dcsimg

modern design or contemporary which do you prefer

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I dont like retro “70s version” or current modern. I agree as well I nice old victorians, and craftsman styles

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I like the look of trim, but do appreciate all sorts of design. For those with small children, wood trim also serves as a protective barrier.

@jkirk, do you have any good sites for
    Trim work around doors and windows,
    Also going to be doing paneling in the dining room, would love to get some different options.
    Need some newer ideas.
    Thanks.

Try checking out the This Is Carpentry site, lots of good stuff there, also look at the Gary Katz site.
    If you’ve got a chance, try to find a copy of American Graphic Standards.

Thanks for that, I have already been visiting Gary Katz site. Good tips.

@jkirk
    thanks for the info.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We are having a lot of new modern design homes going up over here now.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Most modern homes going up these days don’t have much for style or design , they just slap them up these days .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We are having a lot of new modern design homes going up over here now.

Most modern homes going up these days don’t have much for style or design , they just slap them up these days .

Are these homes using lots of glass and metal or just skipping the traditional features? Around here, modern generally means open floor plan, vaulted ceilings, and a paint grade trim ( less of it too).

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

A lot of the new homes I see have an open concept with vaulted ceilings which is nice. The only thing is the design of the houses are pretty basic .They don’t put a lot of style or thought into the look of the house . The homes are nice inside but not so much on the outside .

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I hate Sheetrock returns. Trim everything.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

To answer the originally question.
    I prefer rustic. Beams, rough cedar everything square no curves. Very Ponderosa Ranch like. I agree the flat no trim look is much harder to achieve. Our drywall contractor charges about 20% more to give a dead flat smooth surface for paint or drywall. This is compared to a texture, orange peel, knock down etc. All production homes around here have sheetrock returns on the windows and a bunch of the custom ones also.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I still trying to get this site to work,,,test test,,,

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

http://www.vintagemouldings.ca/gal.php

thats a gallery of various built up details using the various mouldings sold at my dealer. these are all local jobs by various contractors

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

http://www.vintagemouldings.ca/gal.php

thats a gallery of various built up details using the various mouldings sold at my dealer. these are all local jobs by various contractors

Very nice, thanks for the link, some beautiful details, think I just gave myself more work,

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

One of my first trim jobs was on a trim crew that installed 14 piece crown in the executive offices of a office high rise. This also involved pecan veneer for the wall panels that was ”bookmatched”
    6 years later we were asked to copy old plaster moldings for several buildings and we began to cast the trim, crown and column capitals
    I do love real trim.

sergey061478
    Blocked

i prefer real molding myself.

Bobcdn
    Pro

I prefer the modern clean lines and I have to admit that I quite enjoy the fine detailed work that is needed in each step to produce the straight, square, level result.

But I enjoy doing the fancy mill work as well. Lots of 22.5* cuts!

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Growing up in an old big Victorian home in TO, the workmanship was second to none.

Any home to me would have to have the finish trim work or it just doesn’t look complete.

My current home hade very basic trim and when I redid my flooring, had to put trim with a different profile.

Just me, maybe I’m old school.

I’m with you on that. We just moved into a big, century home with about a gazillion dollars worth of oak at todays prices. Stairs, bannisters, newells, pocket doors, foot high base, dental moulding …. the whole 9 yards and I love it!

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.558 seconds