dcsimg

Milwaukee 7 1/4" fuel miter saw review

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  brianpeters 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Last summer Milwaukee announced their new cordless miter box and was released at the end of 2017. Milwaukee sent me this saw for review. A miter box is one of a trim carpenters most important tool but without it being accurate it might as well be a boat anchor. So out of the box it was very important to check the saw for accuracy. A few things about the saw were out like the 45 degree detents and the table wasn’t completely flat. Any good miter saw will have adjustments for these things to get right and after changing these settings with a good strait edge, square and dealer gauges the saw was dead on accurate and has stayed accurate after a couple months of going in and out of my van. Casing miters, crown, and other cuts all lined up with tight joints when the pieces were cut tightly against the fence and table.

Now that I can say you can get the cuts you want, what are its limitation? It is a 7 1/4″ saw so it won’t replace a bigger 10″ or 12″ saw if you need that kind of capacity. It will cross cut a 2×8 and cut 3 5/8″ crown nested and 3 1/2″ base board against the fence. With those max sizes it runs into it a little at angles so really its better for sizes just a bit smaller but capacity for these is much larger when cutting them flat. The miter and bevel capacities both go to 48 degrees both ways. The dual bevel is awesome because most other 7 1/4″ saws are single bevel. This makes less thinking and quicker cuts. All the stops are solid, no slop in the detents with lead to more accurate cuts. Other features on the saw such as the dual led lights make it really bright to be able to see exactly what you are cutting and the best part is that it creates a shadow line to see EXACTLY where the cut will be. The dust bag is well thought out and placed. The dust collection is pretty decent which is inherent of a smaller blade saw. When using a vacuum its even better not perfect though. The port has 2 different sizes so multiple hoses can be fitted to the saw. One feature that seems to be missing is a depth stop for dados and such.

Where this saw really shines is its portability. It weighs only 28 lbs with a battery which makes it easy to carry anywhere especially because it has 3 handles. I brought the saw up ladders on roofs and scaffolding. It speeds thing up when you can cut right where your work is instead of going back and forth or having another cut man on the ground. Being cordless adds to the portability and saftey of the saw. Some of the places the saw is able to be brought to cut there isn’t power or dragging up a 100′ extension cord isn’t ideal because it could be a tripping hazard in an already dangerous environment. Being powered by one 18v battery though there isn’t hardly any noticeable sacrifice in power. the saw cuts through everything I ask it to. I cut a 100 year old 2×4 white oak at a 45 degree angle and it cut through it just fine. It slowed down a little bit but did not struggle at all to cut it. Run time on a 5.0ah battery is fantastic. Me and my dad were both using the saw for trimming out windows and doors for a whole day with one bar left out of 4. This wasn’t production work but i would guess one person could use the saw all day on one battery or at least 2. Milwaukee says it will do 600 cuts per charge, 600 cuts of what? Probably standard casing is my guess.

Bottom line this is a solid little saw that i would recommend to anyone looking for a secondary saw for punch out or a great portable saw. Unless you can be for certain that the capacity of the saw would be enough for your needs I wouldn’t recommend it for your only saw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well I guess it was only time before the red company put theirs out. I have been using the orange one for over a year now. It looks like the same saw. I love the little Ridgid saw. It should be a good saw. The orange one had some problems but they have been worked out now.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Thanks for the review!
    Dual bevel is really cool. I have been using the DeWalt cordless miter and it’s held good calibration out of the box. The DeWalt has no dual bevel though and I think it also weighs more than the Milwaukee. Flexvolt or 5ah batteries and it’s never had anything it won’t cut either.

j

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Thanks for the review!
    Dual bevel is really cool. I have been using the DeWalt cordless miter and it’s held good calibration out of the box. The DeWalt has no dual bevel though and I think it also weighs more than the Milwaukee. Flexvolt or 5ah batteries and it’s never had anything it won’t cut either.

No problem,I have heard rumors that they are coming out with an updated version,maybe flexvolt. If it comes out I will try to get one to compare

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve been tempted to pick up one of these small cordless miter saws, I think for the work I do, (mostly window and door replacements), a small saw would be ideal.
    My problem is, Most of my cordless tools are Bosch…

Clev08
    Pro

Great review Austin! I wouldn’t mind if Milwaukee sent me some free tools lol. I have been really wanting this saw because of its portability, heck I even won Milwaukee’s new miter saw stand on instagram to pair it with.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I’ve been tempted to pick up one of these small cordless miter saws, I think for the work I do, (mostly window and door replacements), a small saw would be ideal.

Yeah you either have to comit to one platform or find an efficient was to use multiple platforms. Because if you don’t do it efficiently then it almost negates the point of having that tool cordless.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Yeah you either have to comit to one platform or find an efficient was to use multiple platforms. Because if you don’t do it efficiently then it almost negates the point of having that tool cordless.

Great review Austin, sounds like you are getting great use out of the saw,

I think that would be a great saw for you Brian, definitely would make it easier, no running around looking for plugs and extensions.
    I’ll say like you, just to bad Bosch doesn’t have one out already,
    hopefully you can hold out for a few more months, I think they are coming out with one.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

@boschmanbrian I can definitely hold out awhile yet. I’m also hoping they come out with a new circular saw soon, as the handle broke off of the guard on the one I have. I replaced the guard a couple of years ago, not sure I want to put any more money into this one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.353 seconds