dcsimg

Modern doors knobs in place of old mortise style.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Skillman 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a customer that has asked me to replace the old style with new style handsets.

I’m trying to figure out what the best way of going about it is. I don’t know if I should create a jig and Lee mortise the existing hole to accommodate a specific size piece of wood that I can glue inside.

Any ideas or suggestions I haven’t done it before although I know what needs to be done and I need to figure out how much time I would need to invest per door in order to input an estimate.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If the mortises are not consistent, I think I would go with the jig and cut them so they would accept a consistent block of wood. Bit I would say that depends on how many you have. If it is just a couple, fit them individually, if it is a lot go with the jig.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Pictures of the old mortise and new lock/handset would help a lot.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I thinking they were all hand chiseled so if I plunge routed a consistent hole then I could plug it with an appropriate piece.
    I could rip the thickness and round over the edges to match the plunge radius.

Glue it like a tenon and pin nail it.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

I’ve only ever did one door so I just did a hand fit. Made the filler piece a snug fit, glued it up and tapped it into place. The one I did appeared to be drilled with a series of holes so I had sone chisel work to do to clean that up. It may go alot faster with the router

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I suppose the question is can you plunge deep enough to completely fill the void.
    Of I may be over killing it. Some epoxy and a loose plug would also work.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Im sorry bought Im not understanding what your mortiseing the rail of the door frame . I think it’s me not understanding lol

Always willing to learn .

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

This kind of job.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Now I see thanks for the clarification with the linked video . I totally understand what your talking about now .

Always willing to learn .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.560 seconds