dcsimg

Metal buildings for residential home

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I picked up a sheet of 2’x4′ 11/32″ thick sheathing plywood today at Home Depot. $18.89. it’s not dropping here. In the past I would have picked up a full sheet of 4×8 with that price.

I think retail will go down a lot slower that the futures have, they were below $850 yesterday down from a high of a little over $1700 in early may. Unfortunately, retailers now have expensive inventory on their shelves and are not willing to sell at a loss unless they have to. the move down on their part will be much slower than the move up was.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Unfortunately, retailers now have expensive inventory on their shelves and are not willing to sell at a loss unless they have to. the move down on their part will be much slower than the move up was.

True, but when they had inventory at the start of the pandemic, and prices were going up, they raised prices quickly instead of selling their inventory at their lower purchase prices. They didn’t wait till their inventory runs out before raising prices.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Unfortunately, retailers now have expensive inventory on their shelves and are not willing to sell at a loss unless they have to. the move down on their part will be much slower than the move up was.

True, but when they had inventory at the start of the pandemic, and prices were going up, they raised prices quickly instead of selling their inventory at their lower purchase prices. They didn’t wait till their inventory runs out before raising prices.

very true, but they want the knife to cut both ways and to make money on the way up and down.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Thanks much to those that provided some input to the questions I had on metal framed houses.
    Turns out we finally found a property and are currently under contract.
    Was looking at going with metal building for a shop, but local company has some pretty good prices on pole barns.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Thanks much to those that provided some input to the questions I had on metal framed houses.

Was looking at going with metal building for a shop, but local company has some pretty good prices on pole barns.

Congratulations , that should be a fun project ,
    Hopefully we get to see some progress

MTRoads
    Pro

Sure will. We should be on the property in time to do some dirt work before the snow falls. Will get pictures along the way. Course the dirt work won’t start until they come out and mark where every electrical, water, septic line is on the property. (only 2 acres – so shouldn’t be too bad)

Stan

Sure will. We should be on the property in time to do some dirt work before the snow falls. Will get pictures along the way. Course the dirt work won’t start until they come out and mark where every electrical, water, septic line is on the property. (only 2 acres – so shouldn’t be too bad)

Nice 👍 , thanks , definitely looking forward to seeing it , I bet you are anxious to get the new shop up , how big will you make it

MTRoads
    Pro

Sort of depends on where the market goes with lumber pricing in the spring. Planning on a low end of 24 X 30 and a high end of 30 x 40.
    Could be anywhere in between depending on the cost/sqft values come next spring.

Stan

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

lumber pricing

The downward trend in pricing will likely hit a snag for a while. May even go up again. Seems the forest fires have made it impossible for mills to keep functioning and many have closed for a little while. At least that’s the situation I am reading about out west.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Sort of depends on where the market goes with lumber pricing in the spring. Planning on a low end of 24 X 30 and a high end of 30 x 40.

Could be anywhere in between depending on the cost/sqft values come next spring.

I totally understand , fingers crossed for you that it drops , and you can get the shop you want
    30 x40 is a very nice size

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I have been thinking about building a garage 24 x 30 as well. I want to a upstairs in mine. So wifey can have this for work space/office. We will see how things go next year.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

lumber pricing

The downward trend in pricing will likely hit a snag for a while. May even go up again. Seems the forest fires have made it impossible for mills to keep functioning and many have closed for a little while. At least that’s the situation I am reading about out west.

It very well could hit a snag. I was wondering this with all the fires even with ones in Northern Ontario.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

@JimDaddyO & @GTokley,
    Yeah, think one of the limiting factors for the mills is hoot-owl hours for tree cutting. Hard to run a mill when you can’t get logs to the mill.

@Boschmanbrian
    The nice thing about a pole barn – easy to add an extension on at a later time. 🙂 If prices don’t settle down, I may go with a 30 x 20 just to get things up and running – then wait out the lumber prices and add another 20′ to the back side later for the full 30 x 40.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

First part of the shop is taken care of. 10×20 pre-built shed that will eventually become storage for lumber and other shop accessories that don’t need to be in the main shop.

Stan

First part of the shop is taken care of. 10×20 pre-built shed that will eventually become storage for lumber and other shop accessories that don’t need to be in the main shop.

Nice 👍 congrats , definitely will be great to have storage and stuff
    Is it a kit you assemble , or did you source it out because of time and sorts.

MTRoads
    Pro

Pre-built and delivered on a flat-bed truck. Thought about a kit, but we will more than likely be busy with plenty of other projects – so this works out nicely. Just wait for it to be delivered and then start loading it up. 🙂

Stan

Pre-built and delivered on a flat-bed truck. Thought about a kit, but we will more than likely be busy with plenty of other projects – so this works out nicely. Just wait for it to be delivered and then start loading it up. 🙂

Nice , that is always nice , congrats , and I totally get it , looking forward to seeing your new place 👍

MTRoads
    Pro

Just a teaser, but that’s pretty much what we have to start with.

Stan

Attachments:
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

This will be your new home.

Greg

MTRoads
    Pro

This will be your new home.

Absolutely, can’t wait to get moved in.

Have a couple questions relating to the exterior of the house that need to be addressed – just working out which forum is the most appropriate for the questions.

Stan

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.356 seconds