dcsimg

Metal work questions

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 4 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

One of the items ‘brought to my attention’ when I decided to get a welder was replacing the deck gate which is made of wood and about 20 years old.
    This photo was provided and I am wrapping my head around the methods for some of the metalwork. The ‘leaves and flowers’ I think I have figured out, pretty much just cutting and working sheet metal over an anvil to the desired shapes.
    When it comes to the dragonfly body, I’m pretty much stumped from this image.
    Any suggestions on how that might be made would be greatly appreciated.
    I will not be making anything near this ornate (for now), but I do want to add some of the elements of the picture shown.

Attachments:

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

That’s an ornate gate.
    As for the dragonfly, maybe a pipe with thin walls?

MTRoads
    Pro

@sorpa, Agree with the thin-wall pipe for the lower section of the body, with appropriate areas cut out for the look.
    The upper three segments look like round spheres welded together, don’t think I have ever seen round metal objects like that – at least that I can recall.

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

@sorpa, Agree with the thin-wall pipe for the lower section of the body, with appropriate areas cut out for the look.
    The upper three segments look like round spheres welded together, don’t think I have ever seen round metal objects like that – at least that I can recall.

Really interesting design. Probably used a lot of found objects to put it together. It would help a lot to see the actual work to know what the pieces are.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

One of the items ‘brought to my attention’ when I decided to get a welder was replacing the deck gate which is made of wood and about 20 years old.

Interesting project you are undertaking. Looking forward to see how it comes out.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

http://www.sharpeproducts.com/store/metal-spheres-hollow-balls

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Really interesting design. Probably used a lot of found objects to put it together. It would help a lot to see the actual work to know what the pieces are.

That’s what I’m thinking Peter, plenty of time, just have to let the mind wonder about, and find odd objects, could be old galvanised fence post caps,
    It definitely looks amazing in my opinion.

MTRoads
    Pro

http://www.sharpeproducts.com/store/metal-spheres-hollow-balls

Thanks for that link. Kind of spendy but just might fit the bill for the 3 upper body pieces.
    I would imagine that the best way to weld them together to get the appearance of the body parts would be to cut a side off one of the balls, file it down to a reasonable bevel and fit it up against the next ball, then weld.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I would imagine that the best way to weld them together to get the appearance of the body parts would be to

My thought is a little diferent on putting the body together. As far as the vines.. I think rebar would work and look great too.

MTRoads
    Pro

I would imagine that the best way to weld them together to get the appearance of the body parts would be to

My thought is a little diferent on putting the body together. As far as the vines.. I think rebar would work and look great too.

If you don’t mind the question – how would you tackle the body parts?

Stan

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

That’s what I’m thinking Peter, plenty of time, just have to let the mind wonder about, and find odd objects, could be old galvanised fence post caps,
    It definitely looks amazing in my opinion.

That’s where the pleasure comes from, searching for the odd stuff that makes it all come together. You do have to be careful welding galvanized; the zinc does funny things to the welding.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

MTRoads
    Pro

Ok, so the concept so far for the dragonfly is 3 metal balls for the first three parts, then a piece of thin wall tube for the rest of the body with appropriate cut-outs.
    The idea of rebar for the wing pieces sounds pretty darn good.
    Flowers and leaves – sheet metal, cut and hammered to give a somewhat realistic look.
    Not sure if I will go with the small berry looking pieces, but the small flowers look easy enough to do – again with metal tubing cut and flared on one end and closed up on the other end.

Looking for a source for a used Argon tank as I have a feeling flux-core is just going to include a lot of cleanup.

Stan

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

My thought is a little different on putting the body together. As far as the vines.. I think rebar would work and look great too.

If you don’t mind the question – how would you tackle the body parts?

Sorry for the late reply. Let me say this… I really like that gate. I consider it functional art, which makes the entire thing subjective. No doubt it started with an idea, a vision, an interpretaion and finally fabrication. Nothing about it is true to life nor is it to scale, but what it is, is everything is recognizable to anyone who sees it..and that’s all that matters.

What I meant by my thought is a little different is I like the concept but I would put my own spin on it. I wouldn’t try to replicate the original artists work.

MTRoads
    Pro

@sprokitz, I fully agree with you that ‘replicating’ the work is not the direction I will be going.

This is more of a project where I need to do more learning and might as well work on something that can be used around the house. The grand-daughter is a big butterfly fan, so the dragonfly body should work for that almost as well.

A good part of the learning for me will be designing jigs for laying out things such as the forming of the wings – see how much carries over from woodworking jig making.

Stan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.895 seconds