dcsimg

Makita XTP01 Brad Nailer

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  CB 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author

@dirtywhiteboy sorry, just got back from Lowes and picked up some 1-3/8 headless Hitachi .23ga. pins. I’ll try the, out shortly and let you know what happens. Also, pain in the butt but I’ve been having a really hard time locating a no mar tip for my gun. I think I misplaced the one that came with it.

@dirtywhiteboy so I tried out the 1-3/8″ nails and I guess I kind of verified your gripe. The pic shows a variety of mail strikes, most are proud. I found the no mar tip too. So, for some of the shots, the ones that are proud, I just kissed the wood with the gun. For the ones that are sunk, I pressed really hard with the no mar tip, which incidentally, worked quite well. When pressing hard, the nails sunk. I haven’t messed with the adjustment yet but I’m okay with that as long as I have a no mar tip as it will damage the finished product otherwise.

Attachments:

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DirtyWhiteBoy so I tried out the 1-3/8″ nails and I guess I kind of verified your gripe

I see your pins are high but ine were 1/4 to 3/8″ high. It was a no go. Even that what you have there is a high pins.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Yeah, I’m not too impressed with the fact that I have to bear down so hard to sink them. I have been using the 3/4″ and 1″ pins with no problems, the 1-3/8″ won’t be common for me but I don’t want to bury the nose to get a flush fit. I’ll try the adjustments today, I’m thinking if you were getting that kind of result with them adjusted in and I haven’t even tried the adjustment bolts I might be okay. I don’t want to return this as its so compact and light.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

DirtyWhiteBoy so I tried out the 1-3/8″ nails and I guess I kind of verified your gripe

I see your pins are high but ine were 1/4 to 3/8″ high. It was a no go. Even that what you have there is a high pins.

Makita definitely has a problem with this pinner sinking 1 3/8 pins. Bad when it wont sink in the end grain of pine. It never would handle shooting into hard wood.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Chris, thanks for the update. Got to wonder if there was a batch of bad pinners that passed through QC? And they sent them all to the island.
    Hopefully the adjustment works for your nailer.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Thanks Frank! I’m not sure but I’ve been really happy with thesis gun. It’s been sinking really well into oak. I’m now concerned though. I’ll mess with the depth control today and give it a try. When I pressed down solidly, it sank the pin past the point where I couldn’t see the shiny tip and right through the board on the face.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well that sucks that I can’t get a Makita to sink a 1 3/8 pin!!! I will call makita this week.

Dirty

Did you return yours Dirty or is this the original one you had?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I returned it 2 times and still don’t have one that works. I’m going to text the Makita rep on Monday.

Dirty

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I returned it 2 times and still don’t have one that works. I’m going to text the Makita rep on Monday.

why don’t you just return it and find a better nail gun?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Hope they get back to you soon. They really should have an answer to your problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

why don’t you just return it and find a better nail gun?

????? Any suggestions??

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy so I tried out the 1-3/8″ nails and I guess I kind of verified your gripe. The pic shows a variety of mail strikes, most are proud. I found the no mar tip too. So, for some of the shots, the ones that are proud, I just kissed the wood with the gun. For the ones that are sunk, I pressed really hard with the no mar tip, which incidentally, worked quite well. When pressing hard, the nails sunk. I haven’t messed with the adjustment yet but I’m okay with that as long as I have a no mar tip as it will damage the finished product otherwise.

I still don’t have a working 23 ga. pinner. I went to get the pinner from WoodCraft on Saturday and the guy couldn’t find it. Maybe the Makita rep picked it up but the people in the shop have no idea where it is. I talked to Makita USA and action was taken. I’m still hoping for a positive outcome.
    The word I’m getting is it won’t sink the Portacable pins but will sink some other brands. The Portacable have a lot of glue on them???

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I still don’t have a working 23 ga. pinner. I went to get the pinner from WoodCraft on Saturday and the guy couldn’t find it. Maybe the Makita rep picked it up but the people in the shop have no idea where it is. I talked to Makita USA and action was taken. I’m still hoping for a positive outcome.
    The word I’m getting is it won’t sink the Portacable pins but will sink some other brands. The Portacable have a lot of glue on them???

Stinks you still don’t have this pinner. I guess it’s possible that it is just the portercable pins. Did you ever try any other brands?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Dont get me wrong if it says it will shoot 1-3/8 pins it should sink them. But in actuality how often will you actually use pins that long?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Dont get me wrong if it says it will shoot 1-3/8 pins it should sink them. But in actuality how often will you actually use pins that long?

For me, it’s most of the time.

Typically when I use my pinner it is to cross nail a miter joint or to tack two pieces together while glue dries. Most of the time, I need the extra length of the 1 3/8″ pins, but I do have each of the smaller sizes available if necessary.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Stinks you still don’t have this pinner. I guess it’s possible that it is just the portercable pins. Did you ever try any other brands?

No I didn’t. The WoodCraft store being a Makita ProCenter could have done that for me and but they wanted me to but a 30$ box of Grex pins to see IF they would work… Really??

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

For me, it’s most of the time.

Typically when I use my pinner it is to cross nail a miter joint or to tack two pieces together while glue dries. Most of the time, I need the extra length of the 1 3/8″ pins, but I do have each of the smaller sizes available if necessary.

I use them a lot too. Too much to not have them work.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

No I didn’t. The WoodCraft store being a Makita ProCenter could have done that for me and but they wanted me to but a 30$ box of Grex pins to see IF they would work… Really??

Man why didn’t they try it and if it worked you would of bought the pins. Amazes me sometimes about stores.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.535 seconds