dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 148 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Got a bit of time this weekend to do some more welding on the gate.
    Outline of the dragonfly is in it’s basic form, still another set of wings and more veining in the wings.
    Then figure out some more items to add along with the additional leaves.

I like the design so far. Looking forward to seeing what will evolve.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Looks good!

I guessing you are building this on the fly. Or are you using a plan?

The better half sent me a link to a picture of a gate that I started with – beyond that yes, building on the fly. Will be interesting to see what the final result is. πŸ™‚

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

I still have a lot of items to add (once I determine what else I want to include).

Maybe the additional pieces will act as braces.

That will remain to be seen, I am still working on what else will be added – but you are right, there might be enough structural bracing depending on just what ends up being added.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I am already thinking I might need to put some cross bracing of some sort to keep the smaller pieces from moving around too much with it being on a gate.

I was wondering if and when you would realize that. I think you should toss those leaves, or use them for an indoor artsy fartsy project. You should hunt down some heavier sheet steel and larger diameter rod. It would certainly make welding and fab easier and quicker and the end result would be better suited for your outdoor gate.
    JMO

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

You should hunt down some heavier sheet steel and larger diameter rod. It would certainly make welding and fab easier and quicker and the end result would be better suited for your outdoor gate.

This sounds like a good idea.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

I am already thinking I might need to put some cross bracing of some sort to keep the smaller pieces from moving around too much with it being on a gate.

I was wondering if and when you would realize that. I think you should toss those leaves, or use them for an indoor artsy fartsy project. You should hunt down some heavier sheet steel and larger diameter rod. It would certainly make welding and fab easier and quicker and the end result would be better suited for your outdoor gate.
    JMO

Definitely thanks for the feedback. As this is a learning project, all items about it are up for discussion and ‘change-ups’. πŸ™‚
    Just to clarify, this will not be a stand-alone gate, but rather an attachment to the existing wooden gate as shown below.

Attachments:

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Had some time to do a bit more work on the deck gate. Next step is figuring out what else to add other than leaves to the design.

Attachments:

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Had some time to do a bit more work on the deck gate. Next step is figuring out what else to add other than leaves to the design.

Looking pretty nice so far.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Looking pretty nice so far.

Thanks much @theamcguy,
    Doing some searching on making metal roses now. Found some good videos but the sizing on the ones I found are a bit large for this project.
    This weekend I hope to try making a smaller one and see how it goes.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looking good Stan!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro

After the better half seeing the plan for the roses I was planning on – she commented that it would possibly catch on grocery bags and other items being as this will all be going on the deck gate.

So, a switch of gears and I gave a ‘flatter’ flower a try today. Some changes in store for the next ones, but I now have something to work on for the gate additions.

Attachments:

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

So, a switch of gears and I gave a β€˜flatter’ flower a try today

Looks like a change for sure. Still looking pretty good though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Strep and Pneumonia kinda knocked me off-center for a while – hope to get back to the gate welding project this coming weekend. Still working on ideas to fill in more of the open areas, so far I have blanks cut out for another 6 flowers and will be making more leaves so that will fill in quite a bit.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Strep and Pneumonia kinda knocked me off-center for a while – hope to get back to the gate welding project this coming weekend. Still working on ideas to fill in more of the open areas, so far I have blanks cut out for another 6 flowers and will be making more leaves so that will fill in quite a bit.

That’s too bad you have been sick.

I am dealing with another cold myself.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

till working on ideas to fill in more of the open areas, so far I have blanks cut out for another 6 flowers and will be making more leaves so that will fill in quite a bit.

Nice to see you will be getting back to the gate soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Geeze man , hope you are getting some rest , lots of people have been pretty sick here also
    Take care of yourself ,
    Nice to see you getting back to the shop.

MTRoads
    Pro

Finally got a short amount of time in the shop today. Decided to take the time to make some templates for the smaller flowers to make cutting them out and forming a bit faster. Worked out fairly well as it cut down on the time quite a bit.
    Got 8 blanks cut out for the gate and then took the time to start forming one of them using the template previously made.

Attachments:

Stan

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Finally got a short amount of time in the shop today. Decided to take the time to make some templates for the smaller flowers to make cutting them out and forming a bit faster. Worked out fairly well as it cut down on the time quite a bit.
    Got 8 blanks cut out for the gate and then took the time to start forming one of them using the template previously made.

That’s a beautiful flower!
    I bet it took some time to get it into this stage.

MTRoads
    Pro

@sorpa, not really. That is just a matter of cutting out the basic shape, using the tin snips to cut the petals, some cleanup with a flap disk and bending the petals.
    Next comes the welding for veining and a center ‘bud’, then figure out where to put it on the deck gate. πŸ™‚

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Flower looks good Stan. Sounds like you have system in place.

Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.560 seconds