dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 154 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  marioo 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 141 through 155 (of 155 total)
  • Author

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Ok, that’s very strange. Entered a post with 8 photos, then went to edit it to add one more photo and now the entire post is gone.
    Will have to do it when I get to the computer with the pictures and limit it to 8 photos. 🙁

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

Thought I would put a few pictures here of the steps I am using to make the leaves. (Someone might have a better idea.)

Start off with cutting the basic shape out of the tower computer case side. Then put it in the vise and bend it in half.

Then spread the sides apart again leaving a ‘trough’ for the stem to fit into. Set things up and tack weld the stem in place first – then wait for the piece to cool down. After it has lost the heat from the tacks, weld in the entire stem to the trough.

Once that is done I grind down the weld, and then spot weld any gaps. (There are gaps due to the fact I go as fast as I can when running the bead – anything slower and I end up burning through the sheet metal). Then grind it down again.

Then some beating on it with a ball peen hammer to give it some ‘figure’ and shape. The final picture show it before the veins are welded on – still some shaping and final work, but it has the basics done at that point. Can’t really see the shaping done so far as it was laying flat on the table.

And the last picture show about half of what I will be making for the deck gate (plus any other ideas the better half has).

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thought I would put a few pictures here of the steps I am using to make the leaves.

The leaves are really turning out nice. The gate will look great when done.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Thought I would put a few pictures here of the steps I am using to make the leaves.

The leaves are really turning out nice. The gate will look great when done.

Thanks much. Got most of this batch of flowers/leaves shaped and ready today – now I’m kind of having a block on how/where I want to put them on the gate.
    Gave up a bit ago – maybe I’ll get something stuck in my head for next weekend.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Got most of this batch of flowers/leaves shaped and ready today

Nice the project is moving along. Keep us posted.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Thought I was going to have time today to start putting more on the gate after shaping them, and then the ‘list’ caught up with me.

Attachments:

Stan

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Thought I was going to have time today to start putting more on the gate after shaping them, and then the ‘list’ caught up with me.

Those look fantastic
    You are really knocking this out of the park , great details.

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks for the comment Brian, the only two that have any hammer shaping at all done to them are the two on the top left.

And ‘the list’ definitely caught up to me, almost the entire weekend shot as far as getting any time to work on the gate. 🙁

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Finally have most of the flowers and leaves hammered into shape, hope to get them welded onto the gate this coming weekend.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Finally have most of the flowers and leaves hammered into shape, hope to get them welded onto the gate this coming weekend.

Nice to hear the project is still moving along.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Sounds great , it’s definitely tedious work , definitely not a five minute job
    Looking forward to seeing what you did.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Has “the list” been brought under control or will it be sidelined for the weekend? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looking forward seeing them when you have them welded on the gate.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro

Has “the list” been brought under control or will it be sidelined for the weekend? LOL

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.

The list is probably going to last me for months to come. :/
    The weekend plan does include the gate though.

Stan

marioo
    Pro

Thought I would put a few pictures here of the steps I am using to make the leaves. (Someone might have a better idea.)

Start off with cutting the basic shape out of the tower computer case side. Then put it in the vise and bend it in half.

Then spread the sides apart again leaving a ‘trough’ for the stem to fit into. Set things up and tack weld the stem in place first – then wait for the piece to cool down. After it has lost the heat from the tacks, weld in the entire stem to the trough.

Once that is done I grind down the weld, and then spot weld any gaps. (There are gaps due to the fact I go as fast as I can when running the bead – anything slower and I end up burning through the sheet metal). Then grind it down again.

Then some beating on it with a ball peen hammer to give it some ‘figure’ and shape. The final picture show it before the veins are welded on – still some shaping and final work, but it has the basics done at that point. Can’t really see the shaping done so far as it was laying flat on the table.

And the last picture show about half of what I will be making for the deck gate (plus any other ideas the better half has).

Great technique–I acttually have seen this done by a comrade before but haven’t done it myself. I’ve got some metal furniture design project coming up, I might make a few of this to add some softer aesthetic to the design. Thanks bud!

Viewing 15 posts - 141 through 155 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.509 seconds