dcsimg

Mobile Garage Shop

This topic contains 44 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  thedude306 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Author

here are the doors I put on my lower shelves to try and keep the boxes free of sparks and dirt

Looks really good Brad! You definitely have quite the man cave going on there!

John S

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Pretty organized, too, it looks like. Wish my shop looked like that.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice Brad – My garage is 17×19 and it is extremely tight with two cars plus some equipment. When we do have two cars in the garage we have one driven in and the other backed in so there’s only one side of the car to get in and out of. I’m looking forward to our next move – more space is definitely needed, I’d love to have a 3 car with one bay setup with my shop and everything on wheels for when I take over the rest of the space for a project.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

It’s a pain not to have a set up shop. Having to pull stuff out and set stuff up is ok for the weekend warrior but sucks for production or when you are trying to get paid.

Neat ideas on all the castors.

I agree, if you are working on production to get paid, it would get old quick trying to move things around all the time. There is never enough space, if there is more room, you add more tools, or start to work on more projects.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

On our current house build, I am having the woodworking shop in the parking garage and then having a separate shop for my metal working. the garage/woodworking shop is going to be 28×36 and the metal shop will two 18×36 bays.

I will be luck because I will hopefully be able to park in the metal shop when I have a big project in the woodworking shop.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is a great idea to separate the wood and metal shops.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

As a metal working guy, I never realized what a mess woodworking makes. Dust everywhere! I am trying to remedy that as soon as those new bosch vacs show up. The good old rigid just wasn’t up to the task. I am also going to go with a full on dust collector but the portable is important as well.

Brad T

On our current house build, I am having the woodworking shop in the parking garage and then having a separate shop for my metal working. the garage/woodworking shop is going to be 28×36 and the metal shop will two 18×36 bays.

I will be luck because I will hopefully be able to park in the metal shop when I have a big project in the woodworking shop.

Have you started a pro project topic on any of these yet? I’d love to hear more on them… especially with how you designed both of those shops… Curious as to all the various decisions you have made – size, layout, how you will control temp, etc etc etc…

John S

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I haven’t yet, I guess I should. It’s not built yet but it has gone to the designer to get the plans finalized

Brad T

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

As a metal working guy, I never realized what a mess woodworking makes. Dust everywhere! I am trying to remedy that as soon as those new bosch vacs show up. The good old rigid just wasn’t up to the task. I am also going to go with a full on dust collector but the portable is important as well.

Tell me about the mess woodworking makes. I do my woodworking outside for just that reason. Got rid of my stationary wood stuff and replaced it with bench top models. I will build a workbench outside to use them on.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I remember this article in one of FWW’s Tools & Shops issues. I like the idea of having things on casters and specific work centers. It is a bummer to have to pull things in and out all the time and unfortunately, that is my life right now — I spend time pulling things out to use them and then putting them back, which cuts into actual working time. I dream of a day when I can have a permanent shop and leave all the tools permanently set-up. For now I have to make do with what I have and it does work.

Orange County, CA

It is a bummer to have to pull things in and out all the time and unfortunately, that is my life right now —

I do agree that it slows me down a little, BUT I am really spending all this time thinking in advance through how I want everything arranged and organized such that if I DO need to find something, I can find it super fast. But I have definitely encountered (several times in past 2 weeks in fact) the “oh yeah, THIS tool totally works right now for what I need… now, where in the world did I put it?!!?” haha

John S

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I will build a workbench outside to use them on.

Now there is an idea for the summer.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Anybody ever been involved with 5S and doing spaghetti diagrams??

It’s an interesting task to follow your steps for a day and see how many times you go looking for a broom, or use a tool that’s not convenient to get to. Efficiency is the name of the game. Work smarter, not harder.

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Never heard of it.

Now there is an idea for the summer.

We may have to wait a long long time this year!

I do agree that it slows me down a little, BUT I am really spending all this time thinking in advance through how I want everything arranged and organized such that if I DO need to find something, I can find it super fast.

I will predict you will find yourself changing things no matter how hard and long you think it through. It’s inevitable.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Scot wrote:
    It is a bummer to have to pull things in and out all the time and unfortunately, that is my life right now —
    I do agree that it slows me down a little, BUT I am really spending all this time thinking in advance through how I want everything arranged and organized such that if I DO need to find something, I can find it super fast. But I have definitely encountered (several times in past 2 weeks in fact) the “oh yeah, THIS tool totally works right now for what I need… now, where in the world did I put it?!!?” haha

I’m in the same boat, everything has to tuck away right now to make room for the cars, at least in the winter time on days like today when it’s in the -20’s (C).It makes organization all that much more important. It was a big part of the track saw appeal for me too, it’s so quick to setup and get going.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

sorry for the hijack 🙂

Here is a simple diagram to show how moving your garage door opener from the man door to between the doors. It’s cold here so I need to open and close the door every trip out. The spaghetti diagram just illustrates for much walking you can do to get a part/item. It shows that I should move the opener, put a second opener in, or maybe have a man door to the outside.

you can replace the door opener for any object in any task that you are doing. Right down to your tool drawer layout. It’s an intensive exercise but can make you VERY efficient if done correctly.

Attachments:

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is pretty cool, but if I understand it correctly, why not just use a remote?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

see, that’s exactly what it does! brings resolution to problems. A remote. Easy peasy.

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.538 seconds