dcsimg

Masonry Dust and the Bosch Blower GBL 550 ?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  theamcguy 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Ok, so it’s very important for me to blow the wall with a blower after doing any grinding or quick-cut for delamination of the brick to chip out or point on High Rise. Normally I see the Makita blower on sites and rarely the bosch. I was wondering who else here has any first hand experience with their Bosch blower and reviews. It’s important to blow the wall so the dust doesn’t stick and its clean, also for a good bond. I also like to blow the silica dust away from the other user when deploying the quick cut sideways for brick so he can see through the dust and not fill our clothes since we use respirators. I like to blow the tools out also and so forth.. Any reviews on the Bosch blowers and model numbers? Thanks guys!

@suipmeister @bethepro could a blower be “thought about” for adding to the rewards list? Thx

Attachments:

A Working Pro since 2004

That makes sense and a good application for this. I could see this being a good tool for site work.

Orange County, CA

@suipmeister could a blower be “thought about” for adding to the rewards list? Thx

I wish I had this kind of influence to be able to swing the magic wand and make it appear. This is a better question for the site admins – Marco and Jenny (tag @bethepro)

John S

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@suipmeister could a blower be “thought about” for adding to the rewards list? Thx

I wish I had this kind of influence to be able to swing the magic wand and make it appear. This is a better question for the site admins – Marco and Jenny (tag @bethepro)

Bosch does not offer a blower in their current North American product line. The Be the Pro community focuses on professional power tools and applications.

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That’s too bad. The blower is an very important tool for our highrise work to blow dust off the wall when grinding and before laying brick. Also to blow the power tools out since so much silica is present on our jobs. I have used Bosch blowers before but maybe they were old models. Thanks

A Working Pro since 2004

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Bosch does not offer a blower in their current North American product line. The Be the Pro community focuses on professional power tools and applications.

TBH I don’t understand this post! The blower has every application to my professional work and every other swing stage doing masonry restoration that I have every worked with. I understand you don’t offer it, but to assume that it has no professional power tool application is just wrong.

A Working Pro since 2004

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We havr used blowers when replacing roofs and to clean them upmwhen done.

TBH I don’t understand this post! The blower has every application to my professional work and every other swing stage doing masonry restoration that I have every worked with. I understand you don’t offer it, but to assume that it has no professional power tool application is just wrong.

@utopia78 – I think you misunderstood what they meant to communicate. I believe this blower is considered a DIY category tool in Europe (could be wrong since it is not green) – but “technically” as a lawn care tool, it is not going to be considered a power tool I don’t think.

Thus, it was not a comment to disregard the fact that you would and could use the tool professionally, but simply that the category of the tool is neither “pro grade” or a power tool (or maybe just a power tool – it might be pro grade, as I said, since it is not green)

Hope that clarifies, though @bethepro can certainly verify what they meant to say better than I can 🙂

John S

redwood
    Pro

This another reason why I won’t switch to Bosch for cordless tools. My 18V Makita blower is one of my most used tools.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

No problem John. If I could have taken that the wrong way many other could have also so I think that the wording my need a little work. Don’t get me wrong, I love bethepro and will continue to participate, learn and really benefit from being a member. I also love the blower. Since starting high-rise and brick work the blower has been a critical power tool to our arsenal. This is with many companies not just one here and there. We end up normally having the plugged Milwaukee blowers but have had more than enough Blosch blowers also. After grinding it is critical to blow the dust off the wall for pointing or laying new brick or the old dust will suck the water out of the new mortar and it fails or looks awful. I have tried garden blowers and such, but the small form of the blower and small end provide perfect power for removing silica dust on the wall, our machines and power tools, from ourselves (silica dust is a big isssue in Canadian Health regulations) and even directing the dust when doing heavy quickcut delamination of the brick leading to improved safety for the power-tool user.

A Working Pro since 2004

I also love the blower. Since starting high-rise and brick work the blower has been a critical power tool to our arsenal

It really does sound like it is an essential tool for you guys! For now, you join the ranks of those of us who are suffering from NAINA – not available in North America 🙁 🙁

No problem John. If I could have taken that the wrong way many other could have also so I think that the wording my need a little work.

Yeah, just trying to offer an alternative for why it was worded as such… it also looks like the post may have submitted before they finished typing everything out. Oh well.

John S

Milwaukee has an 18v blower that I will be ordering today for my shop. I will be using it for cleanup, dusting off items, and blowing debris out of the truck left behind from rough lumber. I am sure there will be a few other uses too.

I also see the makitas almost exclusively for corded and the stihls for gas powered. A very common proffesional tool, I use them very frequently. Bosch and any other tool company should consider making a cordless professional grade unit.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I’ve only ever used the corded type! Would love to see a blower that would work for our application that was cordless!

A Working Pro since 2004

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

agreed I use blowers on site often. Mostly to clear the floors before laying out and snapping my lines. I could see this for blowing out the sawdust on new home construction as well

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I know Makita has some nice ones like the corded 5.5 amp blower.

On lots of websites this is considered a leaf blower. But to me it’s the only blower I have really seen in High Rise Masonry in the past 10 years. Some sites have 5 of them, one for each stage crew

I could totally see your application for blowing the sawdust away to do chalk lines and so forth.

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie

OLD THREAD WARNING.

Couldn’t really find a better place to put this and ask Chris what he thinks about this.

Lee Valley has just added this to their list of goodies for sale. Was wondering what you guys think.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=74167&cat=51&ap=1

I genarally hate dust masks, but they are a must when working at times. Any other ones out there that are highly tooted? I’m thinking of upgrading my older one that has seen better days.

@doobie nice find . That unit looks like a nice lightweight design and it’s priced well for a respirator .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

@doobie nice find . That unit looks like a nice lightweight design and it’s priced well for a respirator .

I have asked LV via email what the weight of the mask is and I will compare it to the one I have. But it says it’s not available til mid-April. I assume they have one at their Head Office though.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

That should be good respirator and the cost is very nice.
    I have asked LV via email what the weight of the mask is and I will compare it to the one I have. But it says it’s not available til mid-April. I assume they have one at their Head Office though.

Seems like a good deal, the P100 NIOSH are good filters.

A Working Pro since 2004

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.465 seconds