dcsimg

Milwaukee M12 Fuel

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • Author
    JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I am in the market for a new cordless drill and have not seen much of a price difference between the 18V L-Ion and the M12 (both are out of my price range). I am interested in what would determine choosing one over the other (I am saving up).

Is there a less expensive, yet quality (relatively speaking) alternative?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Milwaukee M12 I believe has 2 different levels M12 and the M12 Fuel. The Fuel is their higher performance product line designed with the Pro in mind and it costs more. In the Milwaukee 18V line there are 3 levels with the highest again the Fuel. That being said lets look at the regualr 12V vs the regular 18V. If all you will have is one tool the get the most power you can afford so as to be able to do pretty much everything with that one tool from driving screws in 2X4s to putting lags in concrete. You may not need all the power everyday but when you need it you’ll have it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I am in the market for a new cordless drill and have not seen much of a price difference between the 18V L-Ion and the M12 (both are out of my price range). I am interested in what would determine choosing one over the other (I am saving up).

Have you tried looking for used tools? I’ve seen some good deals on Craigslist for slightly used or even new stuff. Much cheaper than retail.

Also, there are times of the year which retailers have good sales and usually throw in freebies like batteries. You could sell off the extra batteries you don’t need and recoup some of the expense.

Have you tried looking for used tools? I’ve seen some good deals on Craigslist for slightly used or even new stuff. Much cheaper than retail.

Also, there are times of the year which retailers have good sales and usually throw in freebies like batteries. You could sell off the extra batteries you don’t need and recoup some of the expense.

Expect for garage sales and people I know, I cant bring myself to do it – so many tools get stolen that I end up assuming everything for sale is. And I dont want to support theft. If the market dried up, there would be less theft

Of course, I have no problem selling the big beasts (like my old TS – went yesterday) on CL. But that isnt the type of thing that walks away on its own

Expect for garage sales and people I know, I cant bring myself to do it – so many tools get stolen that I end up assuming everything for sale is. And I dont want to support theft. If the market dried up, there would be less theft

Of course, I have no problem selling the big beasts (like my old TS – went yesterday) on CL. But that isnt the type of thing that walks away on its own

Good point. Never thought about that. I know when I was selling my Makita hammer drill, the guy said his was stolen from his storage locker. I’ve bought new tools from eBay. Now you got me wondering if any of those are questionable.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

If the seller has many for sale I would imagine it’s more legit than if he had one. Harder to hijack a tool truck than steal one.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

They all seem to be north of $200 up here in the Great White North. I am having a hard time justifying that to the little lady of the house. I am contemplating a Mastercraft, which is the Canadian Tire store brand (made by one of the big companies and re-branded).

They all seem to be north of $200 up here in the Great White North. I am having a hard time justifying that to the little lady of the house. I am contemplating a Mastercraft, which is the Canadian Tire store brand (made by one of the big companies and re-branded).

Don’t do it! Buy better stuff and only buy it once

The best brands are not required, but good quality is worth the premium over mastercraft/skil(except Skilsaw)/Black&Decker

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Wait a while if you aren’t in a hurry. Right now is in between promotions, so hopefully there will be some decent price when black friday/Christmas/Boxing day rolls around.

The best brands are not required, but good quality is worth the premium over mastercraft/skil(except Skilsaw)/Black&Decker

I totally agree with this. Also, my thinking is a tool can save you money. I’m not in a trade so my tools don’t make me money but if I buy a tool instead of hiring someone to do the work, I’m saving money and I have a tool which can do the work again and again.

Another consideration is time. To me time is money. If the tool will save me time, I can do other things in the same time span.

Just some other considerations to think about.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, my 14.4V is still moving screws and I have the old corded one as a back up. So I am adopting and “wait and see” attitude right now. I don’t work in the trades so there is not much motivating me to buy one right away……except for that mysterious puff of blue smoke that came out of it one day.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I have been wanting to add to my 12v red stuff, but so far just the glue gun and the hackzall.

I have been wanting to add to my 12v red stuff, but so far just the glue gun and the hackzall.

Milwaukee makes a M12 glue gun? Is that the caulking gun?

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

They make 3 I think. I have the quart gun for subfloor adhesive, they make the smaller caulk gun and also the sausage gun I think. I was skeptical about how well it would work, but it works really well and the battery lasts for quite a while.

They make 3 I think. I have the quart gun for subfloor adhesive, they make the smaller caulk gun and also the sausage gun I think. I was skeptical about how well it would work, but it works really well and the battery lasts for quite a while.

Awesome Warren. I’ve seen the caulk gun before but not the rest. Thanks.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I second this, buy once, cry once. otherwise cry all the time.

lol some mastercraft stuff is good for non precision work. like if you were to use a drill to drill a hole you don’t care what size it’ll eventually turn out to be.
    I don’t mind their socket sets, those seem to be okay unless you need the sockets to go back in the box, at that point good luck.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

lol some mastercraft stuff is good for non precision work. like if you were to use a drill to drill a hole you don’t care what size it’ll eventually turn out to be.
    I don’t mind their socket sets, those seem to be okay unless you need the sockets to go back in the box, at that point good luck.

I have a few of their older model screwdrivers and they have the most comfortable handle I have ever used, including Snap-On. I am not so sure about their power tools. They are mostly rebranded from the “big name” manufacturers (like their filter, they are made by Fram). It has been about 10 years now, but the maintenance mechanics at the factory really liked the Maximum line of battery tools at the time. Still, I must admit, I am leery of them. I am watching the sales but I think it may become a Christmas present.

The one I have now is a Rona brand 14.4V that I got by my wife buying a $5 raffle ticket….it doesn’t owe me anything after 3 or 4 years and thousands of holes and screws. I like the lightness of the new L-ion ones, just not the price, even on sale….lol. I keep looking at the Milwaulkie’s.

On another note, DeWalt is moving more manufacturing from overseas to (assembled in) America. I think that is a good sign. Buying domestic products does enter into the equation a little. Given the choice, and most things being equal, I look for the place of origin……I hope other manufacturers take note.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I have a few of their older model screwdrivers and they have the most comfortable handle I have ever used, including Snap-On. I am not so sure about their power tools. They are mostly rebranded from the “big name” manufacturers (like their filter, they are made by Fram). It has been about 10 years now, but the maintenance mechanics at the factory really liked the Maximum line of battery tools at the time. Still, I must admit, I am leery of them. I am watching the sales but I think it may become a Christmas present.

The one I have now is a Rona brand 14.4V that I got by my wife buying a $5 raffle ticket….it doesn’t owe me anything after 3 or 4 years and thousands of holes and screws. I like the lightness of the new L-ion ones, just not the price, even on sale….lol. I keep looking at the Milwaulkie’s.

On another note, DeWalt is moving more manufacturing from overseas to (assembled in) America. I think that is a good sign. Buying domestic products does enter into the equation a little. Given the choice, and most things being equal, I look for the place of origin……I hope other manufacturers take note.

I have watched the steady, unrelenting degradation of quality of the Mastercraft line. It’s not nearly as good as it was. None of their products is. I was shopping for Forstner bits recently and recalled how pleased I was with the Mastercraft set I had years ago. NOT the same product now at all — not worth bringing home.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

The Milwaukee 12v stuff is solid. Some of their specs are close to other brands 18v specs. It’s definitely worth the money and can take a beating.

That being said, if you’re on this forum and not in a rush, save up for some of the Bosch stuff. They’re really reliable.

Resident Sign Guy

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Milwaukee 12v stuff is solid. Some of their specs are close to other brands 18v specs. It’s definitely worth the money and can take a beating.

Someone with some actual experience, talking some sense.

Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita or Bosch are all contractor-grade, and you really can’t go wrong with any of them.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.394 seconds