dcsimg

Maloof Inspired Dining Table

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 122 total)
  • Author

Now that I finished my chairs, I started building my dining table. It will be 42 inch round made out of solid walnut. I bought all the wood, cut some of the joinery for the legs and table supports and made the base. So far this project is going pretty quickly.

Here are a couple of pics of milling the center column with my large router and two edge guides. Love this router and the two edge guides allow me to trap the piece to prevent any missed cut. There is a cove cut on each corner – used a 3/4 inch cove bit and the two fence set-up worked great for that cut.

Next up is a tenon on each center leg support to fit the dados in the center column.

Orange County, CA

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Now that I finished my chairs, I started building my dining table. It will be 42 inch round made out of solid walnut. I bought all the wood, cut some of the joinery for the legs and table supports and made the base. So far this project is going pretty quickly.

Here are a couple of pics of milling the center column with my large router and two edge guides. Love this router and the two edge guides allow me to trap the piece to prevent any missed cut. There is a cove cut on each corner – used a 3/4 inch cove bit and the two fence set-up worked great for that cut.

Next up is a tenon on each center leg support to fit the dados in the center column.

Great project. Good luck on it. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

j

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Me too; looking forward to following this build.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Now that I finished my chairs, I started building my dining table. It will be 42 inch round made out of solid walnut.

That is a heck of a table right there. Did you post pics of the finished chairs? I must of missed them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Sounds like a fun project. Gonna have to follow this one.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Should be interesting. Maloof is recognised as one of the masters of the craft.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I will be following this thread closely, as this is something on my to do bucket list.

Will

Now that I finished my chairs, I started building my dining table. It will be 42 inch round made out of solid walnut.

That is a heck of a table right there. Did you post pics of the finished chairs? I must of missed them.

Yep- I had some pics in my shop on the “Gearing Up for my Next Project” thread:

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/gearing-up-for-my-next-project/page/16/

Orange County, CA

I think that this one will not take me that long – it actually seems like a breeze compared to the chairs! If I can find a few hours today I plan on cutting the tenons on the leg supports and Domino or Dowel (have not decided which) joints on the feet and table supports and then it will be ready for glue-up. I could cut the profiles on the feet and supports, but I am thinking to keep everything square to make the glue up easier and then cut the profiles, but I need to think it through – it is a process with four sections to keep it all square. More pics to follow…

Orange County, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I love walnut and are very excited to see what you do with it!! Maybe some Black Walnut inlays???

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Glad the table has started. This time you’ll just have to make one instead of four. Probably less sanding too. Looking forward to following this along.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sounds like interesting but fun projects. I too look forward to following the process.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Just a quick update:

I got the base, legs and table support parts cut to size, cut the miters, used Dominos to reinforce the miters and started the glue-ups. I have to do one at a time as it is a little complex with the angles and miters.

Using a top like the one on my MFT makes the process easier as I can clamp some of the individuals pieces to the table to prevent movement when applying pressure to the clamps. I used wedges to help keep things square. It is a more difficult glue-up than it looks or than what I originally was thinking. I am glad I kept the pieces square for this step rather than cutting the profiles of the feet and top out first because it does give more of a surface for the clamps.

I am hoping to get the 4 base assemblies glued today so I can cut the profiles and machine them with a router tomorrow.

Orange County, CA

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

How do you find the walnut in your neck of the woods? Expensive, affordable?

Glueing up the miter cuts it’s a royal PITA.
    I put a pic how I did it. C-clamps holding the dogs in place and the pipe clamps on the dogs clamping the work piece.

Attachments:

@MrToolJunkie I love the look of walnut,
    Looking forward to following this build also,
    Thanks for the progress pictures and update,

How do you find the walnut in your neck of the woods? Expensive, affordable?

Glueing up the miter cuts it’s a royal PITA.
    I put a pic how I did it. C-clamps holding the dogs in place and the pipe clamps on the dogs clamping the work piece.

It is not cheap – but not overly expensive. I usually get it for around $5.75 per bd ft – $6.50 per bd ft. Sometimes I buy several hundred bd ft at once and can get a little price break – but storage of that much becomes a pita in a small shop. It is slightly less than cherry here, but more than hard maple. I am in So Cal area. I was very close to ordering Claro Walnut from No Cal/Oregon area and it would have been a little more expensive than what I bought, but logistics and shipping were hard to figure out so I just bought local.

Looks like you had a good way to clamp those miters. I usually use a band clamp, but with three sides it added another element to try and keep things square.

Last section is in the oven now so hope to start machining those parts tomorrow.

Orange County, CA

I love walnut and are very excited to see what you do with it!! Maybe some Black Walnut inlays???

No inlays on this table, but I am going to use “Bog Oak” to make dowels to pin my Domino joints – this type of oak is black from years spent in peat-moss bogs in Europe. It mimics Ebony for cheaper and more sustainable. I used it to plug the holes in my chairs and it came out well with solid contrast.

It is brittle and hard to machine/make dowels, however, so that presents a challenge.

Orange County, CA

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Just a quick update:

I got the base, legs and table support parts cut to size, cut the miters, used Dominos to reinforce the miters and started the glue-ups. I have to do one at a time as it is a little complex with the angles and miters.

Using a top like the one on my MFT makes the process easier as I can clamp some of the individuals pieces to the table to prevent movement when applying pressure to the clamps. I used wedges to help keep things square. It is a more difficult glue-up than it looks or than what I originally was thinking. I am glad I kept the pieces square for this step rather than cutting the profiles of the feet and top out first because it does give more of a surface for the clamps.

I am hoping to get the 4 base assemblies glued today so I can cut the profiles and machine them with a router tomorrow.

Thanks for update!!

I have never bought walnut or used in my shop.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Last section is in the oven now so hope to start machining those parts tomorrow.

What is in the oven for? Never heard of that.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.524 seconds