dcsimg

Mechanical lubricant

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I normally spray the rack and pinion gear in my Table Saw as well as the lifting crank with silicone.

I need to rethink that. After cutting all of the Boral I could not lower the blade due to the dust binding the spindle bolt. Even blasted it with air pressure, gunk was a problem.

What are the options?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

powdered graphite lube.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Graphite works really well. It lubricates while not attracting dust grime. You can find it where lock sets are sold as it is generally used to lubricate lock cylinders.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

I’ll have to try that.

I use WD-40 for the riser rods on my Bosch 4100. I’ve never had a problem with sawdust sticking to it, but always wondered if there was something better.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If by Boral, you are talking about a type of Fiber cement siding, the dust created by that stuff is terrible. having any type of lubricant that is not “dry” ti will stick to it like glue. Blasting with compressed ari to remoce then possibly a cleaner to remove the fine particles. re-lubricate with your silicone spray.

I would recommend cutting the Boral with a circular saw and guide or a shear to make the linear cuts, cutting on a table saw is just asking for problems.

even the Miter box we use when installing fiber cement gets blown out well a few times a day to keep it clear of dust.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Boral has no silica dust in it its fine. I have used pb blaster dry lube and it doesnt gum any thing up but even with that we blow it off with a air nozel every friday or if we have a heavy day of use.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I used an arsenal of tools to trim this out.

I will try graphite

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I need to get some graphite too. I seem to let it get so bad that things get near breaking before I clean it out.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I use one of those teflon/wax lubricants they use for motorcycle chains when I need a lube that won’t attract any crud onto the surface. Otherwise on my own 4100 with dust control modifications I’ve avoided dust buildup since I’ve improved dust extraction beneath the table.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

I just ordered parts for my Bosch table saw. The threaded rod that comtrols the lifting actually became slightly bent, making it difficult to raise. I tried greasing it up a bit, but eventually, I broke one of the plastic gears too.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I just ordered parts for my Bosch table saw. The threaded rod that comtrols the lifting actually became slightly bent, making it difficult to raise. I tried greasing it up a bit, but eventually, I broke one of the plastic gears too.

One of our 4100’s had to have some of those parts replaced too. Too much dust and we forced it up and down.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

One of our 4100’s had to have some of those parts replaced too. Too much dust and we forced it up and down.

We have only been using this part time on site for about 18 months. I was surprised that it became so tight, so soon.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

If it wasn’t for the Boral every thing would be fine with the silicone I use.
    I do it once a month or so and keeps the saw operating smooth. I hit the rails on my sliding CMS too

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

If it wasn’t for the Boral every thing would be fine with the silicone I use.
    I do it once a month or so and keeps the saw operating smooth. I hit the rails on my sliding CMS too

Yeah I have found there is no way around that boral dust. It’s so fine and gets everywhere. We try to cut it outside with dust extraction

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dry Graphite is an option as well as some teflon lubricants that dry. They basically provide a dry teflon coating like on the pans used in the kitchen.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

On the other hand, you could just get a crappy table saw like I have where there is so much slop between the threads that they just will not get clogged. 🙂

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Yeah I have found there is no way around that boral dust.

What is it?? Same as Hardie??

Dirty

Clev08
    Pro

I use one of those teflon/wax lubricants they use for motorcycle chains when I need a lube that won’t attract any crud onto the surface. Otherwise on my own 4100 with dust control modifications I’ve avoided dust buildup since I’ve improved dust extraction beneath the table.

They should use that in the factory since most tools create some form of dust. I can always tell that surfaces have lubricant on them because of the dust that sticks to it.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

@dirtywhiteboy

http://www.boralamerica.com/TruExterior

but specifically poly-ash
    “The proprietary polymer chemistry and coal-combustion products (ash) add a level of inert properties with virtually no moisture cycling, making it ideal for exterior applications. Consisting of more than 70% recycled materials,”

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy

http://www.boralamerica.com/TruExterior

but specifically poly-ash
    “The proprietary polymer chemistry and coal-combustion products (ash) add a level of inert properties with virtually no moisture cycling, making it ideal for exterior applications. Consisting of more than 70% recycled materials,”

I haven’t seen this one out here. The hardie is very big here.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.377 seconds