dcsimg

Metal buildings for residential home

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

In the last few weeks the lumber futures prices have dropped from over 900$ / 1000 BF to around 600$ / 1000.

I just watched a video where the couple goes to buy OSB. It was just over $10/sheet at the beginning of summer, now it’s at $30/sheet.

We are seeing that here also. It was 8 or 9 bucks earlier this year and I just priced some today at a big box that was 23. In the local yards it is 30 or better. Most yards are limiting you to one unit per order also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hoping the right property comes along before too long.

One thing that has remained strong throughout 2020 housing prices and used cars; both are up and staying up. The housing market in the US is tight.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

In the last few weeks the lumber futures prices have dropped from over 900$ / 1000 BF to around 600$ / 1000.

I just watched a video where the couple goes to buy OSB. It was just over $10/sheet at the beginning of summer, now it’s at $30/sheet.

That’s just crazy pricing. Hope things settle down and go back to normal before long.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

Hoping the right property comes along before too long.

One thing that has remained strong throughout 2020 housing prices and used cars; both are up and staying up. The housing market in the US is tight.

Agree, it is a crazy market right now here also. If you don’t get a viewing of a property within a day or two it will be gone. Which is why I was looking into the metal building options.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Been about 2 1/2 months since the last post, and things with the market have gotten worse if anything.
    Have switched to looking for land once again, but hiring a builder is pretty much out the window between all of them being busy – and materials pricing getting out of hand.
    So I started looking at the metal building options once again. Which means research on foundation/pad and other items of interest if I decided to go with an outdoors wood boiler system.

Stan

Been about 2 1/2 months since the last post, and things with the market have gotten worse if anything.

Have switched to looking for land once again, but hiring a builder is pretty much out the window between all of them being busy – and materials pricing getting out of hand.

So I started looking at the metal building options once again. Which means research on foundation/pad and other items of interest if I decided to go with an outdoors wood boiler system.

Sorry to hear that , you mean worse in a seller’s market I assume , I know here the value has been rising more and more

My friend from work is a plumber , he just finished building a bungalow on slab in Ontario , they used in floor heating with another system , his house came out beautiful , but it’s not metal , it’s stick and stone.
    But this was about 3 years ago , before covid19 drove up materials pricing.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I haven’t witnessed it happening yet, but we have had our first snow slides off the new metal roof. The aftermath looks really cool as it doesn’t all come off at once, so you have a stripe effect of roof and snow.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro

Sorry to hear that , you mean worse in a seller’s market I assume , I know here the value has been rising more and more

My friend from work is a plumber , he just finished building a bungalow on slab in Ontario , they used in floor heating with another system , his house came out beautiful , but it’s not metal , it’s stick and stone.

But this was about 3 years ago , before covid19 drove up materials pricing.

Worse for buyers, we have tried to look at a number of houses that are marked as ‘new’ on the market. By the time our Realtor contacts the listing agent – the property already has multiple offers and they have stopped showing the property.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

So with the market being overly to the ‘sellers market’ side, we are once again looking at metal frame construction. Anyone familiar with barndominium style construction that could give some insight to preferred heat arragements. (i.e. radiant floor, forced air, etc).

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

The process is crazy right now, houses sell as fast as they come on the market.

Even with the material prices, people are still building. I think there is a fear that rates will rise more than material costs, which is pushing all of this.

I have had more calls about building in the last 3 months than I have had in the last 5 years.

I bought another lumber package for a house today and have another one to buy.

I fear lumber will only get worse, at least until late fall. We may get a little reprieve as winter rolls in.

I think Steel will surprise you also. I think steel prices have about tripled also. so has copper. Commodity prices in general are crazy.

So with the market being overly to the ‘sellers market’ side, we are once again looking at metal frame construction. Anyone familiar with barndominium style construction that could give some insight to preferred heat arragements. (i.e. radiant floor, forced air, etc).

I’m not familiar with that style of building , but as Kurt mentioned steel is definitely on the rise , actually my wife and I were just talking about how much material has gone up in price , she said she is finding steel has gone up in price 3 times from what she used to pay prior to covid19 , she’s a internal sales representative for a major steel company here ,
    It incredible how much prices are increasing.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would be curious how much you use air in your area. I would look hard at a in-floor radiant heat package. If you need AC, I would look at the Unico system. which has small ducts and a high flow system. Another option for cooling could be ducted mini splits. I think those would work well also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I think Steel will surprise you also. I think steel prices have about tripled also. so has copper. Commodity prices in general are crazy.

Lumber and steel man that’s juts crazy. Nice you are busy but material prices are just over the top.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Lumber and steel man that’s juts crazy. Nice you are busy but material prices are just over the top.

I just repriced a house from three months ago, the lumber alone is over 14K higher than it was then. I am waiting for the steel reprice to add in yet.

Just yesterday my builders placed drainage and water lines and hope everything goes well

Simona, Brown

MTRoads
    Pro

Thanks for the input folks. I agree that lumber and metal prices have gone up significantly lately – but that is just something we have to deal with.
    Buying an existing home is not working out as they are, #1 – selling so fast, #2 – sellers are taking their homes off the market as they cannot afford to buy elsewhere.
    Agree that radiant heat flooring is a good option (external wood burning boiler to heat home and shop).
    A/C will depend on the location of land we will purchase, but will more than likely be a need. And mini-splits will more than likely be the way we will go.

Stan

Thanks for the input folks. I agree that lumber and metal prices have gone up significantly lately – but that is just something we have to deal with.

Buying an existing home is not working out as they are, #1 – selling so fast, #2 – sellers are taking their homes off the market as they cannot afford to buy elsewhere.

Agree that radiant heat flooring is a good option (external wood burning boiler to heat home and shop).

A/C will depend on the location of land we will purchase, but will more than likely be a need. And mini-splits will more than likely be the way we will go.

Sorry to hear that , yeah it’s a crazy market right now , the guy I’m training , just bought a condo , but he’s hoping to get into it in the end of June , his wife is pregnant with their second child , but the previous owner has a clause stating that he can move when he finds something else , but like you said , it’s a seller’s market

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.284 seconds