dcsimg

Mechanics Tool Chest

This topic contains 127 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

What’s the advantage of having a tool chest that has the wood on surface top of the box? I don’t know for sure if I want one like that or a regular one with the metal surface.

Doobie
    Pro

What’s the advantage of having a tool chest that has the wood on surface top of the box? I don’t know for sure if I want one like that or a regular one with the metal surface.

Those ones with the butcher tops are for the kitchen.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

The primary purpose is just to give you a flat surface for working on, usually here in the shop, as soon as we get our tool boxes, we usually cut a piece and screw in or bolt it down to the metal top, some guys even put a little slot under the wood top to accommodate the ridge of the top of the tool box, this way you can even make the top a slight bit longer than the tool box.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

The primary purpose is just to give you a flat surface for working on, usually here in the shop, as soon as we get our tool boxes, we usually cut a piece and screw in or bolt it down to the metal top, some guys even put a little slot under the wood top to accommodate the ridge of the top of the tool box, this way you can even make the top a slight bit longer than the tool box.

I worked with a guy had wooden top on his tool chest for that reason as work surface. He also had groove routed in a inch from outside of top to catch oil or fuilds. When saw I thought it was great idea.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Clev08
    Pro

They can be sanded or re flattened rather than a metal top that can puncture or dent. Some me people also drill dog holes into a wood top for clamps and other accessories.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I appreciate the input.

CB
    Pro

I used MDF, for dimensional consistency, on top of my toolbox, and then covered it with V grooved rubber matting. The valley grooves catch and contain the fluids, and the peaks of the grooves help cushion more delicate parts, like fuel injectors, that end up being fiddled with on the tool box top for further disassembly.

I don’t use metal tops on the tool box, but I do use metal topped tables for some heavy service and fabrication operations.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Some guys use their rolling chest as a portable work bench (they don’t put on a top box). Having a wooden top helps save the box from getting scratched and dented.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

This is my buddy Sal, he’s the plumber here in the shop. This is how he’s set up

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

This is my buddy Sal, he’s the plumber here in the shop. This is how he’s set up

I like that. I think I might go with one that has the butcher top.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That is a nice set up. Thanks for sharing. I wanted to do this in my woodshop. I would just make a wooden top. This would also give another work surface or a place to pile crap.

Greg

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That is a nice set up. Thanks for sharing. I wanted to do this in my woodshop. I would just make a wooden top. This would also give another work surface or a place to pile crap.

LOL exactly pile crap on it.

I seen this one on HD site and reviews are good. I’m thinking of this one.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-52-in-11-Drawer-Mobile-Work-Center-48-22-8552/300891919

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-52-in-11-Drawer-Mobile-Work-Center-48-22-8552/300891919

Oh man, that sounds exactly like my garage / workshop lol actually even my house, when ever their is a flat surface, it’s immediately going to get covered with carp lol
    Actually we have those boxes in our wood shop in the plant, I’ll snap a picture tomorrow, we even made pull outs for the nails for the pneumatic nail guns.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yeah that is a pretty typical use of the space on top of the box. This is getting more common as the bottom boxes get bigger.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

As crap still finds it’s way on there. I still like the idea of having that work surface.

Oh man, that sounds exactly like my garage / workshop lol actually even my house, when ever their is a flat surface, it’s immediately going to get covered with carp lol
    Actually we have those boxes in our wood shop in the plant, I’ll snap a picture tomorrow, we even made pull outs for the nails for the pneumatic nail guns.

Yeah same. Stuff everywhere.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That Milwaukee work center is nice and not a bad price either. Always gets good reviews.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

That Milwaukee work center is nice and not a bad price either. Always gets good reviews.

I seen a lot of good reviews about it. I seen one Friday at HD and I like it. I hope to get one soon.

One factory I worked at they all made an exo-skeleton for their boxes from angle iron and topped the box with 1/4″ plate. They used them as mobile work benches and took a lot of pounding. Some had vises attached to the top plate too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Some had vises attached to the top plate too.

Most mechanics that have the mobile work station mount a vice on there as well. Makes it real handy.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Some had vises attached to the top plate too.

Most mechanics that have the mobile work station mount a vice on there as well. Makes it real handy.

Definitely, but not just mechanics, at the shop, most guys that work in plant maintenance and plumbing, even the electricians have them mounted to the boxes, always nice to have that third hand

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.789 seconds