dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 147 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

@sprokitz thanks for that description, helps a lot.

The rebar will be a couple different sizes, but smaller stuff for the dragonfly wing veining. I’m still working on getting the welder set up for good welds on the rebar – seems to need different settings than I was expecting to use.

I have plenty of scraps left over from the first project so that will give me the chance to dial in the settings.

Some, not all, rebar needs to be heated before weld. Has to do with the carbon content, the higher the content, the hotter the preheat on both mating surfaces. Other than that I really don’t know the specifics

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Hmmm, sounds like I need to google that. Not sure I know what I have around to heat the rebar up with.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Hmmm, sounds like I need to google that. Not sure I know what I have around to heat the rebar up with.

You could probably get away with a propane torch. It’s not like it has to be white hot or cherry red. “If” your bar needs pre-heat, you could probably fire up your grill and put the pieces in there to heat

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

You could probably get away with a propane torch. It’s not like it has to be white hot or cherry red. “If” your bar needs pre-heat, you could probably fire up your grill and put the pieces in there to heat

Even preheat is the best; I like the grill idea, it would do very nicely for smaller parts.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds good. Propane torch I have, if I tried putting rebar in the grill to heat it – I just might ending up wearing if the wife caught me. 🙂

Stan

I am late to this thread but that gate is awesome, how about some progress pictures @mtroads?

Will

MTRoads
    Pro

@wbembrid, will definitely be posting progress pictures once I get started on it. The goal right now is to collect enough metal to get started.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Picked up about 15 lbs of scrap metal this weekend in various shapes, lengths and sizes. Still a ways to go though.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Started doing some learning welding something other than a straight line on a flat surface. Think it is structurally sound even if it ain’t the best looking.
    The pipe was laying on it’s side so it was a vertical weld for the most part.

Attachments:

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Started doing some learning welding something other than a straight line on a flat surface. Think it is structurally sound even if it ain’t the best looking.

Your skills have definately improved with practice

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

You have nothing to be ashamed of there, Stan. Do you have any projects lined up yet?

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

MTRoads
    Pro

First real project is still slated to be the decorative deck gate. I am trying to gather the metal needed along with trying the various welds that will be needed to stick everything together.
    Think I’m about half way there on the metals, as for the welding – I feel like I’m at the point I’ll go for it. 🙂

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Think it is structurally sound even if it ain’t the best looking.

Looks like a decent weld. If it is a practice piece cut it apart to see the penetration.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Think it is structurally sound even if it ain’t the best looking.

Looks like a decent weld. If it is a practice piece cut it apart to see the penetration.

Good point Bill ,
    And I’ll say like Peter just mentioned above , definitely nothing to be ashamed of , that’s a darn good weld.

MTRoads
    Pro

I have cut apart a couple of the welds to look at penetration, but for the most part have been going with the ‘wack it a few times real good with a sledgehammer – if it just bends, the weld is good to go’ method.

One of the welds I have to figure out is for the small stuff. I have a pile of bicycle spokes for some of the detail work with the dragonfly. MIG definitely is not the way to go trying to weld those up – so I’m looking at other options.

Stan

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have a pile of bicycle spokes for some of the detail work with the dragonfly. MIG definitely is not the way to go trying to weld those up – so I’m looking at other options.

That’s TIG job.
    Or braze them.

MTRoads
    Pro

Don’t think a TIG setup is in the budget right now, so off to research brazing I go.

Stan

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That looks good! That welder is a great tool to have, it will very useful.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

MTRoads
    Pro

That looks good! That welder is a great tool to have, it will very useful.

Useful ain’t even the half of it. 🙂 No projects started yet, but I have fixed a couple things around the shop/house that have been put off too long for lack of another way to fix. I did way too many fixes with angle iron or angle aluminum and bolts. 🙂

Stan

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Useful ain’t even the half of it

Yep you can find a lot of uses for a welder. They come in handy to fix or fabricate a bunch of stuff.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 148 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.521 seconds