dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 154 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  marioo 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 155 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

@gtokley, I had a major meltdown (literally) when I tried welding the stem to the sheet metal leaf. The sheet metal would go from a bit red to a big hole in a split-second.
    With more practice I might be able to control the heat better so that the two pieces can be welded without blowing holes.
    One step at a time though – brazing is next.

That’s too bad. Your right one set at a time.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Brazing seems to be the answer for attaching the stem to the leaf. 🙂 Much better results IMO.

I switched from the bicycle spokes for the leaf, I picked up a bundle of ‘marking flags’ from Lowe’s. A bit smaller in diameter and just a mild steel from what I can tell.

Need to add a bit more brazing rod to fill in the ‘groove’ that the stem fits into, but overall I am pleased with the results.

Now on to the next learning objective. 🙂

Attachments:

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Brazing seems to be the answer for attaching the stem to the leaf. 🙂 Much better results IMO.

I switched from the bicycle spokes for the leaf, I picked up a bundle of ‘marking flags’ from Lowe’s. A bit smaller in diameter and just a mild steel from what I can tell.

Need to add a bit more brazing rod to fill in the ‘groove’ that the stem fits into, but overall I am pleased with the results.

Now on to the next learning objective. 🙂

That is good that brazing was better for welding the stem on to leaf. Looks pretty good.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks @gtokley – now that I have some of the welding/brazing learning out of the way it is time to work on the overall appearance of the leaves.
    Then on to the dragonfly design.

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Brazing seems to be the answer for attaching the stem to the leaf. Much better results IMO.

Congrats on your latest achievement. Brazing is such a versatile skill, so useful in decorative work and for repairs. The leaf to stem joint looks really good.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

MTRoads
    Pro

Finally got to the local metal warehouse today on the way home from work. I now have a 21 x 47″ piece of 10ga metal for a working top rather than using a wooden countertop that I had laying around.

Will make it nice to be able to ground to that rather than trying to clamp to the smaller pieces.

(One more addition to the metalworking ‘stuff’.)

Didn’t have a lot of time to look around at the metal warehouse as they were just about to close, but I have a feeling I will be making a few more stops there for various chunks of metal to use for projects.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Brazing seems to be the answer for attaching the stem to the leaf. Much better results IMO.

Congrats on your latest achievement. Brazing is such a versatile skill, so useful in decorative work and for repairs. The leaf to stem joint looks really good.

Thanks @smallerstick, learning one step at a time. The oxy/acetylene setup that I got from Lowe’s came with a #3 tip, which might be a bit large for this smaller stuff I am working with.
    I just ordered a #0 and #1 tip so I can try those out.

At this point I feel just about ready to start on the deck gate project, hope to pick up some of the frame tubing in the next few days to get going.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

The oxy/acetylene setup that I got from Lowe’s came with a #3 tip, which might be a bit large for this smaller stuff I am working with.

Is that a burning/cutting torch or welding torch ? They are different as are the tips

MTRoads
    Pro

The oxy/acetylene setup that I got from Lowe’s came with a #3 tip, which might be a bit large for this smaller stuff I am working with.

Is that a burning/cutting torch or welding torch ? They are different as are the tips

These are the tips for the welding torch. I still have not tried out the cutting torch yet, that’s in the near future. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Got some welding done on the frame today. Dimensions are 38-1/2 x 23. Home Depot only had 36″ lengths of 3/4″ tubing, so I bought four.

First thing I did was weld two of them together to make a couple pieces that were each 72″ long. Then cut the individual pieces to the needed lengths.

The left-over segments were welded to the open ends that would be exposed to close things up. So far, so good….

Attachments:

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Got the frame together and just had to weld in one of the leaves, just to see how it was going to work. Still figuring out the best method of attaching the thinner sheet metal and rod ‘stem’ to the 1/16″ tubing if anyone has suggestions.

Attachments:

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Did some more brazing today on another leaf, found that not clamping the leaf in the vise – but rather setting it on a couple ceramic tiles helped even the heat through the leaf quite a bit.
    Each leaf is getting a bit better. 🙂

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

After thinking about the design for the dragonfly, I decided to use some 16ga sheet metal for the body rather than a section of pipe.
    Got the outline cut out and started welding some beads to give ‘texture’ to the body. This is the basic shape – will be running more beads to build up the body a bit more.

Attachments:

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Still working on the brazing process for adding a ‘stem’ to the leaves, starting to think I need to find a different material for the stems. Right now I am using marking flags with the flag cut off, a pretty thin rod.
    The problem I am having is that the rod for the stem melts away at an even lower temperature than the brazing rod. On the hunt now for something else to use for the stems.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Got a bit of time this weekend to do some more welding on the gate.
    Outline of the dragonfly is in it’s basic form, still another set of wings and more veining in the wings.
    Then figure out some more items to add along with the additional leaves.

Attachments:

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Got a bit of time this weekend to do some more welding on the gate.

Wow that is really decorative. Nice work.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice work, everything is always a learning curve at first, I need to try and do more of this, but like everything else .. never enough time or money – keep it and keep posting pictures.

Will

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks for the comments, this is just the beginning. I still have a lot of items to add (once I determine what else I want to include).
    Kind of thinking about a few ‘smaller in scale’ butterflies.
    With what I have there now I am already thinking I might need to put some cross bracing of some sort to keep the smaller pieces from moving around too much with it being on a gate.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looks good!

I guessing you are building this on the fly. Or are you using a plan?

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I still have a lot of items to add (once I determine what else I want to include).

Maybe the additional pieces will act as braces.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 155 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.536 seconds