dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 148 total)
  • Author

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Central Pneumatic stuff from Harbor Freight for now. Should this become a more serious adventure and these items happen to wear out – then I’ll splurge for a higher quality item.
    But for now, the HF one went through that computer case side like nobody’s business.

There is nothing wrong doing it this way. Maybe this way you will find out tools you thought you needed you really didn’t need.

That’s kind of the way I was thinking. Between the nibbler, high-speed saw and a pneumatic shear – possibility exists that I will only really need one of them.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

16 ga nibbler, right-angle die grinder and a high-speed metal saw.

I tried that high speed saw… stalled out as soon as blade hit metal, returned it. Also tried the right angle die grinder… the lock nut that keeps the right angle head together keeps backing out. Took it apart, packed it with grease, put it back together and mashed the threads over so it can’t back out. I’ll use it til it dies and toss it.

@sprokitz, good info to know. I haven’t had a chance to try the high speed saw yet as I haven’t found any blades for it yet. Nothing in the manual to ‘splain what blades fit other than two HF part numbers – neither of which can be found on their website.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Central Pneumatic stuff from Harbor Freight for now. Should this become a more serious adventure and these items happen to wear out – then I’ll splurge for a higher quality item.
    But for now, the HF one went through that computer case side like nobody’s business.

There is nothing wrong doing it this way. Maybe this way you will find out tools you thought you needed you really didn’t need.

That’s kind of the way I was thinking. Between the nibbler, high-speed saw and a pneumatic shear – possibility exists that I will only really need one of them.

Then you can buy a better quality tool that you use the most. Nice to have HF to shop at.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I tried that high speed saw… stalled out as soon as blade hit metal, returned it. Also tried the right angle die grinder… the lock nut that keeps the right angle head together keeps backing out. Took it apart, packed it with grease, put it back together and mashed the threads over so it can’t back out. I’ll use it til it dies and toss it.

@sprokitz, good info to know. I haven’t had a chance to try the high speed saw yet as I haven’t found any blades for it yet. Nothing in the manual to ‘splain what blades fit other than two HF part numbers – neither of which can be found on their website.

You can grind down the tang on recip blades to fit…. that’s what I do. I bought the Ridgid saw, now discontinued, No problems…. cut exhaust pipe/clamps and even angle iron IR also makes blades to fit.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Central Pneumatic stuff from Harbor Freight for now.

Some of their stuff works good for me especially tools that I only use once in a while.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

You can grind down the tang on recip blades to fit…. that’s what I do. I bought the Ridgid saw, now discontinued, No problems…. cut exhaust pipe/clamps and even angle iron IR also makes blades to fit.

Ar you referring to grinding down the ‘thickness’ of the tang, or the profile? The blades I have won’t even begin to fit the slot due to the thickness.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Ar you referring to grinding down the ‘thickness’ of the tang, or the profile? The blades I have won’t even begin to fit the slot due to the thickness.

Both. HD also had some blades… hard to find tho. If they have them they would be around the air fittings.
    I would just return that HF saw…… did you read the reveiws ? Seems like the chance of getting a good one is 1 out of 3…. not good odds

MTRoads
    Pro

Both. HD also had some blades… hard to find tho. If they have them they would be around the air fittings.
    I would just return that HF saw…… did you read the reveiws ? Seems like the chance of getting a good one is 1 out of 3…. not good odds

Think I’ll figure out a way to get a blade in it just to try it out this weekend. Would like to at least try it before I give up on it. Thanks much for the info.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Think I’ll figure out a way to get a blade in it just to try it out this weekend. Would like to at least try it before I give up on it. Thanks much for the info.

You might be able to do a quick fit using a hacksaw blade to give it a try. Just cut it off short so it doesn’t whip around

MTRoads
    Pro

You might be able to do a quick fit using a hacksaw blade to give it a try. Just cut it off short so it doesn’t whip around

Turns out I had little shop time this weekend so I’ll give the hacksaw trick a try later this week or next weekend – I have plenty of hacksaw blades already. Thanks for that tip.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Got in some shop time this morning. First of all I tried the high speed metal saw and have to agree it was pretty much a waste of money. About 20 seconds worth of ‘cutting’ on 22ga sheetmetal – and I got all of 1/4″ cut. So that will be going back and I’ll pick up a pneumatic shear.

The nibbler on the other hand works like a champ. Not for real detail work, but a grinder takes care of trimming things up.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The nibbler on the other hand works like a champ. Not for real detail work, but a grinder takes care of trimming things up.

This is good to hear. Too bad about the high speed metal saw.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

MTRoads
    Pro

Started on the first test leaf for the deck gate project. Had to wait until I had a chance the pick up some 0.025 wire for the welder.
    The settings info inside the panel door on the Vulcan welder seemed a bit cold on the first track weld so I made a few adjustments.
    Learned a few more things working on this often so the next few leaves should look a bit better.

Stan

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Mississauga, Ontario

MTRoads

Hey Stan @mtroads, it’s looking good!
    How long have you been welding?
    What type of grinder discs are you using on it?
    So, all materials you’ve been using are 22ga?(leaves)

Please post your next results.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Started on the first test leaf for the deck gate project. Had to wait until I had a chance the pick up some 0.025 wire for the welder.
    The settings info inside the panel door on the Vulcan welder seemed a bit cold on the first track weld so I made a few adjustments.
    Learned a few more things working on this often so the next few leaves should look a bit better.

Wow that looks good. Very nice work Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

MTRoads

Hey Stan @mtroads, it’s looking good!
    How long have you been welding?
    What type of grinder discs are you using on it?
    So, all materials you’ve been using are 22ga?(leaves)

Please post your next results.

Thanks.
    I bought the welder something like 3 or 4 months ago, probably have a bit over 2 hours of actual welding time with it. (Lot of watching youtube videos and learning as I go).
    For the grinder I have a variety of grinding discs and flap discs of various grits.
    Yes, these are being made of 22ga metal, from some old tower computer case side I had laying around.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Wow that looks good. Very nice work Stan

Thanks much, hoping the next ones go a little smoother as I’m learning just how the metal reacts to the hammering. Think the welder is set up a bit better now also. Plan a making 10 to 12 leaves for the gate, then on to the flowers.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

First of all I tried the high speed metal saw and have to agree it was pretty much a waste of money. About 20 seconds worth of ‘cutting’ on 22ga sheetmetal – and I got all of 1/4″ cut. So that will be going back and I’ll pick up a pneumatic shear.

I got about 4″ out of the one I had and returned… but I fooled around with it for about a 1/2 hr.. If you don’t have a small die grinder, that is one of their tools that work well.

MTRoads
    Pro

First of all I tried the high speed metal saw and have to agree it was pretty much a waste of money. About 20 seconds worth of ‘cutting’ on 22ga sheetmetal – and I got all of 1/4″ cut. So that will be going back and I’ll pick up a pneumatic shear.

I got about 4″ out of the one I had and returned… but I fooled around with it for about a 1/2 hr.. If you don’t have a small die grinder, that is one of their tools that work well.

All set with the die grinder (and a good amount of various grinding attachments). I do need to splurge on some carbide attachments one of these days.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Another larger leaf today. Starting to think I should use something other that the bicycle spikes for the stems. Seems like the settings on the welder are fine for the sheetmetal but not hot enough for the spokes.
    Can’t see much of the shape of the leaf from the picture, will have to try something else later.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.656 seconds