dcsimg

Makita XCU03 36 V cordless chain saw review.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A while back I purchased the Makita XCU03 36V cordless chainsaw. I finally had an opportunity to use it a week or so ago to do some cleanup around the yard, trimming trees and cleaning up some brush.

The saw came with a single blade , 4 – 5.0 18V batteries and a dual battery charger.

The saw came disassembled in the box with the chain and cutter bar needing to be installed. the assembly was quite easy with the toolless blade tensioning device and blade lock. this also makes chain adjustments quite easy also.

I really enjoyed not having the continual idling and significantly reduced noise from a gas saw. The saw had plenty of power which was almost simultaneous with the pull of the trigger. It did not have that usual delay that you get with a gas saw while it increases it’s RPM’s with the pull of the trigger to get to full power.

Weight wise it did seem to be lighter that a similar sized gas saw. It was well balanced and easy to use.

I Trimmed a bunch of branches in my yard and a lot of small buckthorn from the area behind my house. I was cutting on and off for about an hour or so with no noticeable run down of power. I had also taken down 4 trees about 6 – 8 inches in diameter and 40 feet tall on a lot neay my house. I used the saw to limb them and buck them up to about 6′ sections to take home for firewood. I had enough power from the initial battery charge to do the work in my yard and to limb and buck all but about half of one of the trees. I was very impressed with the amount of cutting I was able to do on the initial battery charge.

There is an anti kickback safety on the saw similar to gas saws and an oil reservoir for bar oil to lubricate the chain as there is on a gas saw.

My only complaint on the saw is the safety switch which is a small button above the switch that needs to be pressed prior to cutting. It has a time out function in it so if you make multiple repeat cuts with a short interval between them, you do not need to push it a second time. In my opinion, this button will wear out easily with repeated use and be a maintenance issue. I would rather have seen some sort of mechanical double trigger instead of this electronic option.

All in all I was really impressed with the saw and am glad I added it to my tool arsenal. It will come in handy cleaning up lots and some land I have. As I have several other Makita cordless tools, if I have all of my batteries, I should be able to cut brush for a good part of a day without needing to charge batteries. I would highly recommend this tool.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Great review kurt. I was considering purchasing a chainsaw.
    it seems like the cordless technology is pretty advanced now…

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review, I’m curious as to how it will compare to the new Milwaukee

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice review Kurt. Doesn’t sound like the safety switch is not a deal breaker. And looks like it’s electric so not easily bypassed.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice review. Makita has a been making chainsaws for a long time. Makita bought out dolmar chainsaw back in ’91 I think. I wonder if this comes out of the same plant that makes Makitas gas powered lawn equipment? Chiansaws,hedge trimmers, string trimmers, ect.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Great review Kurt! I bought the saw with the same 4 battery deal recently. I had the same initial impression-lots if power and surprisingly quiet!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

Great review Kurt. If I needed a chainsaw more often I’d be lookin at a Makita now that I’m just embarkinng on with the Makita battery platform with a trimmer I just ordered. I don’t use my 20 year old Husqvarna very often due to it being gas run and sometimes going years apart using it. My Husqvarna gets lent out way more often than I ever use use it myself and a good cordless really makes more sense for me.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Great review Kurt. If I needed a chainsaw more often I’d be lookin at a Makita now that I’m just embarkinng on with the Makita battery platform with a trimmer I just ordered. I don’t use my 20 year old Husqvarna very often due to it being gas run and sometimes going years apart using it. My Husqvarna gets lent out way more often than I ever use use it myself and a good cordless really makes more sense for me.

That’s a good point and about the tool sitting and the gas going bad. Not a problem with batteries.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A while back I purchased the Makita XCU03 36V cordless chainsaw. I finally had an opportunity to use it a week or so ago to do some cleanup around the yard, trimming trees and cleaning up some brush.

Great review Kurt, Thank you for posting. I need a cordless chainsaw.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Great review, positive stories like this have me leaning towards Makita for yard tools.

Will

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.423 seconds