dcsimg

Metal buildings for residential home

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • Author

@Skilman – thanks for the YouTube hint, will check that out.

No problem what size home are you looking at building . Your really only limited to what size truss you use . Since most have open floor plans .

Always willing to learn .

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

@Skilman, I have been working with some floorplan layouts in the 40×64 range… and struggling with the same.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

MTRoads
    Pro

Drove around the valley today, appears the metal span buildings are getting more popular here also. Saw 5 that have just recently gone up.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Just got a call from an old client to build a shouse this morning.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Saw 5 that have just recently gone up.

They are definitely popular in the south. Lots around here and a lot cheaper than stick built.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Just got a call from an old client to build a shouse this morning.

If you end up doing the build for him, I’d greatly appreciate any process pictures/short descriptions along the way.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Will do, I will be meeting with him later this week.

MTRoads
    Pro

Any updates on the meeting?

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Any follow-up information? We are getting closer to making a decision and just wondering if your meeting can provided any additional input.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a preliminary plan and will get started pricing. they want to build in the spring, so I told them that whatever price I give them, I will have to reprice the lumber in the spring.

It will probably be in their favor as I hope lumber prices work themselves out by spring. Where they are now is crazy. The conference call I was on last Friday indicated that they should somewhat normalize by spring.

MTRoads
    Pro

Sounds good, guess I’ll check with you next spring to see how things are going. Lumber prices coming down would definitely be a good thing. 🙂

Stan

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I hope lumber prices work themselves out by spring. Where they are now is crazy. The conference call I was on last Friday indicated that they should somewhat normalize by spring.

Lets hope so Kurt.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I hope lumber prices work themselves out by spring. Where they are now is crazy.

Around here as well, lumber prices are crazy. I also see lots of new metal buildings going up. Some of my friends in the trades are complaining bout high lumber prices and spot shortages.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro

Anyone have any dealings with QE Building Co?
    Reviewed their site and looks like some pretty good prices on their metal buildings.

Stan

Doobie

I hope lumber prices work themselves out by spring. Where they are now is crazy. The conference call I was on last Friday indicated that they should somewhat normalize by spring.

I was told by my local supplier that it was maybe towards the end on September here.

Then again, I’m in Canada and a lot of it comes from Canada that I get supplied with.

You guys in the US are subject to tariffs also right now again for the last few years if I’m not mistaken on Canadian softwood import stuff which you rely on heavily from us. Betcha now the Canadian producers are nailing you guys for even bigger profits right now having to deal with that long never ending repeated saga on our softwood exports and tariffs involved.

Supposed to be all about ‘stumpage fees’ being CNDN Government supported as an argument. I call that Horse-Patoo-ees. It’s all about market share and profit increases and which politicos are in Washington bending to whatever lumber special interest group is buying their lunch ticket. That’s the way it is in politics/business. We just have so much Crown land here in Canada that they work off only requiring restorative/stumpage fees of versus private land of US based companies. This battle is nowhere near ending and it has little to do with who is in the White House right now and will continue for a long time still. It’s already been going on for decades now.

Thing is, if you’ve ever traveled across Canada, except for the vastness of the treeless empty Prairies, we are covered in forest. Just endless miles of it all mostly uninhabited/un-owned.

Made me chuckle when we started doing paper waste recycling a couple of decades ago. Turns out I found out over the years, a lot of our recycled paper just ends up in landfills we have so much wood here. They just don’t advertise that to the Canadian public.

Sad thing is, consumers end up paying the tab at the end of the day of all these shenanigans that are driven by the corporate and government elites in backroom deals and disputes. Sigh!

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Supposed to be all about ‘stumpage fees’ being CNDN Government supported as an argument.

You are correct Kevin.

In America, forestry is done mostly on private lands. They have to pay more for the trees. In Canada, forestry is done on Crown land (owned by the country) and the stumpage fees are set by a bidding process. Highest bid gets to cut. It’s been proven at every WTO ruling over many decades that the stumpage fees in Canada are as high as the market will bear due to this “aucioning” off of cutting rights. Canada has won every (and there’s been quite a few) softwood trade dispute with America. The tariffs get put on because of lobbying by American lumber industries and only cost the consumer more because it artificially inflates what American domestic suppliers can charge.

They just tried the same thing, again, with aluminium. They treatened tariffs but pulled back at the last minute. The American aluminium industry can only supply a small fraction of the demand there, so importing is manditory. Either that, or go without, which causes even more headaches for consumers. They have just settled on a “quota” of imports instead. Only allowing so much Canadian aluminium to come into the country. Right now there is a bit of a glut on the market because of industry shut downs. You can’t just shut down an aluminium refinery, that’s hugely expensive. So instead of semi finished goods, Canadian refineries have been shipping ingots to the USA to be finished there in the future when industry gets rolling again. The American aluminum industry lobbyists don’t like that, even though it will provide more work in the USA transforming the ingots into useable items, but not work for aluminium producers. It’s a real mess that costs consumers more than they need to pay to line the pockets of a few choice people.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

MTRoads
    Pro

Well, with the timing of things it looks like a metal building as a residence is out for now. Maybe as a shop building, will have to see how the next couple months go.

Stan

MTRoads
    Pro

Sure wish I had started researching the metal buildings a couple years ago. House search is driving us nuts with the Covid situation driving stick-frame house out the roof here.
    Hoping the right property comes along before too long.

If not, might have to stop – do more metal building research and delay our move.

Stan

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I was told by my local supplier that it was maybe towards the end on September here.

Then again, I’m in Canada and a lot of it comes from Canada that I get supplied with.

You guys in the US are subject to tariffs also right now again for the last few years if I’m not mistaken on Canadian softwood import stuff which you rely on heavily from us. Betcha now the Canadian producers are nailing you guys for even bigger profits right now having to deal with that long never ending repeated saga on our softwood exports and tariffs involved.

Supposed to be all about ‘stumpage fees’ being CNDN Government supported as an argument. I call that Horse-Patoo-ees. It’s all about market share and profit increases and which politicos are in Washington bending to whatever lumber special interest group is buying their lunch ticket. That’s the way it is in politics/business. We just have so much Crown land here in Canada that they work off only requiring restorative/stumpage fees of versus private land of US based companies. This battle is nowhere near ending and it has little to do with who is in the White House right now and will continue for a long time still. It’s already been going on for decades now.

Thing is, if you’ve ever traveled across Canada, except for the vastness of the treeless empty Prairies, we are covered in forest. Just endless miles of it all mostly uninhabited/un-owned.

Made me chuckle when we started doing paper waste recycling a couple of decades ago. Turns out I found out over the years, a lot of our recycled paper just ends up in landfills we have so much wood here. They just don’t advertise that to the Canadian public.

Sad thing is, consumers end up paying the tab at the end of the day of all these shenanigans that are driven by the corporate and government elites in backroom deals and disputes. Sigh!

In the last few weeks the lumber futures prices have dropped from over 900$ / 1000 BF to around 600$ / 1000. I hope this trend continues. unfortunately I have not seen the prices at the lumber yards start to drop. They actually seem to have gone up a little, at least on the panel side of things.

I have several homes to bid and this makes doing that very difficult

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

In the last few weeks the lumber futures prices have dropped from over 900$ / 1000 BF to around 600$ / 1000.

I just watched a video where the couple goes to buy OSB. It was just over $10/sheet at the beginning of summer, now it’s at $30/sheet.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.383 seconds