dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 97 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 2 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Started doing some learning welding something other than a straight line on a flat surface. Think it is structurally sound even if it ain’t the best looking.
    The pipe was laying on it’s side so it was a vertical weld for the most part.

Looks like you are doing a fine job. The bead looks good.

I have cut apart a couple of the welds to look at penetration, but for the most part have been going with the ‘wack it a few times real good with a sledgehammer – if it just bends, the weld is good to go’ method.

One of the welds I have to figure out is for the small stuff. I have a pile of bicycle spokes for some of the detail work with the dragonfly. MIG definitely is not the way to go trying to weld those up – so I’m looking at other options.

In college one project we had to do was take a steel block say 3 inches x 3 inches x 1 inch thick. We had to run beads til we had it to a certain thickness. Then take it over to vertical mill in the machine shop and machine it down to a certain thickness and see if there was any defects. If there was no defects you were good. If there was defects you went back to building back up with beads. We also had to run beads horizontal on piece of steel pipe cut in half. Starting on the top working your way to the bottom. It was quite the test to see how straight you could weld. It was alot of fun. I miss welding.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

In college one project we had to do was take a steel block say 3 inches x 3 inches x 1 inch thick.

You were welding in collage??? Did you go to welding collage?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@gtokley, That sounds like a great program on welding. I am pretty severely limited on metal tooling at this point, cutting anything apart to check welds is limited to an angle grinder with a cut-off disc.
    Slowly adding tools but the ‘beat it with a sledgehammer’ still remains my best weld testing method.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

In college one project we had to do was take a steel block say 3 inches x 3 inches x 1 inch thick.

You were welding in collage??? Did you go to welding collage?

Yes I did welding in College. Do I didn’t go Welding College. Welding was just one class I had in the course I took.

@gtokley, That sounds like a great program on welding. I am pretty severely limited on metal tooling at this point, cutting anything apart to check welds is limited to an angle grinder with a cut-off disc.
    Slowly adding tools but the ‘beat it with a sledgehammer’ still remains my best weld testing method.

It was a pretty good program Stan. I am pretty sure your welds are fine.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That was the method the instructor used to test our welds in welding school. Still works.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yes I did welding in College. Do I didn’t go Welding College. Welding was just one class I had in the course I took.

Wow that nice to learn to weld in collage.. I would love to have a welder and learn to weld.

Dirty

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Wow that nice to learn to weld in collage.. I would love to have a welder and learn to weld.

I also took welding high school. I too would love to have a welder. I have mainly only used a stick welder. I have used a mig welder some. I sure you could easy now days with all the YT videos out there.

Greg

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I also took welding high school. I too would love to have a welder. I have mainly only used a stick welder. I have used a mig welder some. I sure you could easy now days with all the YT videos out there.

I thought I could have missed out on something good in school… oh well. Maybe next time.
    Here’s Matt doing some nice metal cutting and building. It will be fun to see this cabinet come together.

Dirty

MTRoads
    Pro

That was the method the instructor used to test our welds in welding school. Still works.

Guess it works as a valid test method then. Do want to try cutting into some of the welds at some point to see what is going on under the surface.

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Guess it works as a valid test method then. Do want to try cutting into some of the welds at some point to see what is going on under the surface.

A quick check for penetration is to check the back side of the bead for discoloring and signs of heat. This usually indicates adequate penetratio to hold the weld for most light duty welding jobs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

A quick check for penetration is to check the back side of the bead for discoloring and signs of heat. This usually indicates adequate penetratio to hold the weld for most light duty welding jobs.

Good tip – thanks much.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Good tip – thanks much.

That is a good tip. I am sure if you search online you might find other ways too.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

Picked up some additional metal working tools to work on the deck gate project. 16 ga nibbler, right-angle die grinder and a high-speed metal saw. This weekend I started cutting up a computer case side panel to begin forming some of the leaves.

Had to pick up some .024 MIG wire also as welding the stem material (coat hanger or bicycle spokes) to the leaves needs something lighter.

Will be a slow project, but should have a few pictures next weekend of the pieces made by that time.

Stan

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

16 ga nibbler

Nibblers are great tools. What brand did you get?

Dirty

MTRoads
    Pro

16 ga nibbler

Central Pneumatic stuff from Harbor Freight for now. Should this become a more serious adventure and these items happen to wear out – then I’ll splurge for a higher quality item.
    But for now, the HF one went through that computer case side like nobody’s business. 🙂

Stan

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Picked up some additional metal working tools to work on the deck gate project. 16 ga nibbler, right-angle die grinder and a high-speed metal saw. This weekend I started cutting up a computer case side panel to begin forming some of the leaves.

Had to pick up some .024 MIG wire also as welding the stem material (coat hanger or bicycle spokes) to the leaves needs something lighter.

Will be a slow project, but should have a few pictures next weekend of the pieces made by that time.

Nice , congrats. We used to use the metal nibblers alot when doing sheet metal work , they are fantastic , and not to noisy , what size of compressor are you going to using. I assume that die grinder and nibbler are air tools.

MTRoads
    Pro

Nice , congrats. We used to use the metal nibblers alot when doing sheet metal work , they are fantastic , and not to noisy , what size of compressor are you going to using. I assume that die grinder and nibbler are air tools.

@boschmanbrian, yes all pneumatic tools added to the shop. I have a 60 gallon compressor to carry the load. Bought that many years ago due to doing finish work on woodworking projects in the shop.

Stan

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Central Pneumatic stuff from Harbor Freight for now. Should this become a more serious adventure and these items happen to wear out – then I’ll splurge for a higher quality item.
    But for now, the HF one went through that computer case side like nobody’s business.

There is nothing wrong doing it this way. Maybe this way you will find out tools you thought you needed you really didn’t need.

Greg

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

16 ga nibbler, right-angle die grinder and a high-speed metal saw.

I tried that high speed saw… stalled out as soon as blade hit metal, returned it. Also tried the right angle die grinder… the lock nut that keeps the right angle head together keeps backing out. Took it apart, packed it with grease, put it back together and mashed the threads over so it can’t back out. I’ll use it til it dies and toss it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

16 ga nibbler

But for now, the HF one went through that computer case side like nobody’s business. 🙂

That sounds great ,, At times I wish we had a HF here.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 98 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.945 seconds