dcsimg

modern design or contemporary which do you prefer

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

it seems that many architects are going with the very clean, simple streamlined look lately… very minimal trim details mostly flat stock with very few shadow lines created. whats worse is that they are specing drywall returned windows and doors… though its very simply its also leaves nothing to hide.. i find it almost more time consuming making sure everything is deadly straight and square at the frame up stage for when drywall goes on…. add in the fact that wood framing can twist and warp from drying out. its even harder to do thing quickly

what do you guys prefer, simple clena lines or would you rater getting to play on the mire saw more doing built up trim details which draw your eye to detail

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Give me the miter saw – I much prefer trim details. I have never been a fan of drywall returns – give me profiled casing with a stool and apron any day!

If done right, flat stock trim can be nice…some plinth blocks, some fillets, a nice cap…

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

I like the clean lines, but with trim. I think a lot like Chad said, flat casing with a backband and plinth blocks…that Craftsman/Shaker style.

Of course I love when someone wants to pay for built up crowns, and tall base, etc. It is fun to do those projects.

We seem to do projects all across the range.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I like a bit of both I guess. I could care less for that reglet around doors and windows thing that going on though. I dot get the flat white wall trend either. Have fun keeping that clean. Craftsman design is probably my favorite though.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like clean lines put I would pass on drywall returns. They seem very apartment grade and cheap. They do take a lotmof workmm to make them look correct. They neveer have the proper margins in apartments. stock for trim and flat panel doors are fairly common now. More of an arts and crafts look.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I hate contemporary design; or rather, the misuse of it.
    It just seems to easy for a builder to spec flatstock because it’s simple…1/2″-5/8″ base, 3/4″ casing, no details anywhere.
    I am at a point where I’d prefer to learn more detailed and complex builds because I’d appreciate the challenge, and I know it looks better in the end.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

i find it almost more time consuming making sure everything is deadly straight and square at the frame up stage for when drywall goes on….

WWK with the drywall returns I like to use shims to make the jams dead plumb. The sill can be tapped into level before the shear goes on and be ready for the window.

Trim work for me, I really don’t like the look of just finished jip,
    Nothing beats the details on home that has been done properly with trim and casing, and painted up nicely.
    And if in the budget wainscoting.

I think the trim work adds a lot to a house. It doesn’t have to be fancy for me, but even having just basic trim makes the room look so much more finished to my eyes.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Growing up in an old big Victorian home in TO, the workmanship was second to none.

Any home to me would have to have the finish trim work or it just doesn’t look complete.

My current home hade very basic trim and when I redid my flooring, had to put trim with a different profile.

Just me, maybe I’m old school.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

@jkirk, do you have any good sites for
    Trim work around doors and windows,
    Also going to be doing paneling in the dining room, would love to get some different options.
    Need some newer ideas.
    Thanks.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am all about detail , no matter what it is I always like to go that extra mile especially if it is my own house .
    My favourite style is Victorian .

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

@jkirk, do you have any good sites for
    Trim work around doors and windows,
    Also going to be doing paneling in the dining room, would love to get some different options.
    Need some newer ideas.
    Thanks.

Try checking out the This Is Carpentry site, lots of good stuff there, also look at the Gary Katz site.
    If you’ve got a chance, try to find a copy of American Graphic Standards.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

staker
    Pro

I’m all for the trim detail, it makes it look more complete.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I think the trim work should just be a reflection of the style of the home…

Contemporary–minimalist
    Vicky or Craftsman–more tradidional details

--Steve

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Definitely trim, I probably picked that up from @58chev as I have my basement I’m about to trim out. Won’t be using quarter round but some new shoemoulding.

monman1
    Pro

I would take trim all the time, drywall just looks cheap!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

myself personally i love a lot of detailed trim.. it really makes a place pop plus i know where ill be working for a few weeks everyday because of how i typically trim solo

the drywall return thing drives me crazy because typically you build something square but with drywall returns into windows you almost have to put the corner bead at a position where the drywall returning to the window is at about 93 degrees so when the mud hits it it creates square.. at least its been my experience with the taper we use lately…. the guys work is awful

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

and yes to http://www.thisiscarpentry.com gary katz probably has the most thorough resources for that sourt of thing.. i refer to it regularly

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would take trim all the time, drywall just looks cheap!

It remimds me of my apartment days..both living in them and working for them. I can’t shake the memory of rebuilding the corners on window returns after some drunk college kid smashed it up.

I enjoy trim work. Its something I have a great respect for because I understand the work it takes to achieve perfect joints and make them stay that way over time. I’d take a nice craftsman over any modern style any day.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.747 seconds