dcsimg

Modified Cart for Bosch (Sortimo) L-Boxx Transport

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I frequently have to install security door locks in areas far removed from the parking lot. Now that I am moving all of my tools, jigs, and hardware into the L-Boxx cases, I thought I would make or modify something that would make local transport a little easier.

I was going to make a cart using 23mm MDF, casters, and a handle cut from an old hand truck. The dimension of the MDF was to be 90cm x 60cm to give me enough room for two stacks of L-Boxx cases. Then I found this Meister 300 kilogram cart on Amazon.de:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009PM6URQ/

At €50 (about $53) and free shipping, I can’t even come close to that price by assembling the components at the hardware store. It is definitely lighter than the MDF version I was going to build and has a folding handle for storage when not in use.

I bought these 3D printed clips from an eBay seller for $14 a pair. The finish on the clips is a little rough, but they are strong and mate perfectly with the L-Boxx. I bought them in red to match the Bosch trim color.

The cart arrived this morning, and after I assembled it, I located the clips and drilled the holes. Originally, I was going to use 35mm M5 machine screws to go through the cart, but after staring at the cart for a while, decided to use M5 rivnuts instead with 15mm M5 machine screws. I wish I had the epiphany before I drilled the holes.

Cart-1 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

The location of the front clips made two of the holes hidden by the wheel bases, so the rivnuts solved the problem of how to use all four screws for the clips. The L-brackets on the three edges are used for attaching tie-down straps, which I ordered separately just in case.

Cart-3 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

Here is a view of the cart with the handle folded.

Cart-2 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

Here are some views of the cart with some of my tool cases loaded.

Cart-4 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

Cart-5 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

Cart-6 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

Cart-7 by Mike66GE[/url], on Flickr

There is a little play boxes when attached to the clips, so the last image looks like the cases are not aligned properly. They are.

Overall, I am happy with this cart so far, and the wheels are tough enough for parking lots and soft enough for tile and carpeted floors. I pushed the cart as loaded down the sidewalk near my house, and the rubber did not pick up any loose stones or debris that could scratch a softer floor.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I bought these 3D printed clips from an eBay seller for $14 a pair. The finish on the clips is a little rough, but they are strong and mate perfectly with the L-Boxx. I bought them in red to match the Bosch trim color.

Very nice cart you build there @MikeK
    Btw one of our members @kswiss makes those clips as well.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Nice cart set up, I need to make one like that or get another L-Doly

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I like the set up but would it help if you build them a shelve system so you can pull out which ever lboxx you want instead of unstacking them all

Wow awesome cart setup, it looks like you have the perfect solution for what you were trying to achieve.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice job on the cart mods. Better than just one stack like the L-CART would have pro idea you.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

I like the set up but would it help if you build them a shelve system so you can pull out which ever lboxx you want instead of unstacking them all

Thank you for the suggestion. The intent of the tight stacking was so I could put the cart in the car trunk with the boxes or back seat when I drive to and from the work sites.

The last lock installation job I had was in two different buildings in Belgium. Cars were not allowed into the small compound on the installation, so I had to park about 500 meters away and carry the tools through the access stations. I was beat even before I started the installation job. Now it will be much easier.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Nice cart set up, I need to make one like that or get another L-Doly

Nice job on the cart mods. Better than just one stack like the L-CART would have pro idea you.

I have one L-Dolly, but doubt I’ll use it now.

Great cart idea – well done! I think this is a pretty similar cart in dimensions for those in the US interested in something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Platform-Warehouse/dp/B01EO673D2

John S

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Great cart idea – well done! I think this is a pretty similar cart in dimensions for those in the US interested in something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Platform-Warehouse/dp/B01EO673D2

Yes, that looks like the same base. The differences are the lack of tie-down brackets, locking wheels, and the accessory pouch I forgot to mention in the handle.

The matting on the working surface is a thin rubber (or similar material) sheet glued to the flat metal surface. It provides a nice cushion for the boxes.

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Very nice cart you build there @mikek

I saw the 3D thread, but didn’t see any mention of selling them. I could have missed it.

@MikeK, nice set up, good job on using rivnuts, how did you know about those, did you use the tools or puller to install them.

You can always use a bungee cord to secure the boxes on the plate on the handle, just in case you hit a bump or divet in the parking lot

Great job on the dolly.

The differences are the lack of tie-down brackets, locking wheels, and the accessory pouch I forgot to mention in the handle.

The matting on the working surface is a thin rubber (or similar material) sheet glued to the flat metal surface. It provides a nice cushion for the boxes.

Ohhh, I didn’t realize the US version lacked locking wheels… good call!

Great joy on the dolly again, @MikeK

John S

Doobie

Nice mobile setup Mike. Gotta say, think I’d prefer my Sys-cart and Systainers for what you were doing. But thanks for sharing!

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Very nice cart you build there @mikek

I saw the 3D thread, but didn’t see any mention of selling them. I could have missed it.

Ya I haven’t seen a selling thread for it but just shoot him a pm when you need some. I know he does make some.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I can definitely make some, if anyone wants anything like that let me know

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

@Boschmanbrian:

When I install the lock strikes on the metal door frame, in most cases the metal is not thick enough to allow more than one or two threads for the machine screws. To compensate for this, I use steel M5 rivnuts to secure the strike. I bought the compression tool, M5 mandrel, drill, and rivnuts from McMaster-Carr:

Plier-Style Rivet Nut Installation Tool
    M5 Mandrel and Nosepiece Set
    7.6mm Drill
    M5 Zinc-Plated Steel Rivnut

I have a set of ratcheting tie-down straps on order that were shipped from a different vendor.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How does that cart work going up and down stairs???

MikeK
    Pro
    Darmstadt, Germany, APO

Really? How do any carts work going up and down stairs?

Doobie

Really? How do any carts work going up and down stairs?

That’s one of the reasons I was thinking of the SysCart over a flatbed style of transporter. You still get a four wheel cart, but also one that you can pull up stairs when needed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.340 seconds