ratio, longer battery life are huge improvements. Couple that with improvements in battery design and jobs go quicker and better.

Exactly…but somehow I’m thinking @laurenb had something else in mind.

Jon P.
    Instagram

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Site management software such as our sponsor Blue Collar Software seems to be one of the best technology advances for the commercial contractor. This coupled with smarter IoT connected tools that are able to be tracked by Bluetooth or GPS also make it easier to manage tools, people and productivity on the jobsite using integrated software for phones, tablets and desktop.

In addition, connected measuring tools are a revolution in the making. Gone are the days of calculators and measuring tapes. Laser measuring is upon us and those who have adopted see more than modest gains in productivity when it comes to the layout and take off parts of the job.

Time is money so any improvement in managing time, whether it be less trips to change batteries or less time spent locating a tool or employee make the jobsite more efficient and therefore more profitable.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

LaurenB
    Pro

Thanks everyone! All of your responses are helpful. I was picturing more project management software and 3-D design/blueprinting. I’ve also read quite a bit about how drones have become more commonplace when it comes to surveying land, recording data, and offering real-time project feedback. I didn’t even think about how the tools themselves are more lightweight and offer better efficiency.

I have been researching upcoming trends in construction, specifically technology, and you guys all gave me some better insight. Thank you!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think the project management software such as Builder Trend or Co-Construct will become more common place in the future. We are already seeing our draftsmen add 3D capabilities to their options for homeowners.

I see timekeeping for employees being taken into the smartphones with apps such as busybusy or exaktime. they give real time feedback as to who is on the job and cost tracking.

I have been seeing a lot of articles on drones especially on bigger earthwork projects and being used for roof inspections and such.

In Arizona and Iowa,and I am sure other places, I have seen virtual tours of houses shot with drones flying through the house and exterior footage of a house and yard taken by drones for use in marketing materials for homes.

Unfortunately, as contractors we are typically dinosaurs and slow to grasp new technology, especially computer based ones.

Clev08
    Pro

All the employees that work for the builder we trim houses for have iPads with the prints on them. They also use them to take pictures of anything they think is not right and can communicate with each other in group or individual messages.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

All the employees that work for the builder we trim houses for have iPads with the prints on them. They also use them to take pictures of anything they think is not right and can communicate with each other in group or individual messages.

That’s a pretty good idea really. Will help keep mistakes down when the supervisor is not on site as well as cut delays.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s a pretty good idea really. Will help keep mistakes down when the supervisor is not on site as well as cut delays.

Cut delays? A whole crew walking around with Ipads? I see it the opposite…those things done need to be on site. Sure maybe One guy, buy everyone?

The architect more than likely printed up 4 or 5 copies of the prints…one of which goes to the builder for purpose of building the house! This is a case of technology getting in the way of progress IMO.

Yes, someone has to be responsible for errors in the plan or the execution of the plan, but passing out iPads like sticks of gum seems counterproductive to me.

Jon P.
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I get blue prints via PDFs and hate them I cant see everything on the small screen. I forward them to a repro guy and have a working set.

I can see google earth for site conditions. I like the sketch up programs. They evolved a lot since the days of Punch Pro stuff. I expect to have to know less really. We used to have to know DOS now we dont. I started ona word processor for contracts

A lot of skills were “getting the computer” to do what you wanted by co mingling the abilities of programs. The programs are getting much easier to share information and customize. Thats a beautiful thing.

Toolwise I may buy a digital level 🙂

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

All I can say is I am old and wouldn’t know how to use any of the new tech out there. Wonder how we got along all these years without it. I remember day at work when no one had a phone in their pocket.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I see timekeeping for employees being taken into the smartphones with apps such as busybusy or exaktime. they give real time feedback as to who is on the job and cost tracking.

I think it’s a sad day when a employee has a phone he pays for and pays the service for and the employer uses it to track him.. On this last job I had the T-Sheets app but woke up and said NOT!!! I will not be tracked on my phone.. They don’t need to know where I am at 1:30 am on Sunday morning!!!

Clev08
    Pro

Cut delays? A whole crew walking around with Ipads? I see it the opposite…those things done need to be on site. Sure maybe One guy, buy everyone?

The architect more than likely printed up 4 or 5 copies of the prints…one of which goes to the builder for purpose of building the house! This is a case of technology getting in the way of progress IMO.

Yes, someone has to be responsible for errors in the plan or the execution of the plan, but passing out iPads like sticks of gum seems counterproductive to me.

I’m not totally sure why you think it would be unproductive? When we meet with the homeowner on a house we are trimming, we can show them pictures of other houses we have down to help them visualize what certain options will look like. I’m not sure what distractions an iPad adds to a jobsite where everyone already has a smartphone. In what ways do you see it being counterproductive?

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

I think it’s a sad day when a employee has a phone he pays for and pays the service for and the employer uses it to track him.. On this last job I had the T-Sheets app but woke up and said NOT!!! I will not be tracked on my phone.. They don’t need to know where I am at 1:30 am on Sunday morning!!!

The one’s I’m familiar with are a personal app that freelance contractors or employees use rather than a time sheet. Just a digital time sheet. They can share the data, usually in the form of an excel spread sheet, with the employer in the form of an invoice. Some apps are able to use location services to automatically clock you in and out based on location and the clock in and out and cost info can be shared in real time.

I use lifetracking with my family. I can see where my kids are at 1:30am on a Sunday and they can see where I am also. Total spyware for the family. It turns out the kids use it to see what we’re up to far more than we check in on them, lol.

j

Doobie

Here’s an interesting thought….you know how places lile Amazon/Walmart are looking at drone delivery of small purchases, do you guys out in the field feel that this would be beneficial for same day or within an hour or two deliveries of small orders to a jobsite on occasion?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.306 seconds