dcsimg

Milwaukee M12 Fuel

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • Author

Yup, every week. Took some pics.

Thanks for posting the pics, MR! Would like to hear a little more about your mower, if you get the chance.

It’s a 20″, 10 blade, McLane reel mower. A lot of people in Hawaii have Zoysia grass and it is recommended to use a reel mower. Grass is so tough if overgrown that it actually stops the blades.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks for posting the pics, MR! Would like to hear a little more about your mower, if you get the chance.

It’s a 20″, 10 blade, McLane reel mower. A lot of people in Hawaii have Zoysia grass and it is recommended to use a reel mower. Grass is so tough if overgrown that it actually stops the blades.

Just googled it, quite impressive how dense they can grow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoysia#/media/File:Zoysia_grass_in_San_Diego_California_02-2005.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the response, MR! I don’t believe I’ve ever seen such a mower, nor heard of that grass. Interesting.

Just googled it, quite impressive how dense they can grow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoysia#/media/File:Zoysia_grass_in_San_Diego_California_02-2005.jpg

I have a hybrid so the blades are a little wider and supposed to be easier to cut. I’ve seen some Zoysia which clump when grown too thick. I try to keep my grass at a 1/2″ thickness which means cutting every weekend during the summer.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Cutting every week is what I do too in summer, it’s not good for the grass to cut too much off at once anyway.

But I can imagine how those big clump of grass would stop a regular mower dead in its track.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Cutting every week is what I do too in summer, it’s not good for the grass to cut too much off at once anyway.

But I can imagine how those big clump of grass would stop a regular mower dead in its track.

I fear my backyard because it needs to be mowed every week and i’ve not had the time to do it for a few weeks. I’ve been working since July 1st, its raining today but i’ll be back there tomorrow lol.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Okay I think I found it. Fine woodworking used 4 AH battery with Milwaukee fuel impact driver so that’s why the numbers were so high. The fuel impact with 4AH battery probably drove 2.5~3x more screws than it could otherwise with a 2AH battery.

Gee do you think using a 4Ah on the Milwaukee vs a 2Ah battery on the Bosch could have something to do with the test?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Not sure what is going on, this is my 3rd time trying to submit this post, two previous attempts all disappeared.

Okay I think I found it. Fine woodworking used 4 AH battery with Milwaukee fuel impact driver so that’s why the numbers were so high. The fuel impact with 4AH battery probably drove 2.5~3x more screws than it could otherwise with a 2AH battery.

Now the numbers make sense.

I see in a footnote that the fat pack was used in the Fuel for the 3/4″ drill test but that is the only mention of it.
    In the summary they refer to performance numbers “even using the smaller 2 Ah battery”.

The Fuel and the Bosch were the only ones with a 2 Ah battery, The others ranged from 1.1 (DeWalt) to 1.5 (M12). Even with the smaller batteries, these tools were close to the Bosch performance.

I have had the PS22 for only a sort time, but I’m very impressed with it’s handling and power. I only brought up this test to illustrate the power advantage of brushless technology and to encourage others to look at the 12v brushless line as a lightweight, durable, reliable option.

Brushless motors have been used for more than 20 years in motion and control devices for automation systems and for complex tightening strategies for threaded fasteners. It’s good to see this advanced technology available to trades and serious amateurs at an affordable price.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Are there any Bosch 12V brushless tools available in NA?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

And, there you go. I’ve had my brushless 12v stuff for going on 2 years – 1/2″ drill, impact, screwdriver and one-handed reciprocating saw. That’s 2 years that I would have had to use something lesser on the job daily, were I stuck on (obsessed with) one particular brand.

PS 22 and PS 32 are the two that I know about. Not sure if there’s more.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

There are 18v drill/drivers, impact drivers and hammer drill/ drivers as well

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I fear my backyard because it needs to be mowed every week and i’ve not had the time to do it for a few weeks. I’ve been working since July 1st, its raining today but i’ll be back there tomorrow lol.

If you bag the grass it’s probably fine, the last few weeks was pretty hot and grass didn’t grow much. I always mulch though so cutting too much off just make a big sloppy mess.

I see in a footnote that the fat pack was used in the Fuel for the 3/4″ drill test but that is the only mention of it.
    In the summary they refer to performance numbers “even using the smaller 2 Ah battery”.

The Fuel and the Bosch were the only ones with a 2 Ah battery, The others ranged from 1.1 (DeWalt) to 1.5 (M12). Even with the smaller batteries, these tools were close to the Bosch performance.

I have had the PS22 for only a sort time, but I’m very impressed with it’s handling and power. I only brought up this test to illustrate the power advantage of brushless technology and to encourage others to look at the 12v brushless line as a lightweight, durable, reliable option.

Brushless motors have been used for more than 20 years in motion and control devices for automation systems and for complex tightening strategies for threaded fasteners. It’s good to see this advanced technology available to trades and serious amateurs at an affordable price.

I don’t see it on the online version, the printed version is probably different. There is only one test they showed the result using 2.0 battery, the 3/4″ hole. Fuel drilled 20 while Bosch 13. 50% more from brushless is what it should be, not 300%~400% more they showed on other numbers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not disputing brushless is a great improvement and offer better performance, I’d love to switch all my tools to brushless if I had the extra cash. But I just don’t like how Fine Woodworking sneaked in a fatpack even though they have a standard 2.0 in the kit, yet not clearly stating it so the result heavily skewed in Milwaukee/Brushless’s favor.

@jzmtl

I’m pretty sure that some people will call sneaking a fatpack into a review “disruptive innovation.” Milwaukee has been cranking up their advertisement machine and I haven’t seen a direct one to one comparison with their stuff versus any of the Bosch brushless line, let alone Dewalt or some of Makita’s brushless stuff.

The IDH182 went up against a M18 Fuel Impact with a 2ah pack while the fuel got a 4ah pack on one of those talking head channels. The guy said he’d go back with a 4ah pack on the Bosch but never did. Needless to say the test clearly favored the Milwaukee in everything but the ability to accept sockets. Just like most of the Bosch brushless stuff doesn’t get directly compared to most of the Milwaukee stuff. I think the same could be repeated for the other brands in some of those online videos “comparing” tools.

But those are just my observations. Something just seems off and I know Milwaukee really cranks up their marketing.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I remember that one, people immediately called him out in comments and he started making up excuses.

I didn’t want to go that far with the magazine since I’m not familiar with them nor know if this is their usual practice. But I guess we’ll have to remember there is no unbiased reviews from professional reviewers, like the JD power car/truck of the year is really just who-gave-most-money-to-us of the year.

There’s another example where the M12 Fuel Circ Saw gets compared against the 12V trim saws (The Makita and Bosch NAINA one which I own) where it has a fatpack while trim saws don’t. Then the Milwaukee rep at the press event makes a point that the trim saws “cannot cut dimensional lumber.” Then the obvious “shove the trim saw in as hard as you can until it stalls to make a point about power.”

If I wanted to cut dimensional lumber without tracks all day long, I’d look at the M12 circ if I wanted something that occupied the niche of “large 12V saw that’s smaller than 18V/36V counterparts but could handle a single 2x…” But that was pretty low on their part to compare “nonexistent” competition since their circ saw sits within a very specific niche.

But within the realm of deceptive marketing, I guess this is a bit “better” than Dewalt trying to make the axial glide miter saw look bad by moving it about unmounted and implying that the axial glide system is loose. That was so blatantly obvious that it had comments below calling Dewalt on that low move.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

That was a bone headed move by Dewalt, given the non-professional voice over though I’d like to think it’s made by some lower level employees on their own initiative instead of how their advertising works.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well i just ordered the ps 32 so i’ll let you know what I think of it when I get it in my hands. I only have the 2a 12v batteries. Perhaps I should order a 4a 12 volt to try it out.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good to know at least one of my 12V tools is brushless. I have the PS22.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@jzmtl

I’m pretty sure that some people will call sneaking a fatpack into a review “disruptive innovation.” Milwaukee has been cranking up their advertisement machine and I haven’t seen a direct one to one comparison with their stuff versus any of the Bosch brushless line, let alone Dewalt or some of Makita’s brushless stuff.

The IDH182 went up against a M18 Fuel Impact with a 2ah pack while the fuel got a 4ah pack on one of those talking head channels. The guy said he’d go back with a 4ah pack on the Bosch but never did. Needless to say the test clearly favored the Milwaukee in everything but the ability to accept sockets. Just like most of the Bosch brushless stuff doesn’t get directly compared to most of the Milwaukee stuff. I think the same could be repeated for the other brands in some of those online videos “comparing” tools.

But those are just my observations. Something just seems off and I know Milwaukee really cranks up their marketing.

“Creative reviewing”, like all deceptive advertising, will only weaken market position. Milwaukee is walking a fine line with this sort of publicity.

At one time, Milwaukee was regarded as an “elite” brand, somewhat like Snap-on, Hilti or Fein. Looks like the bean counters have taken over there, too.

EDIT: Milwaukee is owned by Techtronic Industries based in Hong Kong. They also own Hoover US, AEG, Ryobi, Dirt Devil and Homelite.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 157 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.487 seconds