dcsimg

Max Framing Nailers

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

A few years back, they were pretty much considered the gold standard. I know they are now made in Taiwan, and I’ve seen a couple complaints about them, but are they still a good, or the best framing gun? Any of you production framers, and/or remodelers using them?

The new Bostitch I’ve heard good things about, as well.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have always thought Max to be a top line naileer. It seems like everyone around here is Hitachi with a few older Paslode or other odds and ends mixed in. We are mostly Paslode and Hitachi with a Makita, Bosch and Milwaukee mixed in.

I have always thought that the Max High pressure system was pretty neat and even looked into buying a setup especially for the applications for nailing to concrete and steel. I just have not had a large enough project to justify the purchase, ir if I have, I was unsure about the suitability of a nail application vs a screw like a tapcon. at least with the screws, you can tell if they are going to hold or not.

Clev08
    Pro

I have not used a Max framing nailer but the brand nailers are really nice. I know that Max also produces nailers for big box brands, but the sales guy wouldn’t tell me which brands.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I have two that I bought about 3 years ago. They rarely come out of the truck.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I’m looking to buy a framing nailer, I read the reviews ( a lot ) and I still don’t know which one: Hitachi, Bostitch, Max.
    Or go el cheapo way: $100 framing nailer, canadian tire or king stuff.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

The Max were not terrible. We are just so used to the consistency of our Paslodes, that anything else seemed weird. When the Max’s were new out of the box, they worked well. After about 6 months, you could tell the power was not the same. Had them rebuilt while still under warranty, and that helped a little.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the Max SuperFramer….it’s been fantastic in limited use. It hits very hard and has little recoil…and it’s very compact and light for a framer. I will note that it only shoots 3 1/4″ nails while others can handle up to 3 1/2″ spikes. Mine is a recent model as well…built in Taiwan.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I’ve used the Max coil super framer, my boss has 2 of them. We only use them for plywood. When bump nailing you can exhale a lot of nails quickly. We got the guns last year for a large framing project. All the plywood on the exterior walls and interior sheer walls was spec’d to be nailed every 4″ on the edge of the plywood and 8″ in the middle (that comes out to just about a 100 nails per sheet). The coil Max kept up fairly well. The only complaint was that it struggled to drive the nails to a consistent depth. The gun is an air hog. When nailing off plywood, the nails will progressively go from too deep, to too high, then back down to too deep.

As far as quality is concerned. One of the two guns did break a few months ago. The barrel broke so that it’s only a half circle. It’s unusable, I don’t know if it’s fixable.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I have the Max SuperFramer….it’s been fantastic in limited use. It hits very hard and has little recoil…and it’s very compact and light for a framer. I will note that it only shoots 3 1/4″ nails while others can handle up to 3 1/2″ spikes. Mine is a recent model as well…built in Taiwan.

Which one do you have? Coil, or straight racks?

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Mine are both stick nailers. I have never used a coil nailer other than the roofing version. Kind of a regional thing here I think.

hitachi.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Mine is a stick nailer.

hitachi.

@asgoodasdead, Thanks for reading the original post and responding in kind. Your post was enlightening… Who mentioned Hitachi?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Mine is a stick nailer.

hitachi.

@asgoodasdead, Thanks for reading the original post and responding in kind. Your post was enlightening… Who mentioned Hitachi?

he asked if Max are the best framing nailers. I said hitachi.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have used the Max guns and like them. There is that it doesn’t bump fire and that I don’t like. Because it’s made in Taiwan doesn’t mean a lot to me as so are the grex and many other guns including my Hitachis.

hitachi.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

I’ve never heard of a framing nailer that only shoots 3 1/4 nails, or a coil framing nailer for that matter. It could be that they just aren’t sold around here…

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve never heard of a framing nailer that only shoots 3 1/4 nails, or a coil framing nailer for that matter. It could be that they just aren’t sold around here…

If I recall, the Bostitch (aka boat anchor) that I had prior to the Max was the only one available locally that accepted 3 1/2″ nails. Both guns are the 21* plastic collated type…no idea if that plays into things or not.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

Good info, guys. Thanks.

I found a tool test on Tools Of The Trade. I can’t remember if there is a rule against posting links here, but here it is. If that’s verbotin, I’m sure a Mod will delete it and wag his finger at me.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/nail-guns/tool-test–framing-nailers_1.aspx

@dabbs. @chadm.

From what I can gather, Max is pretty mediocre, middle-of-the-road stuff now. I’ve used a lot of Porter Cable, Hitachi, and Senco. My trim guns are Senco, and I really like them, but I wouldn’t go with Senco for a framer.

I’ll probably go with Hitachi, Paslode, or Bostitch, for a new one.

Delta

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro

I’ve never heard of a coil framing nailer.

What do your roofers around there use?

Delta

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

Yep, Max and Bostitch make a coli framer. Other brands might have them too, but I haven’t looked into it.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I found a tool test on Tools Of The Trade. I can’t remember if there is a rule against posting links here, but here it is. If that’s verbotin, I’m sure a Mod will delete it and wag his finger at m

I think you are good…you didn’t link something trying to make a sale, it’s just informational.

I still think the Max is a high quality gun…and frankly I’m surprised that they are saying the Bosch is at the top end given that it was discontinued.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.942 seconds