dcsimg

Milwaukee FUEL impact driver is even smaller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I recently got an M18 FUEL combo kit that included an impact driver 2853-20.

A pleasant surprise is how short the driver is compared to a few others I have.

It’s a full inch shorter than the GEN5 Ridgid 18V driver, and a 1-3/4″ shorter than the Bosch Freak 18V IDH182.

Heightwise, it’s about the same as the others. The Ridgid is lower only because I have a slim 2ah battery on it, most times I don’t need 5 or 6ah on an impact.

Spec wise this red impact can do 2000IN#, same as the Ridgid, while the Freak is 1650IN#.

It’s so compact, that I was able to lay it down with the collet pointing UP and still be able to close the lid on my smallest TSTAK box!

I know the Makita impact is stubby too but don’t have one to do a side by side.

CB
    Spectator

According to the specs, there is less than a 1/10th of an inch in difference between the latest Milwaukee 2853 / 2857 (same as 2853 but with OneKey) and Makita’s latest XDT12 / XDT16 (2019 update, already being sold in Japan as the DTD171).

As I understand the development progression, it was Makita that came out with the shorter body length first, and Milwaukee’s effort was in response.

CB
    Spectator

A pleasant surprise is how short the driver is compared to a few others I have.

It’s a full inch shorter than the GEN5 Ridgid 18V driver, and a 1-3/4″ shorter than the Bosch Freak 18V IDH182.

Heightwise, it’s about the same as the others. The Ridgid is lower only because I have a slim 2ah battery on it, most times I don’t need 5 or 6ah on an impact.

Spec wise this red impact can do 2000IN#, same as the Ridgid, while the Freak is 1650IN#.

It’s so compact, that I was able to lay it down with the collet pointing UP and still be able to close the lid on my smallest TSTAK box!

I know the Makita impact is stubby too but don’t have one to do a side by side.

For a more dramatic photo, reverse the arrangement order of impact drivers, putting the Bosch nearest to the camera, positioning it at the bottom of the photo, then the Ridgid, then put the Milwaukee furtherst away from the camera, positioning it at the top of the photo.

Then, the photo might better illustrate the differences that these tools actually feel like in real life. 2D doesn’t do justice to 3D, and in 3D, that new Milwaukee is incredibly (and delightfully) small.

If you have time, try the reshoot, to see if it makes a difference visually in the photo.

Naomurn
    Pro

They do come in different sizes! I had the same issue with a model from Makita and one from Bosch and though that something is wrong with it, but it seemed to work just fine at the end!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that thing is small. I have seen some reviews stating it is compact but that is the first picture showing a comparison with other models from different tool companies. Really shows the difference.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Man that thing is small. I have seen some reviews stating it is compact but that is the first picture showing a comparison with other models from different tool companies. Really shows the difference.

Yeah it’s amazing how much smaller they have become through the years , the heads are so short , but definitely pack a good punch

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

the heads are so short , but definitely pack a good punch

Yeah makes my 18V impact driver look like an antique. LOL

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Naomurn
    Pro

There are many different opinions that I have to say are quite intriguing! It can become though really irritating to not get what you ordered and since I shop most of my tools online at the moment as it’s more convenient and the prices are highly discounted I usually use https://thetoolscout.com/best-impact-driver/ as they always give you a full comparison between the top 10 tools with prices and specs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.440 seconds