dcsimg

More Safety Fails

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

however that’s only when they are going slow, not in transit.

The trucks are going so slow.

Nope not here, The garbage men get paid on the huki Pau system. When they are in transit to their routes they are moving fast! It doesn’t look like those guys are very worried.
    If you guys think that’s dangerous that’s too bad. Stay safe up there.

Up here they allow the guys to hop in the cab and drink a coffee on the way to their route lol

I took this picture this morning because as I am watching the trailer bump over the railroad tracks I noticed the guys on it!

Would that be a city truck delivering recycle bins? Would not be funny if one of the guys fell off, not to mention any of the bins.

No I don’t think it would be funny at all. That’s the norm around here. Guys ride in the back of trucks all the time. Sanitation workers stand on the bumper all day long.
    I misread the thing,,,,,,

Once upon a time, I used to drive around in a Grumman rescue truck (think a milk truck, but with a light bar and a siren), often with the doors open, a bouncy spring for a seat, and no seatbelt. We were lucky nobody ever bounced out onto the highway

Was a different time

Clev08
    Pro

That’s also illegal

Maybe they wern’t in Iowa??? They let the stuff go over here. Too many farm worker get moved around like that.

hey now, I grew up there, rode in the back of lots of pickup trucks and on a lot of hay racks.

Yeah, @DirtyWhiteBoy us Iowans do some crazy stuff, this one time…
    But seriously, I have never met anyone who got pulled over for riding in the back of a truck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s also illegal

Maybe they wern’t in Iowa??? They let the stuff go over here. Too many farm worker get moved around like that.

hey now, I grew up there, rode in the back of lots of pickup trucks and on a lot of hay racks.

Yeah, @dirtywhiteboy us Iowans do some crazy stuff, this one time…
    But seriously, I have never met anyone who got pulled over for riding in the back of a truck.

LOL, I think he meant Idaho LOL…….

Riding in the back of a truck is something we’ve all done, Never was a problem til the seat belt laws. Out in the country or on the farm or even small towns you can still get away with it. But it’s not the same as riding in/on a pull trailer

Doobie

Riding in the back of a truck is something we’ve all done, Never was a problem til the seat belt laws. Out in the country or on the farm or even small towns you can still get away with it.

Actually, over here in Ontario I was surprised to find out that there were no laws with regard to having people riding in the back of a pick-up truck even when travelling on major highways.

Now mind you, this was from an experience I had to deal with in the late 90’s and maybe things have changed since then. I was in charge of this outdoor charitable event and we needed volunteers. One community organization I had reached out to with troubled youths who had been sentenced to do community service was willing to provide the grunt volunteers I needed to do garbage pick-up on the event field that nobody else was willing to do. The problem at the time was that the only mode of transport they had was an old minivan and a pick-up truck to bring the kids up there to the event. I called the police and they informed me that it was perfectly legal to haul people in the back of an open pick-up truck even if the truck is not involved in farming activity or doesn’t have the special farming license plates that farmers can get issued here in Ontario. This included travelling on major highways like the 401 which in Toronto is a 12 lane highway and one of the busiest in NA. Go figure! I was surprised at all this, but it worked out fine for getting people to the event site. Sucked when it was raining for the kids though. lol!

Riding in the back of a truck is something we’ve all done, Never was a problem til the seat belt laws. Out in the country or on the farm or even small towns you can still get away with it.

Actually, over here in Ontario I was surprised to find out that there were no laws with regard to having people riding in the back of a pick-up truck even when travelling on major highways.

Now mind you, this was from an experience I had to deal with in the late 90’s and maybe things have changed since then. I was in charge of this outdoor charitable event and we needed volunteers. One community organization I had reached out to with troubled youths who had been sentenced to do community service was willing to provide the grunt volunteers I needed to do garbage pick-up on the event field that nobody else was willing to do. The problem at the time was that the only mode of transport they had was an old minivan and a pick-up truck to bring the kids up there to the event. I called the police and they informed me that it was perfectly legal to haul people in the back of an open pick-up truck even if the truck is not involved in farming activity or doesn’t have the special farming license plates that farmers can get issued here in Ontario. This included travelling on major highways like the 401 which in Toronto is a 12 lane highway and one of the busiest in NA. Go figure! I was surprised at all this, but it worked out fine for getting people to the event site. Sucked when it was raining for the kids though. lol!

That is surprising. I wonder if there are any municipal laws that apply?

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I was of the understanding that all occupants of any vehicle must be wearing a seat belt in Ontario.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I was of the understanding that all occupants of any vehicle must be wearing a seat belt in Ontario.

Yep,
    My understanding is that you can only have as many passengers as seat belts allow.
    So if you have a pick up with extended cab, 5 or 6 passengers max. None in an area that does not have seat belts.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

This is a bad way to start your morning. According to the story, the driver sustained “non life threatening injuries” I would call it a close one!

http://www.fox29.com/news/240508571-story

IMAGINE BEING THE DRIVER when pipes on a flatbed truck smash through your windshield on a highway.It happened this morning and amazingly, the driver's prognosis is good! http://www.fox29.com/news/240508571-story

Posted by FOX 29 on Thursday, March 9, 2017

This is a bad way to start your morning. According to the story, the driver sustained “non life threatening injuries” I would call it a close one!

http://www.fox29.com/news/240508571-story

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>

<script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3”; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));</script>

IMAGINE BEING THE DRIVER when pipes on a flatbed truck smash through your windshield on a highway.It happened this morning and amazingly, the driver’s prognosis is good! http://www.fox29.com/news/240508571-story

Posted by FOX 29 on Thursday, March 9, 2017

</figure>

Wow that’s crazy, from the picture it looks like the pipes would be in the car right where the person’s neck or head should be. I am always super careful driving behind people with loads, especially trailers or pickups because you never know how well someone strapped the items down. Although they were well secured in this case, maybe the person was distracted on their phone.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I am always super careful driving behind people with loads,

I don’t drive behind loads. I’ve learned already.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am always super careful driving behind people with loads,

I don’t drive behind loads. I’ve learned already.

I don’t either I have had mattresses, TVs, plywood etc fly off cars that had this stuff on the roof that after a while you just figure it is easier to saty back.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Seems like every time I have a load that could possibly have something fall off someone is right on my butt.
    I think steel is a hard thing to keep from moving on a truck. I have seen steel slide right through the cab of the truck hauling it.

Doobie

What kills me is seeing the guys drive with all sorts of stuff in their pick-up trucks meanwhile their gate is down and if you were to ask them, they’ll tell you it’s perfectly safe and they never lose anything. Yea right! 😬

What kills me is seeing the guys drive with all sorts of stuff in their pick-up trucks meanwhile their gate is down and if you were to ask them, they’ll tell you it’s perfectly safe and they never lose anything. Yea right! 😬

I took a brick to my car once from a pickup ahead of me. Hit the road and turned to bouncing shrapnel. After changing my pants, I noticed there was a bright side. My hood and front fenders were rusted to hell, and my windshield had a bunch of patched chips. Insurance replaced all of it with new

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

even when i have a well secured load in my truck and have someone tailgating me, I think about how crazy the person is tailgating.

there is no mention in the article of it the load was flagged properly or not.

Seems like every time I have a load that could possibly have something fall off someone is right on my butt.
    I think steel is a hard thing to keep from moving on a truck. I have seen steel slide right through the cab of the truck hauling it.

Haha that’s true, Seams every time we have had the trailer loaded people always get close, almost as if they were curious.
    Idjits lol

That person or people in the truck were very fortunate.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

even when i have a well secured load in my truck and have someone tailgating me, I think about how crazy the person is tailgating.

there is no mention in the article of it the load was flagged properly or not.

It probably was all proper, loads fail all the time unfortunately.

My best friend had a log truck fall apart in front of him on the highway and took out his truck and 4 others a few years back and the MTO figured nothing was really wrong :/

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

It’s still somewhat dangerous job. Someone can rear end you at any moment and that will be end of it. Looks like they are traveling on the highway too. Yes we see the garbage guys and recycle guys riding alone the back on side streets. Never see them on main road hanging like that. Cops will definitely stop you and you will get ticket

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.375 seconds