dcsimg

Makita XTP01 Brad Nailer

This topic contains 63 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  CB 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

thanks for the videos. Would be more tempting for me if i was running makita. Looks like it would be very useful to have for sure

Man the nails are small!

@monman wicked small! It’s amazing how little of an impression they make. I’ve only had it a day so can’t really weigh in on this thing but boy is it fun to use!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

yeah please let us know. im looking for brad nailer. btw does anyone if bosch makes one?

Bosch makes a 16ga battery powered finish nailer, but no other sizes.

Thanks for the video Chris!

just take note that the 16 gauge is actually a angled 16 gauge nailer.. make sure you can get angled 16 gauge nails in your area if you decide to get it as a prize.. angled 16 gauge nails are pretty much non existant in canada….

there was a 18 gauge cordless but it recieved extremely bad reviews when it came out

Great point Jeff. I don’t own one, so that detail slipped my mind. Locally, the angled 16 gauge nails are available, but much less than the straight type.

I haven’t heard of the 18 gauge gun…must have pulled it from the market??

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

HI Chrisk I cann’t get the sound on your videos. I need to update something i think??? Did you try the 1 3/8 pins?? I bought 2 and neither one will sink them. I returned one of them and the new gun would not sink the 1 3/8 pins. I took that one back to WoodCraft store and they kept it and wrote up a repair slip for it. I said it’s not broken it’s defective. That day they has 2 out on display shelves and the guy grabs those 2 and trys them,,, same thing pins left high. That’s now 5 bad guns??? I call the store and they tell me I can use that money for other makita stuff but I don’t need any. Or exchange it one last time. I said fine but we’ll open it and see if it works. No I can’t because then it will be a used gun?? Well if it works I’ll take it. If not it’s defective and back to Makita. You can see the Yelp reviews for Honolulu woodCraft that tells it all. So I go around all this BS and call Makita USA in Buford GA. Very helpful people and they will get it resolved and get me 2 working guns. I just talked with them today.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@dirtywhiteboy no I only tried the 3/4 nail. That is pretty worrisome. I’ll pick up some more pins today and give them a try. I only bought the one block of pins for some trim and 1/4 sheet for the back of a cabinet. I’m glad Makita pulled through. I’ve got the X2 chain saw, brushless grinder, 18v sander and the brushless barrel grip jig and they are awesome tools but I’ve never had to call in for warranty. I did call Bosch because of the problems I had with the MXH last year and they were great and got me a new tool within a couple of days. I hope I don’t have the same problem with the pinner!

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

So I go around all this BS and call Makita USA in Buford GA. Very helpful people and they will get it resolved and get me 2 working guns. I just talked with them today.

Good that Makita is going to take care of this for you Dirty.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dirty glad that Makita will make this right for you.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@chrisk1970, as always Chris, great to watch your videos, thanks for that, after seeing the Makita in action, I sure wish Bosch would start to make them.
    You said you loved the Ryobi, how often do you use it approximately,

Thanks @boschmanbrian as far as use I’m not a pro user so to gauge daily use I cannot but I use it very frenuently in my shop. On most of my glue ups I’ve used it hence the small brads but now I can see its use diminishing on the trim work and being used for panel assemblies and what not. It really is worth the purchase and buying like I did reconditioned will save a ton. I am torn between the new Dewalt finish and the Ryobi but I’ll probably get the Ryobi because of cost. Especially now, I’m pricing out how much it’s going to cost to build or have a shed brought in for my new shop. Money has to be pinched!!!

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@chrisk1970, thanks Chris, I have heard some good things about the nailer, I don’t do as many jobs as I used to , so even for someone like myself, it probably would be good.
    One day I would like to pick up a pinner also, budget permitting of course.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

chrisk Make sure you get the headless pinns. Some have a slight head and won’t work. My Hitachi shoots the slight head pins.

Dirty

@dirtywhiteboy THANKYOU!!!! I didn’t know they had those! I bought a pack of hitachi’s without head but I didn’t even realize I had to look for that!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

Thanks @boschmanbrian as far as use I’m not a pro user so to gauge daily use I cannot but I use it very frenuently in my shop. On most of my glue ups I’ve used it hence the small brads but now I can see its use diminishing on the trim work and being used for panel assemblies and what not. It really is worth the purchase and buying like I did reconditioned will save a ton. I am torn between the new Dewalt finish and the Ryobi but I’ll probably get the Ryobi because of cost. Especially now, I’m pricing out how much it’s going to cost to build or have a shed brought in for my new shop. Money has to be pinched!!!

if you decide to get teh dewalt check locally or online first for the bostich smart point… its the exact same gun rebranded and marked up severely… home depot canada started carrying the dewalt and it was originally listed at $200,but have since dropped the price twice now its at $149 locally… whereas the bostich version goes for $119 online

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy THANKYOU!!!! I didn’t know they had those! I bought a pack of hitachi’s without head but I didn’t even realize I had to look for that!

Yea some boxxes say slight head or partial head. Then some say headless. I also find that my air Hitachi leave a smaller puka that the Makita gun.

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@chrisk1970 Have you tried the 1 3/8 pins in your gun yet?? I went to get a gun that worked but took it to my van and tried it out and it didn’t work so I took it back in and gave it back to the wood craft guy.

Dirty

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

chrisk1970 Have you tried the 1 3/8 pins in your gun yet?? I went to get a gun that worked but took it to my van and tried it out and it didn’t work so I took it back in and gave it back to the wood craft guy.

Sounds like Makita has a big problem with this little pinner. What did the Wood Craft guy say?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

He said let me keep the wood with all the pins sticking out to show the Makita rep.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dirty too bad you still can’t get a working tool. Wonder if it is because all of your wood is so wet with the PT?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dirty too bad you still can’t get a working tool. Wonder if it is because all of your wood is so wet with the PT?

No that’s not it.. I was testing on dry ply wood.. Wet wood is softer than dry wood.

Dirty

@chrisk1970 Have you tried the 1 3/8 pins in your gun yet?? I went to get a gun that worked but took it to my van and tried it out and it didn’t work so I took it back in and gave it back to the wood craft guy.

@dirtywhiteboy no not yet, I haven’t been over to the local lumber store in over a week. I’ll try to head over to Brock’s or HD and pick some up, I need some pine sticks too for some more cabinet carcasses I’m making in the shop. Yesterday I was pinning some small trim pieces and it was working great but I’m a little concerned about the longer pins. I’ll try to pick some up today or at least before Friday, I want to make a picture frame and some lips get pins are in in order.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.569 seconds