dcsimg

Mechanics Tool Chest

This topic contains 127 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 10 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Author

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

But sometimes wonder if I should have went with the larger one. It fills up fast.

Ron they sure do but then you get to buy another one and fill it up. The next one go big like 55″ and about 6′ tall and you’ll have plenty of room for a while. You can get an ITB set like that for around $1700 shipped.

6′ tall would do me no good. Couldn’t see anything in the top drawer or two. lmao

How about his one Ron..

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

kzcarp
    Pro

@supimeister Chi-town ? Stay safe.

kevin

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Regarding tool chests I was watching a Leno’s Garage video and he had the Snap-on guy there with a truck full of tool boxes. After pricing one out it came to $28,000. No engine no trans just metal and drawer slides $28K. I have 2 complete Snap-on tool box cabs all bought in the 70s and 80s. But for the last 4 rollaways I have bought none were Snap-on 1 MAC, 1 Gerstner, and 2 ITBs. Snap-on just got way too expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Everything Snap-on is way over priced.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah i’d rather get the harbor freight us general line. They have good reviews and are more appropriately priced.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

How about his one Ron..

Wow, now that’s a tool box. I would have to go on a shopping spree to even get the top part half full. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

yah i’d rather get the harbor freight us general line. They have good reviews and are more appropriately priced.

Even with all of the positive reviews of the US General Line, there is something in me that is just a wee bit hesitant with the HF options. I know it is silly, but I think I would still prefer to spend a bit more and get the Milwaukee or something comparable.

John S

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@supimeister
    Good to hear from you John.
    I have a few of these, one at home in the garage, and the other at work, used to have to push it from site to site, have had them for around 25 plus years, never any problems,

@supimeister
    I have a few of these, one at home in the garage, and the other at work, used to have to push it from site to site, have had them for around 25 plus years, never any problems,

Wow @boschmanbrian – those looks to be in great shape still. On the second picture, is that something like an 18” end cabinet + 26” drawer + 18” end cabinet? I can’t quite find anything comparable for sale at HF still…

John S

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@supimeister

Wow @boschmanbrian – those looks to be in great shape still. On the second picture, is that something like an 18” end cabinet + 26” drawer + 18” end cabinet? I can’t quite find anything comparable for sale at HF still…

It’s basically a coat locker, I made that when I first started in sheet metal, most guys made different styles of lockers for the tool boxes, just to keep personal items inside when going from site to site.

You might find some on the beach site, or even snap on has some.

It’s basically a coat locker, I made that when I first started in sheet metal

Well shoot. Love the idea but I am not so experienced with working with metal. Oh well. It is still good to hear that the HF stuff has held up well for you for so long.

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Even with all of the positive reviews of the US General Line,

The US general line is OK for the HO or the DIYer as long as you don’t over load the drawers. The slides are kinda funky and if you overload the drawers they will bind. Also the casters leave a lot to be desired. Cheap and will not roll well if loaded up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well shoot. Love the idea but I am not so experienced with working with metal. Oh well. It is still good to hear that the HF stuff has held up well for you for so long.

Ah sorry, never bought them from H F
    The one in my garage, I bought from Canadian Tire
    And the big one at work, I bought it through I think at the time was either Tenaquip or Mc master Carr maybe even ackland grainger, but I don’t even think they make them any longer.
    It’s over twenty years for sure.

It helped that I also added the aluminum plates under and those smoother running 5 inch wheels,
    But it still managed to get hairline cracks near the corners.

And the big one at work, I bought it through I think at the time was either Tenaquip or Mc master Carr maybe even ackland grainger, but I don’t even think they make them any longer.

It helped that I also added the aluminum plates under and those smoother running 5 inch wheels,

One factory I worked at the guys would set the cabinet on an angle iron base, weld angle iron up the sides, then across the top, making an exo-skeleton for the box. Then put 1/4″ plate on top with a vise mounted to it and big 6″ casters so they rolled around nice. Made a nice work surface for beating on and the cabinet itself never took the abuse. Mostly mechanical trades though.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice setup @boschmanbrian, The mechanics chest that I have in the shop has a “coat locker” attached to the side. Great for the larger tools. chemicals that don’t fit in the drawers.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Even with all of the positive reviews of the US General Line, there is something in me that is just a wee bit hesitant with the HF options. I know it is silly, but I think I would still prefer to spend a bit more and get the Milwaukee or something comparable.

you should check them both out and do a comparison. You might be surprised at how well the HF one holds up. The husky is probably the cheapest option but it has held up so far under decent usage. The new husky has better paint on it, a matte black vs the high gloss one I have.

you should check them both out and do a comparison

I have gone in to HF several times to play around with them and load them up and see how they respond, but really it is a question of how durability, and I just cannot tell that from playing around with it in the store :\

I am willing to save up a bit more to get a nicer product, so I think HF is off the table for now.

John S

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have gone in to HF several times to play around with them and load them up and see how they respond, but really it is a question of how durability, and I just cannot tell that from playing around with it in the store :\

I am willing to save up a bit more to get a nicer product, so I think HF is off the table for now.

I do think you can do better of with a better product. I can’t think of a single thing from HF that I would say is best in quality or workmanship.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

A good quick check is to see if there is any play or slop in the drawer glides. There should not be any, yet the drawer should operate freely and smoothly. Generally, sturdy construction/accuracy/and good hardware there is an good indicator of the care put into the rest of the box. Ones with ball bearings are loads better than just steel sliding on steel. Again though, there should be no slop in the bearings.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

One factory I worked at the guys would set the cabinet on an angle iron base, weld angle iron up the sides, then across the top, making an exo-skeleton for the box. Then put 1/4″ plate on top with a vise mounted to it and big 6″ casters so they rolled around nice. Made a nice work surface for beating on and the cabinet itself never took the abuse. Mostly mechanical trades though.

Couple factories the maintenance guys would do the same. Set the cabinet on welded angle iron heavy duty casters. This seem to work well for them.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.115 seconds