dcsimg

Miter saw blade for cutting laminate

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Have been installing laminate flooring in the home recently – went out to the shop to cut some trim on the miter saw for another project. Yikes – the blade is dull. burnt every piece of trim I tried to cut.

I don’t have time to have this blade sharpened, what is the recommendation for a blade to be used for cutting laminate flooring?

Is there a special blade for it that I have yet to discover, or is the best option to just buy a cheap blade and replace it when finished with the job?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Laminate is definitely hard on blades. I did a quick search on Amazon and found this DEWALT DWA31012PCD 12T PCD Tipped Laminate Cutting Blade, 10″ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSAWOWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.u3bAbQ86MH0Y. Might be worth it if you had a lot to cut.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont use a mitre saw to cut laminate. i use the jigsaw, reason being cost of blades… why wreck a $60 mitre saw blade for a floor when you can use a $3 jigsaw blade, laminate doesnt require finsh quality cuts because if installed correctly, those cut ends will be hidden by baseboard and tucked under door jambs

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I just use a blade for steel on my steel cutting saw.

MTRoads
    Pro

Laminate is definitely hard on blades. I did a quick search on Amazon and found this DEWALT DWA31012PCD 12T PCD Tipped Laminate Cutting Blade, 10″ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSAWOWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.u3bAbQ86MH0Y. Might be worth it if you had a lot to cut.

A bit more than I wanted to spend on a blade for this one project, but thanks much for the link!

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

i dont use a mitre saw to cut laminate. i use the jigsaw, reason being cost of blades… why wreck a $60 mitre saw blade for a floor when you can use a $3 jigsaw blade, laminate doesnt require finsh quality cuts because if installed correctly, those cut ends will be hidden by baseboard and tucked under door jambs

Excellent information. I already have plenty of blades, might need to replace my jigsaw though, think the one I have is on it’s last legs.

Stan

Doobie

I don’t have time to have this blade sharpened, what is the recommendation for a blade to be used for cutting laminate flooring?

IIRC aluminum blades have the proper teeth config to not dull on laminate like other blades do.

Have you considered a shearer?

http://www.bullettools.com/flooring/

I bought one to cut my Hardie siding for my shed and it worked great. No dust, little to no noise, blades last up to 10K cuts.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

IIRC aluminum blades have the proper teeth config to not dull on laminate like other blades do.

I bought one to cut my Hardie siding for my shed and it worked great. No dust, little to no noise, blades last up to 10K cuts.

`I have a bullet shear, bought it for a laminate job and ended up not using it a lot. I was a little disappointed in the way it cut, but maybe that was because the laminate we were cutting was too thick. I ended up doing most of my cutting on a tablesaw, as I needed to do a lot of notching out around doorways.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Throw a cheap bade on the miter saw… definitely not the best tool for the job anyway. You should be cutting laminate from the side as opposed to the top anyway.

A miter saw will approach the material from the top…which is the hardest part of the laminate. Regardless of the blade, it doesn’t stand much of a chance against laminate flooring…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Have you used a Tenryu Steel Pro blade???

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I also use the jig saw. I use a reverse cut blade .
    We have been using the vinyl planks lately and really like them a lot.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’m like it myself. Doing a big floor with the click vinyl now.

Throw a cheap bade on the miter saw…

This is what I do. Cut quality doesn’t really matter as they will be hidden anyways.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’m like it myself. Doing a big floor with the click vinyl now.

Throw a cheap bade on the miter saw…

This is what I do. Cut quality doesn’t really matter as they will be hidden anyways.

Another good point. The cuts shouldn’t be visible, so if they are ragged, it won’t matter.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

`I have a bullet shear, bought it for a laminate job and ended up not using it a lot. I was a little disappointed in the way it cut, but maybe that was because the laminate we were cutting was too thick. I ended up doing most of my cutting on a tablesaw, as I needed to do a lot of notching out around doorways.

I have seen cheaper brand shearers out there, but my Bullet Tools branded one is capable of doing up to an inch thick. I haven’t tried it on laminate yet though. It has been used to cut stacked shingles and for cement board. Gives a real nice clean cut. I swapped out the stock handle it came with for a longer one to make it even easier to press down for the cuts. One inch three foot long metal bar stock bought at HD did the trick.

For notching I would simply use a jigsaw. Haven’t done any laminates in quite a few years though.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Freud Diablo blades have a Pergo blade that is available at Home Depot. It is fairly pricey in my opinion. We have used a Fiber cement blade for cutting laminate flooring in the past. It works well and seems to have little if any effect on the cutting ability of the blade in fiber cement. Much less costly than the pergo blade also.

Doobie

Freud Diablo blades have a Pergo blade that is available at Home Depot. It is fairly pricey in my opinion. We have used a Fiber cement blade for cutting laminate flooring in the past. It works well and seems to have little if any effect on the cutting ability of the blade in fiber cement. Much less costly than the pergo blade also.

That’s good to know. I have a CMT fiber cement blade for my track saw so I’d be good to go next time I do laminate and need to do some rip cuts. Thanks Kurt!

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rather than replace the jigsaw at this point (would rather save up and get the Bosch at a later date), I’ve decided to pick up a cheaper 12″ blade for the miter saw and have at it.

If I were doing more flooring jobs (that ain’t gonna happen with my knees), I would consider the shearer.

Stan

Doobie

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rather than replace the jigsaw at this point (would rather save up and get the Bosch at a later date), I’ve decided to pick up a cheaper 12″ blade for the miter saw and have at it.

If I were doing more flooring jobs (that ain’t gonna happen with my knees), I would consider the shearer.

Fair enough. Those shearers do a host of materials as ypu’ve probably discerned by now. I’m considering getting a second one. One of Bullet Tools Magnum models, but needs and wants are in play here. A good shearer is a great tool imo.

Doobie

`I have a bullet shear, bought it for a laminate job and ended up not using it a lot. I was a little disappointed in the way it cut, but maybe that was because the laminate we were cutting was too thick

I missed earlier reading it was a Bullet Shearer you had. Was it ‘engineered’ hardwood you were trying to use it on? They do say it won’t cut that stuff nor will any of their units cut real wood planks.

MTRoads
    Pro

Fair enough. Those shearers do a host of materials as ypu’ve probably discerned by now. I’m considering getting a second one. One of Bullet Tools Magnum models, but needs and wants are in play here. A good shearer is a great tool imo.

Yes, understand there are a lot of uses for one. At this point though, any additional tool purchases are pretty much on hold until a new shop.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.310 seconds