dcsimg

Mechanics Tool Chest

This topic contains 127 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Hey guys,

I am in the market for a tool chest combo… Torn about whether I want something like 40-46” or wider (52-60”). Part of it depends on whether or not I want to deal with getting it down into my basement shop (and another likely move in a few years)…

Anyways, I am impressed with Milwaukee’s offering, and Husky seems to have a comparable model or two. I am also really intrigued by Menards and their Masterforce chests (I like the drawer latch mechanism), and I have looked at the different Harbor Freight and Craftsman options…

I can’t justify the cost of Snap On or higher end professional boxes. I might be able to do something like an Extreme or Montezuma box, but I would have to just get the bottom chest for now because of cost.

Any experience with any of the above options?
    Any other recommendations?
    What do you guys like and use?

John S

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I can’t believe how much some of the tool boxes cost. The Menard’s boxes are nice. I think HF boxes are one of their quality things and a sweet price if you catch them on sale. I had one of their service boxes and loved it. You may think about a smaller box and get the side box add on if you think it will have to go up and down steps many times. I think no mater what size you get it will probably have to be emptied for steps.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice to see you here John. Hope all is well.
    I picked a Milwaukee box last summer. I’m very happy with it. Like you I couldn’t justify Snap-on or others in that price range.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I picked a Milwaukee box last summer. I’m very happy with it.

Good to hear from you @ronw. Thanks for sharing – do you think the soft-close feature will ever wear out and be more of an issue than a benefit?

Did you happen to look at the Husky offerings that are comparable to the Milwaukee box? They have a few boxes very similar in size and price, but they offer slightly more storage space.

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

good to hear from you again John, I think some of the Dewalt or Milwaukee offerings at HD are really nice and heavy duty units. Dealing with a older house and stairs, I would think about the smaller unit. (speaking from someone who has moved to many heavy things up and down stairs) Craftsman has some decent units also.

I just stay away from the Menards options for the most part, I have never been impressed with their private label stuff.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I picked a Milwaukee box last summer. I’m very happy with it.

Good to hear from you ronw. Thanks for sharing – do you think the soft-close feature will ever wear out and be more of an issue than a benefit?

Did you happen to look at the Husky offerings that are comparable to the Milwaukee box? They have a few boxes very similar in size and price, but they offer slightly more storage space.

I don’t see the glides wearing out. They hold up in kitchens well. But guess it could happen. I do like that they help the drawers close. And keep them closed when moving the box around my shop.

I did look at a few of the offerings from Husky. Most looked to have thinner gauge steel in the drawers than the Milwaukee or DeWalt.

Ron

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I have been very happy with my harbor freight box. But I dint use it very much. I guess it depends on how much and what you are using it for. I don’t have mine loaded up very much though.

Clev08
    Pro

I picked up the top half of the 46″ Milwaukee storage chest a couple weeks ago. Couldn’t be happier with it! The drawer slides and soft close feature work better once you have some weight in the drawers. The built in out sets are a nice convenience. I looked at some craftsmen and masterforce brand ones and they don’t compare in my opinion.

Attachments:

Great feedback so far. I think the 30” Milwaukee is looking more and more like my best bet, though I would probably prefer to do the 46” milwaukee or 52” husky… but I will be much happier when I likely have to move out the smaller unit in a little over a year.

As you all know, I love my l-boxxes and l-racks, but a mechanics tool chest just makes a ton more sense for quick access to tools you don’t have to move around a ton. I need to reconfigure my setup and I think one of these tool chests is a step in the right direction….

Along with my 80/20 cabinets or Workmo, whichever I end up going with….
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/workmo-by-sortimo-expanding-the-l-boxx-system/page/6/

John S

Clev08
    Pro

Yeah, for the price of the workmo storage I would definitely go with a mechanics tool chest. And the 30″ will be much easier to move around later.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

John S before buying one of the newer Milwaukee or HD boxes check out ITB, International Tool Boxes. Well made inexpensive. Check out the top and bottom box combos for around $1800. Once you find what models you like do a search for even lower prices.

https://www.toolsource.com/international-tool-boxes-m-27853.html?sort=20a&page=1&zenid=q08fuh0vj8jfvh79frlr4b3pj1

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Great feedback so far. I think the 30” Milwaukee is looking more and more like my best bet, though I would probably prefer to do the 46” milwaukee or 52” husky… but I will be much happier when I likely have to move out the smaller unit in a little over a year.

That’s the one I purchased. And works well for my current needs. But sometimes wonder if I should have went with the larger one. It fills up fast.

Attachments:

Ron

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have the full set of the husky tool chest. it works great for what I use it as, my shop storage, i wouldn’t want to move it anywhere. Harbor Freight has the 44 inch famous one that quite a few people use south of the border, I know the guys on garage journal weld tables and stuff to go over the tool chest to integrate them in to the bench system.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have the 42″ from Costco. Very sturdy and affordable.

The Husky chest is slightly bigger at around the same cost.

No matter which one you get down into the basement, it will be a pain to get it back out. The bottom portion of any size chest is heavy.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

@supimeister look at Minnesota Home Outlet, they do not always have the Milwaukee or Dewalt boxes buy the do have great deals on scrach and dent stuff. They appear to be a clearance outlet for HD. Always some good deals there.

There are two types of too boxes, those that have scratches and those that will have scratches.

https://www.mnhomeoutlet.com/storage-organization.html

I have a couple of different ones, both from Canadian tire (probably comparable to Craftsman) one relatively cheap one and a nicer one, there is no comparison, the nicer box didn’t cost that much more since they were bought on high discount sales but it is a lot better. If I had to do it again, for my needs, I would wait and buy the better/best of the cheaper brands on sale.

my $0.02 worth

PS agree with the scratch comment by @kurt@welkerhomes.com

Will

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

But sometimes wonder if I should have went with the larger one. It fills up fast.

Ron they sure do but then you get to buy another one and fill it up. The next one go big like 55″ and about 6′ tall and you’ll have plenty of room for a while. You can get an ITB set like that for around $1700 shipped.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

But sometimes wonder if I should have went with the larger one. It fills up fast.

Ron they sure do but then you get to buy another one and fill it up. The next one go big like 55″ and about 6′ tall and you’ll have plenty of room for a while. You can get an ITB set like that for around $1700 shipped.

I think that’s called Parkinson’s law; the stuff you have expands to fill the space you have to put it. lol Buy a box — fill — repeat.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

6′ tall would do me no good. Couldn’t see anything in the top drawer or two. lmao

Ron

@supimeister look at Minnesota Home Outlet, they do not always have the Milwaukee or Dewalt boxes buy the do have great deals on scrach and dent stuff. They appear to be a clearance outlet for HD. Always some good deals there.

There are two types of too boxes, those that have scratches and those that will have scratches.

https://www.mnhomeoutlet.com/storage-organization.html

Ah, I wish I could – I am in Chicago now…

No matter which one you get down into the basement, it will be a pain to get it back out. The bottom portion of any size chest is heavy.

Touche… but 288 lbs vs. 386 lbs is a big difference between the 30” and 46” milwaukee options….

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.527 seconds