dcsimg

Milwaukee PACKOUT Tool Storage Boxes

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Miamicuse 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am surprised that there isn’t an existing thread on these Packout boxes in this subforum, I have seen it being discussed here and there in other threads.

I recently purchased an M18 combo tool kit that came with a medium size Packout box, and while I have already bought into another tool storage system and won’t be switching over, I do want to make a few observation on the Packout.

First of all, it’s a big box. My TSTAK boxes are 16-3/4″ wide, and the Packout is 22″ wide. The deepest rolling toolbox, when fully loaded with tools and stuff, will be so heavy that you will need both hands to take it in and out of a van or truck.

It’s rugged, it’s IP65 rated, so it can be used outdoors and withstand the rain and the snow. It can also survive if left out on an exposed truck bed.

It has all sorts of handles. Top handle, two side handles, front (suitcase) handle, and four metal profiles, one at each corner. The numerous handles allow you to transport the box different ways depending on what you have loaded inside which is important. At first I thought the four metal corners are meant to be cool looking impact bumpers that takes up extra space, but came to appreciate them because you now have an extra handle at each corner. While you may not use them as handles while carrying these boxes, you definitely will use them when you move, adjust and shift these boxes into their final positions in your truck, van or workshop. They can also be looped through to secure these boxes with ropes or bungie cords during transport.

One other thing I like is these boxes stack from the front without any side latches. Many of the existing boxes from other vendors use two side clasps or latches to lock the top box to the bottom lid. This means if you have several stacks of boxes side by side in your van or shop, in order to remove a box in the middle stack, you have no access to the side latches because they are sandwiched between the stacks to the immediate left and right. You have to slide the stack out to unlock them.

The Packout solves this problem by sliding the box in from the front.

First, let’s look at the lid of the box. The lid on top had a number of shallow recesses. These recesses can be handy to put some fasteners on top without them rolling off. But these recesses are where the bottom of the box will slide into.

Note that each of the recess on the lid has two “lips”. There are altogether twenty of these lips that retains the box on top. Here is a close up shot of one.

Now if you turn the box upside down and examine the bottom, there is a bump corresponding to each of the recess, and these bumps slide into the recesses on the lid.

Once the box on the top slides all the way in and everything locks agsinst each other, there is a tab in the front that comes down and locks things down. To lift that tab, reach into the hole behind the front handle and push up then slide the box out.

Overall some very neat features and a well thought out design. This is a very sturdy box.

I am staying with TSTAK because of their ball bearing drawers. The Packout doesn’t have drawers, and my guess is drawers can’t be made IP65 compliant, and that’s why.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thanks for starting this thread.
    First off I regret not buying the set just before Christmas. They had them on sale for 199 , I definitely won’t pay full price for this

Great point about the handles. I have run into this problem before trying to pull out boxes from the back of the SUV

My only concern is that those holes or slots on the top of the pack out can be problematic for dirt or smaller objects getting jammed up and preventing them from locking pull it off clean it out and so on
    Not a big deal just a pain ?
    But that’s what the blower or vacuum is for 🤭🤫

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am surprised that there isn’t an existing thread on these Packout boxes in this subforum, I have seen it being discussed here and there in other threads.

Maybe because it’s a Bosch Tools forum? LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

First off I regret not buying the set just before Christmas. They had them on sale for 199 , I definitely won’t pay full price for this

Great point about the handles. I have run into this problem before trying to pull out boxes from the back of the SUV

My only concern is that those holes or slots on the top of the pack out can be problematic for dirt or smaller objects getting jammed up and preventing them from locking pull it off clean it out and so on

You have a good point. Those shallow recess can hold water, or debris, and it may interfere with the locking. They put ten if those on the lid because some of the Milwaukee half size small boxes or totes only lock onto one side.

The more likely scenario is for you to put the box on the ground, then the bumps may pick up dirt between the lips, when it rains the dirt may cake on the bumps and you jamb them into the top lid. Could be an issue, I wouldn’t want to have to turn that loaded box upside down to rinse it.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Maybe because it’s a Bosch Tools forum? LOL

Plenty of discussions on Dewalt TSTAK, toughboxes and Systainer boxes though.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

You have a good point. Those shallow recess can hold water, or debris, and it may interfere with the locking. They put ten if those on the lid because some of the Milwaukee half size small boxes or totes only lock onto one side.

The more likely scenario is for you to put the box on the ground, then the bumps may pick up dirt between the lips, when it rains the dirt may cake on the bumps and you jamb them into the top lid. Could be an issue, I wouldn’t want to have to turn that loaded box upside down to rinse it.

Yeah that’s what I am worried about , plenty of time they will be sitting on gravel ranging in size from stone dust to ,0-3/4 and sand. Plus what ever else wood/plastic and so on

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

This guy is upset with Milwaukee

Serious Problem With The Milwaukee Packout Storage System

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I saw that. He is very dramatic LOL.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Altho I don’t care for the guy, he seems to be a sales person for the HomeDepot store. He has a good point and that’s one reason I use the DeWalt boXXes.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I saw that. He is very dramatic LOL.

He sure was, LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Altho I don’t care for the guy, he seems to be a sales person for the HomeDepot store. He has a good point and that’s one reason I use the DeWalt boXXes.

Yes those DeWalt boxes look very nice. And even cheaper in price , hey do we have a thread anywhere on BTP for the DeWalt boxes 🤭🤫

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I do agree the Milwaukee boxes are overpriced.

and they are just too big for my use. I do like the fact that they have “half” width totes and small boxes for stacking.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes those DeWalt boxes look very nice. And even cheaper in price , hey do we have a thread anywhere on BTP for the DeWalt boxes 🤭🤫

I think we have a thread on DeWaly tools,,?,,, I’ve been using a lot of them lately and the DeWaly does rock!!! That big battery saw is a beast!!!!

Dirty

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I think we have a thread on DeWaly tools,,?,,, I’ve been using a lot of them lately and the DeWaly does rock!!! That big battery saw is a beast!!!!

You have that cordless circular saw ?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

No I don’t have it but the guy I work with does have it and it’s very impressive!

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Oh man that’s nice Dirty. Nice to hear cordless saws are getting more powerful.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

No I don’t have it but the guy I work with does have it and it’s very impressive!

Thanks , have you tried the DeWalt track saw?

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

and how does it compares to the Makita tracksaw?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.493 seconds