dcsimg

Mechanics Tool Chest

This topic contains 127 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Some had vises attached to the top plate too.

Most mechanics that have the mobile work station mount a vice on there as well. Makes it real handy.

Definitely, but not just mechanics, at the shop, most guys that work in plant maintenance and plumbing, even the electricians have them mounted to the boxes, always nice to have that third hand

Nice added feature. Makes me want to get that rolling box even more lol.

Oh, another thing I forgot they did.

Most got rid of the little 4″ castors on them and went with a 6″ or 8″ castor. Much easier to roll around if the surface isn’t perfect.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Maybe my situation is different, but I sold my large mechanics tool chest and downsized the tool collection. Can’t say that I miss any of it really. Woodworking related tools are now in built-in storage in the shop which I find to be much more convenient access.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Maybe my situation is different, but I sold my large mechanics tool chest and downsized the tool collection. Can’t say that I miss any of it really. Woodworking related tools are now in built-in storage in the shop which I find to be much more convenient access.

I could not agree more with you Peter,
    I have one at home in the garage, and another at the shop,
    Now that the company started doing shadow boards, they would like us to bring our own boxes home, I’m thinking of selling both of them, I started giving away lots of hand tools to my nephew and sister, especially since I think I have something like 3 of each tool easily lol

And like Jim mentioned, I swapped out the 4 inch wheels and went with much better quality at work, and 5 inch wheels.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Most mechanics that have the mobile work station mount a vice on there as well. Makes it real handy.

Definitely, but not just mechanics, at the shop, most guys that work in plant maintenance and plumbing, even the electricians have them mounted to the boxes, always nice to have that third hand

I worked with a Millwright that had mobile work station with a soild plate top for a work surface and he also had vise he mount or remove without tools. It was great set up. He kept tool boxes on the lower shelf. He had also built a storage cabinet at on one end of the work station. This was great set up. The best part was when caught someone using his work surface or vise. He wasn’t the type of guy to share. LOL!!

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Oh, another thing I forgot they did.

Most got rid of the little 4″ castors on them and went with a 6″ or 8″ castor. Much easier to roll around if the surface isn’t perfect.

I probably wont be rolling it around much so whatever castors come on it I will leave them on there. That is goo to know for anyone who has one that moves theirs around a lot.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I probably wont be rolling it around much so whatever castors come on it I will leave them on there.

Tha standard casters will be alright then. I have had little problems with the standard casters over the years and my boxes are really loaded up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I came across a U.S. General mobile tool chest/workbench w/o the wood top/butcher block. The tool chest is 42 inches long and the wood top is 56 inches long. I was thing of centering the board and keep the overhand and mount a table top drill press on 1 end and a vise on the other end and make a support underneath each end to support the weight. Would this be ok or should I have it cut down to the size of the chest?

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.488 seconds