dcsimg

Mechanics Tool Chest

This topic contains 127 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Everything Snap-on is way over priced.

yah i’d rather get the harbor freight us general line. They have good reviews and are more appropriately priced.

Even with all of the positive reviews of the US General Line, there is something in me that is just a wee bit hesitant with the HF options. I know it is silly, but I think I would still prefer to spend a bit more and get the Milwaukee or something comparable.

Yeah hf sux. It’s a blight. Every time I leave there I think I need a shower. Harbor freight is perpetuating our problems

Pro since 1990

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open

Frank Zappa

Doobie
    Pro

OLD THREAD WARNING.

I ignored this thread from earlier this year when it came out as I never really liked mechanics tool chests nor did I have the room for one in my main shop. But now with Mancave II coming along and moving a bunch of my stuff in this ‘shed’, I think I may just get one. Already I’m finding I have a lot of tools in there and it is eating up to much valuable tabletop real estate.

Anybody have anything to say about the Kobalt Lowes housebrand?

Lowes this weekend has an upper and lower “ProSteel” set available at half price and along with a further 10% discount I could get seems pretty good price wise, but I suspect this ProSteel stuff is crap. Fifty lb drawer weight rating doesn’t seem like much to me.

https://www.lowes.ca/tool-cabinets/prosteel-6-drawer-tool-cabinet-base_g1818633.html?SearchTerm=538539

I looked at the Milwaukee one at HD the other day. It seems nice, I’m just not sure I want a big red Milwaukee badged setup in my shop.

The Husky HD house brand seems alright but I just saw an unflattering review comparing it to the Yukon HF comparable model linked in another thread on BTP this past week, and I cannot find this Yukon brand, or simply don’t know its rebadged name, up here in Canada.

What about “International”? I see them available at Rona

I’d love to get Snap-On or similar high end brand. but not for the prices they want. I’m not a mechanic, I don’t need that kind of high end product for this need.

OLD THREAD WARNING.

I ignored this thread from earlier this year when it came out as I never really liked mechanics tool chests nor did I have the room for one in my main shop. But now with Mancave II coming along and moving a bunch of my stuff in this ‘shed’, I think I may just get one. Already I’m finding I have a lot of tools in there and it is eating up to much valuable tabletop real estate.

Anybody have anything to say about the Kobalt Lowes housebrand?

Lowes this weekend has an upper and lower “ProSteel” set available at half price and along with a further 10% discount I could get seems pretty good price wise, but I suspect this ProSteel stuff is crap. Fifty lb drawer weight rating doesn’t seem like much to me.

https://www.lowes.ca/tool-cabinets/prosteel-6-drawer-tool-cabinet-base_g1818633.html?SearchTerm=538539

I looked at the Milwaukee one at HD the other day. It seems nice, I’m just not sure I want a big red Milwaukee badged setup in my shop.

The Husky HD house brand seems alright but I just saw an unflattering review comparing it to the Yukon HF comparable model linked in another thread on BTP this past week, and I cannot find this Yukon brand, or simply don’t know its rebadged name, up here in Canada.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JFoupWtIKfo?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I’d love to get Snap-On or similar high end brand. but not for the prices they want. I’m not a mechanic, I don’t need that kind of high end product for this need.

Id build one out of wood – not too hard to get good slider hardware, and looks much better.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

What about looking at craftsman brand? I see a few guys where I work have craftsman box and chest.

Doobie
    Pro

Id build one out of wood – not too hard to get good slider hardware, and looks much better.

Don’t have the time frankly. Too many other projects on the to-do list.

What about looking at craftsman brand? I see a few guys where I work have craftsman box and chest.

Everything I’ve read so far is that Craftsman is crap now when it comes to tool chests. They used to have good stuff, but that’s long since changed apparently.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I didn’t know that @doobie. So which is better out of the 2? Habor Freights brand or Craftsman? lol

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@doobie, I would say it all depends on what you want to put into it, and if you will be rolling it around and stuff,
    That Milwaukee one, can’t you just remove the name plate if you like it?
    Maybe some sort of all around, or perimeter shelves?
    Check out Costco, they sometimes have some decent boxes

Doobie
    Pro

I would say it all depends on what you want to put into it, and if you will be rolling it around and stuff,

Mostly a lot of wrenches and sockets I have in a heap otherwise.

I’ve considered that as an option. I think if I saw one dramatically reduced in price I’d gladly take it home despite my misgivings about color and branding. The Milwaukee has a huge logo on the back inner wall under the hood.

I did that a few days ago. Nothing really jumped out at me.

At this point I think I’m still getting educated on what brands or construction to look for. I’d like to probably then sit back and wait to snag a deal or one on clearance. It’s not an item I urgently need, I just feel now I could in fact use one. Just too many loose hand tools and stuff lying around at times without a home.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

International makes a good box, I have two of their rolling cabinet setups and really like them. They have good prices as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I would say it all depends on what you want to put into it, and if you will be rolling it around and stuff,

I’ve considered that as an option. I think if I saw one dramatically reduced in price I’d gladly take it home despite my misgivings about color and branding. The Milwaukee has a huge logo on the back inner wall under the hood.

At this point I think I’m still getting educated on what brands or construction to look for. I’d like to probably then sit back and wait to snag a deal or one on clearance. It’s not an item I urgently need, I just feel now I could in fact use one. Just too many loose hand tools and stuff lying around at times without a home.

I’m also looking for one. A small one for the garage. bad thing is color. I don’t know why but color of the box matters to me. Call me weird.

Doobie
    Pro

International makes a good box, I have two of their rolling cabinet setups and really like them. They have good prices as well.

I’m starting to discern that myself. They have different quality levels, but none seem bad including their more economical line.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m also looking for one. A small one for the garage. bad thing is color. I don’t know why but color of the box matters to me. Call me weird.

home depot has been running quite a few deals and selection in the last little bit. i’ve seen quite a few that i would definitely be interested in if i wasn’t already aiming at the harbor freight one. I just need my work shop arranged and i’ll end up picking up one or two of those for the side of the shop.

Doobie
    Pro

home depot has been running quite a few deals and selection in the last little bit. i’ve seen quite a few that i would definitely be interested in

I’m a bit leery of the Husky ones they have. Someelements seem real cheap upon my quicky first inspection. Typically Husky isn’t bad, but with these tool cabs, I’m not so sure.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

home depot has been running quite a few deals and selection in the last little bit. i’ve seen quite a few that i would definitely be interested in

I’m a bit leery of the Husky ones they have. Someelements seem real cheap upon my quicky first inspection. Typically Husky isn’t bad, but with these tool cabs, I’m not so sure.

I thought the same thing with the Husky boxes. Just not the same feel as other boxes. Metal felt thinner to.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@r-ice didn’t you buy a tool box earlier this year, I thought I remembered someone buying a tool box from some big box store recently?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I thought I remembered someone buying a tool box from some big box store recently?

I picked up the smaller Milwaukee box not to long ago.

Attachments:

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I thought I remembered someone buying a tool box from some big box store recently?

I picked up the smaller Milwaukee box not to long ago.

That’s a nice box Ron, how do you like it so far.
    I thought I remembered someone buying one of those black boxes from home Depot.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Remember to buy more tool box than you need so you have room to buy more tools.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Remember to buy more tool box than you need so you have room to buy more tools.

Actually that’s some great advice, wish someone would have told me that a few decades ago. Would have saved me from buying the first cheaper box, and selling it for peanuts and buying another later on.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I know what you are saying with light metal ones. My wife bought me a small chest that Walmart sells for a gift. It wasn’t really what I wanted. I have had 3 years now and it seems to be standing up ok. I guess it is better then what I had as in nothing.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.184 seconds