dcsimg

Miwaukee m18 Rocket light gen 1 and 2 comparison and review

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I think we all remember the first work lights we got with our 4 piece cordless kits that technically made it a 5 piece kit. Most of the time they didnt put out much light. At best they were used for looking in your truck bed at night for a tool and not much more. LED and battery technology has come a long way and some of the tool companies have used this to there advantage. No one more so than milwaukee. Their cordless light line up is very impressive. One of their best light is the rocket light that has been out for a few years now.

There is a older generation 1 and newer generation 2 version out. Both rocket lights are a collapsable tripod stand light that that is able to expand to 7′ tall with a light head at the top that will pivot in any direction. Both are powered by any m18 battery which are put in the base of the light. 80% of both lights share the same parts like the legs and telescoping poles. The two biggest differences are the bases and the heads. The base on the gen 2 is a little bit bulkier but its for a good reason it has the ability to be plugged in to an extension cord. While its plugged in it will also charge the battery if there is one in it. The gen 1 head is one single hexagon that has multiple leds in it. It is one directional and has 2000 lumens. The gen 2 is head is a bit more interesting. The whole head pivots and rotates just like the other one but on it it has 3 separate moving light bars that together make up 3000 lumens. The nice thing about this is that instead of one area it can light up multiple. The top handle is where the power button on both lights are located. On the gen 1 its one single button that turns it on to high then you push it a few more times to cycle to medium low and off. The handle on the gen 2 has a bit more. It has a button in the center with a solid push in push out style button that has a solid click when its pushed. Next to that there are two buttons, a plus and a minus to set the light on high medium and low. On the gen 2 if the button is pushed on you can take away power and give it power again and it will come back on when that happens and it will also stay on the setting that it was on. The gen1 when it dies or the battery is pulled you have to push the button to turn it on and cycle to the setting you were on upon inserting a new battery.

These lights both work very well and are super bright. They are super easy to set up and break down and you can literally do it in under 10 seconds. They are crazy bright even the first gen 2000 lumen I have used on projects at night and it was like working under the sun. The design of the stand making the light above you cast less shadows and lights up more area. Its great not having to look for something to put a light on like other flood lights, its all self contained. Now for the run time. Obviously the less lumen light will last longer but with both lights a 9.0ah battery is the best fit. On high the gen 1 will last just under 8 hours with a 9.0 and the gen 2 will last about 5 hours on high with a 9.0. Both lights will start flashing when the battery is getting low. One more thing that the gen 2 has is a nylon bag that the light fits in snuggly when folded up. It has a pocket at the top and a couple handles. I havnt used it at all. Its a little hard to get it in and out of the bag and the light is plenty heavy duty enough. The only thing the bag protects it from is dust and scratches.

Which one should you get. The gen 1 is awesome and will light up the area for most needs. If you dont have lots of batteries and want to plug the light in or are concerned about lighting a bigger are up the gen 2 might be the better choice. The gen 1 is about half the price so you pay for those extra features that the gen 2 has. Either way to do good work you need to be able to see what you are doing. These lights are able to deliver plenty of light to do exactly that, good work.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

great review austin and good that you compared gen 1 and gen 2 of the rocket light.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review as always. I’ve been looking into purchasing some of these lights so I appreciate the field proven review from a real tradesman. Lots of good information here thanks again, looking forward to seeing more reviews!

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Great review, you do a very thorough job with your reviews! I’m amazed by how far portable lighting has advanced the last couple of years.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

How much is this light? Im tempted.

I was thinking I should waiting until my last halogen burns out then update but….

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

How much is this light? Im tempted.

New about $399, CPO has them reconditioned fro $299

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.443 seconds